Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

RTM Enhanced

jgallen23 says:
I love RTM, but it is not optimized for larger screens, so I made some modifications
view them here:
RTM

I'm using these scripts:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25050

currently the script does:
-Removes Cow
-Widens RTM to 1280px
-Moves Search To left column
-Moves tag cloud to left column
-moves status message to top left
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25046

and here is the RTMEnhanced Script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/26057

comments,suggestions?
Posted at 1:11am on May 7, 2008
jgallen23 says:
format got a little messed up, here are the scripts I'm using (in addition to rtmenhanced)

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25050
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25046
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Great script! Good use of screen real estate.

I decreased the width of the page to 1260, I got a horisontal slider otherwise. That moved the details box to the left, overlapping the task box. Using Stylish I decreased the width of the task box so the overlap disappeared.

Also, I can't get this to work under https?

My favorite Stylish line:
#list [height: 4px !important;]
Moves the links at the bottom "About Blog" etc at the top.
Posted 15 years ago
jgallen23 says:
@rajjan

thanks for the tips, I incorporated all of your suggestions into rtmenhanced, you can get the new version at the link above
Posted 15 years ago
bzpilman says:
Oh my, you are brilliant! I thought about splitting the cloud from the task properties window as a solution for the scrolling sidebar, and there you go!

Using it right now :)

I see the script makes many many changes, peharps it would help to make the changes more easily switchable, like the tag cloud colorizer script. For example, I would love to get the tags back to after the task name, as opposed to on a line below the name.

All in all amazing work, I love how all these scripts come together to create the best interface to our needs.
Thanks alot, jgallen23 ;D
Posted 15 years ago
jgallen23 says:
would it be easier to have all the features in separate scripts for each feature or have options in the js file?
Posted 15 years ago
bzpilman says:
I'm not fond of having too many scripts (I already have like 6), so I'd go with the consolidation in one js file, with options.
Posted 15 years ago
I also agree that it's easier to have fewer scripts with options like in tag cloud colorizer.

I tried this script at home where I have a really wide screen and ended up having large white areas at the sides of the screen. Would it be possible to have configurable widths of the three parts of the screen (tag cloud, tasks, details)? That would be great!

Also (is it Christmas already?) it would be nice if the tag cloud scrolled down when the task list is really long like the details box does. Preferably like in the GM script "Disable sidebar scroll" which makes it move faster.

Bzpilman: delete or comment out line 17 (addGlobalStyle('.xtd_tag { display:block; padding-left: 15px;}'); ) and you get the tags at the end instead.
Posted 15 years ago
bzpilman says:
Thanks rajjan! I tried doing away with the whole /* MOVE TASK TAGS */ section before asking it here, but it rendered the script useless. I gave up too early, not realizing the script was not being executed because there was a reference (the one and only, actually) to the function at the bottom of the script, in the last section.

So, after your pointer (that it should work indeed), I ended up just commenting the reference at the end, leaving the section proper unchanged for easier converting back, just in case.

The tags below the tasks really confuse me, as my font for the task list is smallish, so it becomes a little letter puzzle.

Now, I see how not having the tag cloud scroll is a bummer for most people. But me, I'm in heaven. The task properties dashlet scrolls as it needs be, and my too big tag cloud stays in place so it's usable (it's not when it keeps bouncing around). Great script, man!
Posted 15 years ago
jgallen23: One part of your excellent script let's the user define what regular lists to show as tabs. Is it possible to do the same for smart lists? I have several that are used only in other smart lists and would like to hide.
Posted 15 years ago
caputo737 says:
Fantastic work, thank you! Makes RTM much more usable for my task management style.

I did muck about with some of the "non-muckable" code to make it a little easier for me to read. I get distracted very easily and so needed a bit more padding around stuff and I liked my headings to be differentiated a bit more from the tasks beneath them. http://www.juneauhotspot.com/pub/project-example.png

Is there any way to:

1. Make the Headers larger?
2. Put more space between each of the Tags?
3. Alternative to #2, put each tag on a separate line?

Thanks again!

Jason
Posted 15 years ago
caputo737 says:
Sorry for my previous post - I was commenting on the color tag cloud script on this thread by mistake.

I am also using RTM enhanced with it and both are wonderful together. Thank you for your skillz!

Jason
Posted 15 years ago
jgallen23 says:
I just posted a new version

-cleaned up code
-ability to enable/disable features in config section
-ability to change width in config
-Current Tags:
-show all tags of current view (under task info)
-be able to append to current view from a tag
-be able to remove a tag from current view
-lower list font size
-moved tags to 2nd column in tag list

RTMEnhanced-0.2
Posted 15 years ago
jgallen23 says:
script is still here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/26057
Posted 15 years ago
Nice addition with the tag+ and tag-, which lets the user create search list criteria by clicking on + or -. I was a little afraid to use this feature at first, would I delete tags from the tasks shown, but it fills the search box one step at a time. Great work!

No news on the hide smart lists front?
Posted 15 years ago
jgallen23 says:
rajjan - hiding smart lists will be in the next release for sure
Posted 15 years ago
milkingjose says:
hi jgallen23,
i like the script but for the tag cloud on the left hand side how do you group the tags? i see you major headings and lines every four of five tabs. how you do that? thanks...
Posted 15 years ago
That part is from the Grease Monkey script Tag Cloud Colorizer, look in this thread at the end: http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/2943/
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
For some strange reason, when I use this script, the footer (containing the "About", "Blog", etc. links) are super imposed the main area. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix?

Thanks
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I've got the same problem as well. My solution is to hide them by adding codes to hide the footer into the script.

addGlobalStyle(.....+
'.appfootercontent { margin-left: 20px;display:none !important;}'+
'.appfooter {display:none !important;})

hope that it's helpful :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
jgallen23,
Downloaded your script into FF, love it love it love it!!! What would be nice now is if you could spinoff your own subtasks/project workaround as well (see http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/4605/ for ideas). Hope you consider adding this in sometime soon or something similiar, but more cleaner than that script does!!!!
Posted 15 years ago
abolhood says:
How do we install these scripts?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
abolhood , Install Greasemonkey first and then install the script, you understand what to do, but install Greasemonkey first!
Posted 15 years ago
dave.booker.cochrane says:
I've got the opposite problem as all of you - I use an extremely small screen (actually huge, but at 800x600 resolution and with very large font size) due to a visual disability - like you'll all also have when you get to be 80 or 90 years old. anyway, I love RTM, but the main problem for me is that that when I search for and find a task, I have to chase that floating panel over there on the right up and down the screen until it stops bobbling , and then I click on the note tab and have a really tiny little edit box to add my notes in. Tiny, and when there is big font in it, it's nearly useless. I've tried to fix it with 'stylish' (firefox extension) custom css that I wrote, but had little success. HAve any of you seen a script/hack to make that panel or note input box sit still and be wide, making use of the main part of the window?

Dave
Posted 15 years ago
brennan.browne says:
Thanks for the script -- I'm using two edited versions, one at work and one at home. Also using tag cloud colorizer. I especially like the ability to hide superfluous lists.

Cheers,

Brennan
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hey! First thing, thanks a lot for this awesome script!

However, I have some problems with it.
I have a free acount, and it garbled everything up. I used clarelyleung's solution, (which is missing a thingie like this ' at the end, everyone).

It fixed it (thanks a lot clarelyleung!), but my cloud task still doesnt appear in my tasks window, leaving an odd-looking blank beneath it...
I tried to look through the code, but its really hard to read for me, as it makes me scroll to the right really far... I dont really get it, maybe its formatted for an aplication other that notepad...
Is there anything I could do?
Thanks in advance!
Victor

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Oh! You can see it formatted and coloured at the webpage!
(sheepish grin) Now I can make sense of it!
And all of it works beautifully (great integration of ideas, I particularly admire the +tag-tag thingie) except the tag cloud doesnt appear at the tasks window.
Still, this is already well worth my time!
Victor
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
vjcamarena:,

I used the Greasemonkey script "Remember The Milk - Keep Cloud Visible" to keep my tag cloud in the task window.

Hopefully this tip is useful for you. :)

Clare
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Oh... Then that is the problem...
I do have it installed but it won't work for me. Thanks clarelyleung!
I'll try to contact the author, and I'll post the response here if it could help somebody else (aka if it's not only because I'm a complete moron).
Thanks again!
Victor
Posted 15 years ago
marc.garcia.marti says:
Hi there,

I've noticed that all my "static" list disappear when this script is active. Was that meant to work that way? I'm confused... how am I supposed to be able to reach for the inbox??

Very good jop indeed! :)
Posted 14 years ago
marc.garcia.marti says:
Hello again,

Windows was opening the script with notepad and the content was getting messed up due to line breaks... I was not understanding a thing. I changed it to wordpad and things look quite diferent and I can make something out :)

jgallen23, could you please let me know how to tweak this script a little so all the tags remain rather than make them disappear?

thanks
Posted 14 years ago
johnfoland says:
Hey Marc -

You can configure that by editing the script. Your lists should be accessible from the tag cloud.

-----------------------

I love this script! Too bad it won't work in Chrome with RTM as an "application".
Posted 14 years ago
marc.garcia.marti says:
Hey jkalvin,

I don't know how to tweak it, my scripting knowdlege is rather poor. I truly wish I knew more on that field now that I've recently discovered Greasemonkey and all the cool thongs that can be done by using it.

In my case, all my tasks that have one tag starting with a dot won't be shown on the tasks and due to that the simplicity don't show up on the tag cloud. I've noticed that tasks that have more than one tag (say n tags) starting with . will get one tag removed therefore showing n-1 tags.

I'm using this script in combination with the Tag Cloud Colorizer. Donno if that may represent a problem with this tag.

Fumbling around with GM scripts in order to implement this shouldn't be happening and this features should be available out of the box.

Help would be so much appreciated.... Thanks
Posted 14 years ago
robert.gutmann says:
anyone ever get this to work in chrome?
Posted 13 years ago