Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Best Way To Refresh A List

(closed account) says:
I usually have rmilk open on at least two machines. Is there a way to force the lists to refreash and get the changes I have made on the other machines? The only way I have found is to logout and back in.

Emily, mabey you could as a little refresh button just for me? :)
Posted at 4:57pm on August 16, 2006
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I doubt you're alone, flatiron32. I have RTM open on two machines just about 24/7, so I am often logging out and in to ensure what I see is current.
Posted 17 years ago
thierry says:
Isn't the browser's "refresh" button working to this end?
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
I guess the refresh button kind of works. It does not take me back to the list I was looking at and still seems awkward in an AJAX application. Rmail is alwasy tab two next to GMail. I never have to refresh Gmail. It knows the changes I make from any machine. The only think I have to do is login every two weeks or so.

As a Software Engineer myself I know how much pain users hitting refreash and back can be, so I tend to not use them in want I consider the fancier web apps.
Posted 17 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Clicking the list tab will force a refresh of that list.

The lists actually automatically check with the server every two minutes to make sure they are in sync -- this is important for shared lists so that you see the changes that other people make, but helpful if you're logged in on two machines as well :)

It's worth noting that the refresh will only occur if you have no tasks selected (otherwise you could be in the middle of changing something and it would lose what you were doing).

Hope this helps!
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
Ahhh!

I see the problem! This does not work for smart lists! I have all my due and past due tasks grouped into a smart task (and some other smart tasks).

Test Case:
1. Look at smart list on two machines.
2. Postpone a tasks on one machine.
3. Click the smart list's tab.

Expected Results:
Smart List is refreshed with task postponed.

Observed Results:
List Flickers like it is refreashing, but nothing changes.
Posted 17 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
My experience mirrors flatiron32's, but I will start paying attention to whether or not anything is selected on my lists when I return to them.

Thanks for the clarification, Emily, and for bringing this up, Flatiron32.
Posted 17 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
flatiron32, thanks for these details -- we'll check out how this is working with Smart Lists.
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.