Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Reusable Lists and Archiving Tags (or at least putting them on hold)

winterkitten says:
Last year I made up a list of people to whom I wanted to send Christmas cards. I created a tag called ".cards" to keep it all in one place (btw I use "." to denote a short project and "+" to denote an ongoing one).

Once done, I realised that I could use this as reusable list for later this year. All I needed to do was search for tag:.cards and click on completed, select all, uncomplete them and I have my list of people to send cards to again next year.

The same technique can be used for any list that you want to reuse. The only problem is that RTM's autocomplete will still bring up the tag when entering new project tags. When I type in "." I only want to see current projects not projects I'm going to reuse in the future.

Fortunately, this is easily solved. Just go into Settings/Tags and change the tag prefix from "." (or whatever it is that you're using) to something else to indicate it is archived/on hold. I went with "º" (Mac: Opt-0) as it sorts near the end so gets it out of the way (ºcards).

When you want to reuse the list, just change the prefix back to whatever you use for current projects (or remove it if you don't use prefixes for current projects). Search for the tag, uncomplete the actions and you're ready to go.
Posted at 2:56am on January 8, 2012
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi winterkitten,

This is a really helpful tip (I should do this for my cards list!).

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 11 years ago
winterkitten says:
Thanks Emily, glad you found this useful. It was a nice surprise to get a year of Pro too! :-)
Posted 11 years ago