Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Easy Grocery Shopping

(closed account) says:
The local grocery store has terrible reception for online use, and I find paper lists cumbersome. This is why I love RTM for iPhone. I've compiled my grocery list and separated them out by category, i.e. "Grain: Bread" and "Produce: Corn" and I check them as complete in the store. Not only does this allow me to determine what I need from which side of the store, it also helps in deciding what needs to be purchased or has expired thanks to the date completed. I just go through completed items and uncomplete what I need before my next trip!
Posted at 10:42pm on May 19, 2009
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Yeah, having them in order is pretty awesome for the store. :)

You'll find a lot of helpful tips for managing tasks for groceries on here; my favorite so far has been to tag the items with the stores where you can get them, e.g. "grocery" and "target"/"tesco"/"department store". That way you can create a Smart List for the store where you are to search that tag and get all the items you are able to while you're at that particular store.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Still new to RTM here (2 wks), but even with tags and smart lists, wouldn't the grocery items kinda clog up RTM? When I had an electronic grocery list, I had over 250 items on the long list that I selected from each week before I went to the store. It seems to me that these items would get in the way of my todo list. Not so? Can you separate them that completly? I guess it could work if I had 2 RTM accounts. Is that how you do it?
Posted 14 years ago
mehardin says:
No, a second account is not required. Just create a separate list within your current account. You should only see the items in the list when you are looking at that list. They shouldn't clog your other lists. If for some reason the items in your grocery list are showing up in your smart lists or search results, adding "NOT list:grocery" to the search parameter should filter them out.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I see what you're saying, that the items wouldn't appear anywhere but where I want them. But it would add quite a few items to the Smart List tabs. If I wanted to just see produce when I'm in the produce section of the market, I'd need a Smart List filtered on the tag "produce", and another for "meat", and so forth. It would be a lot of additional tabs, unless I was willing to type in the new filter each time I moved to a new section of the market, which I wouldn't want to do. Is there an easier way?

It would also add quite a few Tags to my listlist, if I tagged them by type, i.e. "produce", "meat", etc. But this doesn't seem to be as big an issue as the additional Smart List tabs because the Tag list is just a list, and wouldn't "clutter" my screen like a bunch of additional tabs would. Thoughts?
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
The problem would be in tagging each department's items as a separate smart list. That'd work, but yes, it would add to the tabs at the top.

There have been some other posts about trying to sort grocery lists by aisle. Two of the best ones I've seen are here:
Grocery List by Aisle
Grocery List

Honestly, what's worked for me (currently on a BlackBerry, so I don't have a lot of device-ready options for tags, only lists) has been to create one task called Grocery and add to a note those things that I need. I can sort the items in the note and then recreate/uncomplete the task next time I need to go to the store.

It makes for more typing for me in the long run, but it's a pretty painless process all told.

Hope this helps!
Posted 14 years ago
jwhite.rtm says:
I don't think you should limit your shopping view to a single "to-do" list or a single task. I ... er ... here's my method:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/8762/
Posted 14 years ago