Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

App for the milk - new rtm Desktop application in development

chrillo.at says:
I am currently developing a desktop client for rtm called "app for the milk". it is based on adobe air, offers offline / online syncronisation and is going to be launched this summer for free.

I am currently close to releasing an early alpha version and I would like to gather a few people willing to test it. if you are interested in this application and/or want help me with ideas and testing head over to

http://www.chrillo.info/app-for-the-milk/

and sign up. I just posted a demo video showing the running prototype. please check it out!
Posted at 7:45pm on June 2, 2009
(closed account) says:
This looks awesome. I've signed up.
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
thanks, I am just fixing a few more bugs. expect the alpha to go public next wednesday.
Posted 14 years ago
max.scheffler says:
It's looks really awesome. I'm looking forward to it.
Posted 14 years ago
psionmark says:
Looks good! Have signed up :)
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
the alpha is now ready for download --> www.chrillo.info/app-for-the-milk/ please check it out and help me by providing feedback
Posted 14 years ago
philipacamaniac says:
Looking forward to where this is going!
Posted 14 years ago
maximilian.scheffler says:
Hey,

I just downloaded your application and although it's an alpha I have not noticed any bugs so far.

The only thing I miss is the support of smartlists. It's already mentioned in the roadmap so I hope it this feature will be added soon.

Thanks for your great work!
Posted 14 years ago
jaap.kramer says:
Looks promising!

Some things i thought up when trying the alpha:
* the menu 'view - taks' should be 'view - tasks'
* when clicking the add task button, please bring the focus into the textbox and select the text already in it (now you first have to remove it). Clicking in that checkbox doesn't show te cursus, only until you click on the text that's in it.
* same applies for the search box
* The view list screen allows you to expand the list, but not to see only the tasks from that list
* Hotkeys!, i don't know what is possible with adobe air, but a hotkey (inside the app and windows) for creating a new task and such would be great
* search doesn't seem to be working

Keep up the good work!

Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
thanks for the input.

the first three points you mention can be fixed easily and hotkeys will be added as well with the beta.

search is still not complete. it only works in task view and only for the task name. The search logic is one of the hardest parts since it will also be needed for smartlists

"The view list screen allows you to expand the list, but not to see only the tasks from that list " does this mean there are tasks in a list where they are not supposed to be? or would you like to have a view like the tasks view for each list seperatly, so the other lists do not show up in it?

thanks again for your feedback
Posted 14 years ago
jaap.kramer says:
""The view list screen allows you to expand the list, but not to see only the tasks from that list " does this mean there are tasks in a list where they are not supposed to be? or would you like to have a view like the tasks view for each list seperatly, so the other lists do not show up in it? "

What i meant indeed was having a view like the tasks view for each list seperately. In this way i can easily only show my list with 'Work' related stuff and don't get bothered with the other list names or tasks.
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
ok this should also be possible to implement. this can probably already be done when the beta launches. I will ad it to my to do list. thanks for the clearifaction.
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
second alpha is out now - check for updates, or download at http://www.chrillo.info/applications/download.php?appId=2&v=0150

changes:

hotkey: ctrl+A = add new task
hotkey: ctrl+S = search
limited support for american date format(view only), can be changed in the settings
bugfix: add and search textfields now have focus right away

please check it out!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
looking good, this is the best one i've seen yet. have been looking for an air/desktop app to always have my tasks right at my finger tips.

does this sync at all if you're offline?
Posted 14 years ago
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
evbart,

I think it does. Have you watched the demo video and seen the examples there?
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at,

Thanks for creating the app.
Posted 14 years ago
mwp says:
I downloaded the alpha version. My task are not downloading. It says at the bottom "error #2032" What should I do?
Posted 14 years ago
mwp - see the comments on chrillo.at's website http://www.chrillo.info/applications/ for information on this error.
Posted 14 years ago
alecrust says:
I've created a Remember The Milk Adobe AIR app, download it from here:

http://www.alecrust.com/RTM.air

Let me know what you think!

Alec
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
@alecrust

That's not an app, that's an AIR window linked to rememberthemilk.com. I might as well have Firefox open on the RTM site.
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
I just released the another updated version. the app has progressed greatly since I first posted it here. it has a new UI, improved online offline sync and features advanced search like on the rtm website.

please check it out at www.chrillo.info/applications/appforthemilk/
Posted 14 years ago
angela.randall says:
Thanks so much - it's exactly what I need. Testing it now.. :)
Posted 14 years ago
angela.randall says:
It would be less scary if the buttons told you what they did when you hover over them.

I can see why you didn't have smartlists, and that's probably a good thing.

Also, I can't work out how to see/change/create repeating tasks. If I mark a repeat task as complete, what does it do? Does it understand the different types of repeats?
Posted 14 years ago
angela.randall says:
Hmm.

I moved a few hundred tasks into a new list using the website. The app has noticed the new list, but isn't showing the tasks in that list. They're still in the old list.

This was just to separate repeating tasks as I don't know what this app does with them (and I can't see which ones repeat in the app).
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
HI

repeating tasks are not yet implemented. the app is still in alpha stage. repeating tasks is very complex so it will take some time til I get this working but I plan on adding it.

smartlists will come once I have the search completly implemented, but its also on of the hardest things to do.

as for the second problem, try to go to settings and under sync click on the reset / sync button. it should sync up fresh with the rtm server and display them correctly.

please go to www.chrillo.info/applications/appforthemilk/ there is a small forum where you can post these kind of bugs, its easier for me to keep track of them that way.
Posted 14 years ago
angela.randall says:
Yeah, sorry. I tried to post on your bug forum before - it just tells me I'm a bad robot no matter what I write (I'm not!!).

Also, I should have been more specific. I've tried the reset and sync button and it does nothing. Sorry. In fact, today it looks like some tasks are in both lists.
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:

oh I am sorry, the answer to the robot quest would be just "no" - I should have illustrated that better. It's just the easiest form of captcha and I did not have the time to implement a real one. its all just slowly growing.

http://www.chrillo.info/applications/appforthemilk/bugs/7/

I set up a topic for this bug. Am I correct in my assumption that this only happens to repeating tasks or does this also happen with normal tasks? the problem with repeating tasks is that the app currently treats all repetitions of a repeating task as one single task and displays only the most recent task. Is there a difference between what the app displays and what the rtm site displays, in terms of where the tasks are located? like rtm shows it in inbox, the app shows it in "work", or if you go to the lists view (very left button , first option "lists") the task just shows up in multiple lists? its very strange since each task has a specific unique list-ID assign to it and it should be impossible for it to be in more than one list.

Within the next week I will release another version of the app that will have a debug mode that creates a detailed logfile that you could email to me so I can have a better Idea about whats going wrong.

please post your answer to the bug forum (if "no" works that is, It did when I tried, but its all new and still buggy.)

Posted 14 years ago
mjschmidt says:
@chrillo.at

Slick looking app, but have two problems:

1. It doesn't seem to be syncing automatically, although it says I am online. I have to manually sync it.

2. There should be another box for entering the time, or make it more obvious how to enter data & time for the "due" box. It would be nice if it showed due date _and_ time on the main list. Also, some people don't like 24 hour time, but there doesn't seem to be any way to change to 12 hour format.

Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
carmenbenfer says:
I really like this app. The only suggestion is to be able to pin it on top of other applications that you have open, so it is always on top.

Thanks
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
This is an awesome app! Thank you!

One thing I would like to be able to do is add notes from within the app.

Also, still trying to figure out how Syncing works, but I only just installed it today.
Posted 14 years ago
vitovt says:
Installed, but can't authorize. After installing check update widow shows and then main window. No "authorize me" button, as was descripted.
I've tried different versions of APP and AIR.
How can I start authorization manualy ?
Posted 12 years ago
quiltbuch says:
itovt says:

Installed, but can't authorize. After installing check update widow shows and then main window. No "authorize me" button, as was descripted.
I've tried different versions of APP and AIR.
How can I start authorization manualy ?

I have the same problem. Any solutions?
Posted 12 years ago
kungfustu says:
I can't see how to sign in, to connect it to my rtm account
Posted 12 years ago
jazzrat says:
I can't see how to sign in as well. What desktop app are most people using?
Posted 12 years ago
ch.cheah says:
same here... no authorize button after startup
Posted 11 years ago
dominika.gonsierowska says:
the same for me, can anybody help?
Posted 11 years ago
ihemani says:
same issue. tried all the versions.
Posted 11 years ago
marjancas says:
I can't see how to sign in either and none of the buttons work except the settings button at the bottom right corner. I just tried the most recent version.
Posted 11 years ago