Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Gmail add-on suddenly not working

silvatek says:
I thought it was great! Really useful. I've been using the Gmail add-on for a few days now, but it's suddenly stopped working. The task list is there but it tells me that I have no tasks. Fortunately, RTM still shows my full task list.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Posted at 10:41pm on January 6, 2008
jason.lemieux says:
Lots of people are having this problem right now - I suspect the dev's know about it and will fix it soon. I hope!

Jason
Posted 16 years ago
robin.carriere says:
I'm having the same problem. I thought greasemonkey was the cause but doesn't look like it. It is in both my gmail and apps for your domain accounts.
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for reporting this. A couple of quick questions for anyone experiencing this issue:

1) Can I ask if you currently have the feature set to display all your tasks in Gmail, or if you have a filter (e.g. specific list) turned on? (This option is shown directly underneath the "Add task" field at the top of RTM for Gmail -- if you're showing all your tasks, it should say "Set task view here".)

2) Under 'Options', which option do you have set for:
- Sort by?
- Group by?
- Show in list?

Also, would it be possible to try clearing your browser's cache, restarting the browser, and seeing if the problem still occurs?

Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
rryan says:
Have tried all display options. Created a new profile with FF and have not tried on clean install of XP. On the clean install, it displayed once, then blanked. Also, on the clean profile, could get the RTM to display on left side, but no data.
Posted 16 years ago
jason.lemieux says:
Hey Emily,

I'd love to answer your question but it seems to be working now. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

Best,
Jason
Posted 16 years ago
silvatek says:
Attn Emily -

no filters, Sort by priority, group by None, show in list All tasks.

This is getting very frustrating. My list came back briefly yesterday and then disappeared a short while later.

It shows "No tasks" under the heading and above the lack of a list.

David
Posted 16 years ago
radmoose says:
On a related note, Make sure the task search box is empty. The box that is below the Add Task box and usually says "Set Task View here."

This one got me a few times. Somehow something got in there and changed the task view to no tasks.
Posted 16 years ago
silvatek says:
radmoose - that fixed it. Thanks!! Why on EARTH is that box populated by default? Makes no sense at all as it only shows an example. The fact that the example is there prevents any tasks showing!

Emily & RTM R&D please note!
Posted 16 years ago
silvatek says:
Just as a postscript, can I request that tasks can be filtered by category (Personal, Study, Work) in the Gmail add-on? I only use Gmail for personal emails and don't want to see any Work tasks.
Posted 16 years ago
silvatek says:
Oops sorry. Ignore my previous comment. I just found out how to do that. So all I need now is the ability to prioritise tasks when I create them via the Gmail extension. Or is that also already possible and I only need to find out how?
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
RTM for Gmail is not working for me .. any tips to get it going again??
Posted 16 years ago
silvatek says:
Todd - I presume you've read my story above re clearing the search box?
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
silvatek: There's a small icon to the left of the task name in the task details dialogue box, looking like a check mark. Click that to change priority.
Posted 16 years ago
silvatek says:
Thanks rajjan!

I hate these intuitive web page designs that aren't intuitive. Am I supposed to click on EVERYTHING to see what happens?

Happy now. :)
Posted 16 years ago
liquidmagic says:
I have the same issue. It disappeared this morning.
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Silvatek - regarding your comment: Just as a postscript, can I request that tasks can be filtered by category (Personal, Study, Work) in the Gmail add-on? I only use Gmail for personal emails and don't want to see any Work tasks.

If you create a "personal only" smartlist, you can then set the RTM extension to display only that smartlist and you have what you wish right now.
Posted 16 years ago
ivalladt says:
The addon is not working here, either. The RTM panel doesn't show up, and the little arrow can't be seen either. I deleted my .mozilla profile and started from scratch, installing only this extension. No way.

Any more ideas?
Posted 16 years ago
apmiller says:
My setting in GMail says that when I add a star it should create a task. This feature only works intermittently...anyone know why? Right now when I star a message nothing happens...it worked last night.
Posted 16 years ago
kzapth245 says:
Oh...RTM just disappeared from my firefox. What happened? I was using it last night. Now it doesn't work anymore. I don't even see it in my Gmaill
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
It happened to me this morning as well. No RTM panel at all. There is no "Tasks" panel in settings either. It is as if the extension has been disabled or removed. It does appear as active in the list of add-ons. Any ideas?
Posted 16 years ago
doughywilson says:
My RTM gmail panel disappeared completely yesterday from my personal email. However, when I logged into a different account in my google apps, it popped back up.

Gmail typically rolls out new changes to the general gmail accounts before they do so in google apps. If they break something, they don't want google apps customers to be upset. It's possible that Gmail made a slight modification to the structure of the gmail page, causing the RTM scripts to lose track of where they are supposed to dock the panel.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Disappeared for me this morning as well.
Posted 16 years ago
naor says:
Same happned to me, all worked excellent untill few hours ago.

What I've noticed is that although I CANT see the side bar at all - at the FF status bar I can see the messsage :"Reading www.rememberthemilk.com" ??
btw - Folders4Gmail also stopped working ????
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
My RTM disappeared this morning as well. No task panel, no arrow to launch open the panel. The Firefox add-in window says RTM is activated.

Question? I just started using RTM. One day of use and it flames out. Ideas?
Posted 16 years ago
skyer2000 says:
Disappeared here as well.
Posted 16 years ago
ivalladt says:
And I miss it much...
Posted 16 years ago
alexis.richardson says:
mine has gone too, and before it went the interface became buggy, for example a task edit window would not disappear, and task edits did not persist...
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
While this is by no means a solution to the problem, it will at least provide sidebar access to RTM until the developers figure out a fix

http://lifehacker.com/5002003/keep-your-to+do-list-in-the-sidebar
Posted 16 years ago
adeloso says:
+1
Posted 16 years ago
aaronw1 says:
no RTM/gmail for me, no tasks under settings, add-on is installed.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Mine also vanished under the new gmail in FF2 - the only thing I can add is that it reappeared under FF3 Beta - but I had to reinstall FF2 to get back all those other add-ins I've grown so fond of.
Posted 16 years ago
tuckergperry says:
I shed a single milky tear for the loss of my Gmail RTM list. No panel.

I patiently await its return.
Posted 16 years ago
free.thought says:
Gone here as well. No little arrow to open the panel, nothing.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Still missing for me as well. I've tried disabling/enabling and nothing.
Posted 16 years ago
I've been posting updates on this topic regarding the recent Gmail issue.

Google has made some significant coding architecture changes to Gmail -- they've been rolling out these changes gradually, so it affected some users first, and now seems to be affecting most accounts.

The RTM extension isn't currently compatible with the new architecture, unfortunately (it will usually work when the Gmail code changes, but this was quite a significant change and is likely to stop some other Gmail extensions from working too).

We're working as fast as we can to fix this and I will be posting again as soon as our extension is updated for Gmail's new code. Thanks for your patience!
Posted 16 years ago
nandakr says:
I will wait for this feature to work again ....
Posted 16 years ago
Okay, we have a new version of the extension available that works with Gmail's new code.

Firefox should update the extension automatically, but you can also manually tell the browser to update:

1) Go to the "Tools" menu in Firefox, then "Add-ons"
2) Click on the "Find Updates" button in the bottom left corner of the Add-ons window
3) Install the update to the Remember The Milk for Gmail extension when prompted
4) Restart Firefox

If you experience any further problems, please let us know. Thanks again for your patience while we worked to fix this issue!
Posted 16 years ago
waveneyavenue says:
Still not appearing I'm afraid. I only noticed mine disappearing a week or 2 ago, which look s like the time the new one was released?? Umm I wonder
Posted 16 years ago
philswenson says:
My gmail tasks list quit working today....

The tasks panel shows, just no tasks inside it.

I added a task, shows up in the RTM site, but not in gmail tasks.

Anyone else having this prob?
Posted 16 years ago
jhwright says:
my tasks panel has disappeared completely ...
Posted 16 years ago
jhwright says:
and i am a nincompoop! (and thanks for the little arrow that hides the tasks panel...)
Posted 16 years ago
dave607 says:
My problem seems to be different.
I can see my old tasks... I just can't create new ones.
I am able to create them by starring them, but the box to add new texts by typing seems to have disappeared.
Any thoughts?
Posted 16 years ago
boveejc says:
Like with dave607, the add new tasks function in Gmail was missing for me too. It appears as though my problem had something to do with a new setting in Better Gmail 2. I had previously changed the skin for Gmail, but once I reset this feature to "none" and refreshed the browser, the RTM add new task box reappeared.
Posted 16 years ago
ngermick says:
I seem to have inadvertently done the same thing. RTM was working great, then I started playing around with Better GMail 2, and now suddenly starring and/or labeling messages no longer adds tasks. My settings are correct. I uninstalled Better GMail and RTM and reinstalled RTM, but still no automatic adding of tasks.
Posted 16 years ago
ngermick, I think your Gmail account may be getting a new version of the Gmail code (sometimes new versions become available to some users before others, and they can temporarily break some of the RTM for Gmail functionality). We're checking into this -- once we have access to the new code, we'll be able to update the extension.
Posted 16 years ago
We've now updated this feature to fix the issues with the new Gmail code (you may need to clear your browser's cache, restart the browser, and load Gmail again). Hope this helps!
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.