Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Can I choose the Default Priority for a new task

martingchapman says:
The default priority for a new task appears to be no priority.
Is there any way I can choose what default priority level to apply to new tasks?
I would prefer it to be High.
Posted at 8:34am on September 29, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi martingchapman,
It's not possible to choose the default priority on a new task in any view, however if you created a Smart List that included priority:1 any new tasks added in that view would be added with priority 1.

Hope that helps a bit!
Posted 7 years ago
azclaire says:
Andrewski,

I'm missing something. I don't understand "if you created a SmartList that included priority:1 any new tasks added in that view would be added with priority 1."

SmartLists are based on existing conditions. So, I would expect priority:1 to return tasks that are already at priority 1.

How would you add a task to that SmartList if it isn't already at Priority 1 and then cause the task to be assigned priority:1 when it was added?

Can you give some examples?

Posted 7 years ago
Hi azclaire,
Smart Lists do show existing tasks, but they also apply to new tasks. For example, if you created the following Smart List:

list:Work AND location:office AND priority:1

it would show you all tasks that matched, but any tasks added in that Smart List would get each of those three properties as well.

Hope this helps!
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
andrewski,
Unfortunately the smart list option does not solve the problem.
It arises when I add a task from via an Evernote reminder. There is no control in Evernote as to the task parameters so the task is added using the RTM defaults, which for priority is "no priority" and for list is a normal (not smart) list.
There is no way in RTM to set a smart list as the default list so this is not a valid solution.

Could you please add a default parameter for priority to the settings, just like all the other default options.

Thanks - Martin.
Posted 7 years ago
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the feedback; I see what you mean! You can vote for this this topic in our Ideas Forum, and I've passed the specifics on to our development team for review.

In the meantime, it may be useful to consider adding a Smart List that would show any manner of tasks that you don't want to stay that way. For example, you could find any tasks without a priority, or specifically any tasks from Evernote:

priority:4
source:evernote AND priority:4

That way, you can run through that Smart List and update the tasks accordingly—once it's empty, you know your tasks are organized correctly. :)

Hope this helps a bit for now!
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
andrewski;
Vote cast as suggested.
Thanks for the tip regards the smart list, did not know about the "source:evernote" parameter, this will help.
Hopefully the developers will implement the requested priority default sometime.
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
@martingchapman I'm working on writing a simple Python script that would do this for you. But right now I'm running into a problem where the "source:evernote" search is not working when using the API. Once it gets fixed, I'll post a link to the script for you.
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
Robert;
Thanks for the "heads up" look forward to trying it out when it is ready.
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Maringchapman, took me longer than I expected, but here it is. Let me know if you have questions. I check the forums pretty regularly.

https://github.com/JBalloonist/rtm-python-scripts/blob/master/RTM/evernote.py

Rob

Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
@Rob,
Thanks for the update.
Although I am pretty PC savvy I do not know how to implement and use the script.
Can you post some instructions please.

Thanks - Martin.
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Martin,

I'm working on writing up some instructions that I will post to my website and link to here. They aren't difficult, but it is a few steps.
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
@Rob
Thanks very much.
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Martin,

This is still a draft and not complete, but can you take a look and let me know if the steps make sense?

Please let me know of any areas that you feel need clarification. Since I've been doing this a while it is hard to know if there is something the a beginner wouldn't know.

http://jballoonist.pythonanywhere.com/customize-remember-the-milk-even-if-you-arent-a-programmer/
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Martin, have you had a chance to review?
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
Robert,
Sorry but I have had a bereavement in the family and am the executor so do not have any free time at the moment.
Things should be sorted by the middle of February so will get back to it then.

Regards - Martin.
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Martin, I see you're back on the forums. Let me know if you've had a chance to review. Interested to hear your feedback.

Rob
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
Hi Rob,
The bereavement has been a long drawn out saga but coming to the end now.
Should be able to try this out shortly and post back soon.

Martin.
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
Robert
Have tried this out, got as far as
"python3 [your API key] [your shared Secret]"
But it comes back with
"bash: python3 [my API key] [my shared Secret] command not found"
In the python3 line I am including the square brackets but no spaces.

Any ideas?
Posted 6 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Martin,

I'm in the midst of my own issues at the moment (looking for a new job) but I'll try and take a look this weekend.
Posted 6 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Martin,

Revisiting this again. Re-reading your reply above I realized the problem:

Leave out the square brackets.

From there it should work then post on here and let me know.
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
Rob
Tried again without the square brackets, this is the result;

15:59 ~ $ pip3 install --user pyrtm
Requirement already satisfied: pyrtm in ./.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages
15:59 ~ $ git clone https://github.com/JBalloonist/rtm-python-scripts
fatal: destination path 'rtm-python-scripts' already exists and is not an empty directory.
16:00 ~ $ cd rtm-python-scripts/RTM
16:00 ~/rtm-python-scripts/RTM (master)$ python3 API Key Shared Secret
python3: can't open file 'API Key': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
16:01 ~/rtm-python-scripts/RTM (master)$

Of course I substituted the real API Key and Shared Secret.

Martin.
Posted 6 years ago
robert.ward says:
Martin, if you are willing, share your Python anywhere console with me. I'll be able to better diagnose from there to

On the top right click on "Share with others" then enter in my Python anywhere username - JBalloonist

Also feel free to email me. Probably easier to take things there going forward. It is the same as my RTM username except with names reversed - last name followed by first name @gmail.com

Rob
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
Thanks Rob,
Console shared and email sent.

Regards - Martin.
Posted 6 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hey Martin,

Just sent you an email. I'll be in touch further.
- Rob
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.