Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Sync RTM and Outlook

skipshean says:
Does anyone have any insights for how to sync my RTM list with my Outlook task list? I've been using GTD in Outlook for so long that I can't imagine trying to rebuild the tasklist in RTM.
Posted at 9:20pm on November 23, 2007
helen.edwards says:
I do not have an answer, but would be really interested in getting an answer too as Outlook is my primarily application.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Wait a year. I'm sure that Outlook sync will be in the next version of RTM Pro- or the one after that.....
Until then, the best workaround is :
1. Create a new Outlook folder and title it " RTM".
2.. Right click on the folder and select" Properties".
3. Click on the Home Page tab.
4. Enter the Remember the Milk URL in the Address field.

Outlook will fetch your RTM page.
You can then manage both your Outlook and RTM lists in Outlook , and copy/paste back & forth.

It ain't quite syncing, but its close.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
One more thing. After you set the Home Page Option, go to View and select the Show Home Page command.
Posted 16 years ago
jeffn says:
carib,
what version of outlook are you using? i am not seeing all the commands/options you're seeing (i'm in outlook 2007).

also, i was thinking of writing an outlook macro that looks for RTM email reminders in my outlook inbox. The macro would then create a task for me automatically (i haven't researched how feasible this is, it's just my working plan). anyone tried this, or otherwise have any thoughts?
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I did a quick google search and it does seem that this might not be a option on outlook 2007. See

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook.general/browse_thread/thread/1000354a64288e8f/31c20ed1c3f23894%2331c20ed1c3f23894

There is some sort of registry fix for that, but I'm not an outlook maven. Any experts, chime in..

MORE

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/4cbc696f-72e6-4f57-970f-91dc568797111033.mspx?mfr=true.
Posted 16 years ago
judy.williams says:
I use Outlook 2007 and creating the RTM folder worked exactly as you suggested, only step missing is: On the Home Page tab, be sure you select the "Show Hompe Page by default for this folder" option.

Maybe in OL 2007, this is the step you're referring to when you says: "One more thing. After you set the Home Page Option, go to View and select the Show Home Page command"?

And thanks for the tip...I'm having to work around the fact that OL tasks don't sync with my new iPhone, so this is at least pulling together your great product (RTM Pro for the iPhone) with Outlook until Apple steps up!
Posted 16 years ago
humbleopinion says:
You can share the calendar in Outlook:
If you are using Microsoft Outlook 2003, the Remote Calendars third-party plugin allows you to subscribe to iCalendar services in Outlook. It is supported by RTM and available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotecalendars/

If you use Outlook 2007, you can subscribe directly by clicking on the iCalendar link on the right side of your list page.

You can subscribe to the list by copying the 'Atom' link and pasting it in Outlook 2007. First, make your list public in RTM. In Outlook, go to Tools/Account Settings/RSS feeds. Add a new feed and paste the Atom link you just copied in the display box.

RTM has some information in their FAQ and help also.
Posted 16 years ago
radjin says:
Here's how I do it:
- Make use of Milksync on my windows mobile phone.
It syncs the tasks with my tasks on the phone
- On the phone I've activesync which syncs with exchange (outlook as a client).

This way I do emailing/calendring in Outlook/echange and tasks in RTM.

Works great for me!
Posted 16 years ago
thomast says:
I'm on OL 2003, and tried setting up the folder with RTM as homepage, but am having a few problems:

1. When I go to the folder, I get an IE script error in RTM:

2. Then I get an error: "The Google Maps API key used on this web site was registered for a different web site. You can generate a new key for this web site at http://code.google.com/apis/maps/"

3. It doesn't kep me logged in or remember my login info.

4. Is there any way to add this (or anything other than the default buttons) to the Outlook 2003 shortcut bar?

Any ideas on making this more workable?

Many thanks for any help.

Posted 16 years ago
shennyg says:
I get the same google api error.
Posted 16 years ago
eibrahim says:
I am working on an outlook-rtm sync. If you are interested in being a beta tester, please send me an email at eibrahim at gmail dot com

Include the version of your OS and outlook in your email and your technical level of expertise

And if you know, what version of the .net framework you have that will also be helpful.

Thanks.
Posted 16 years ago
b3ck says:
Are there any news about the topic? It would be very userful and important for many people. :)
Posted 16 years ago
erifneerg says:
It doesn't seem like outlook syncing is on top of the list of many 3rd party developers/etc. It might be b/c most people just use window mobile 5+ devices and become pro then sync via Milksync. I loved the app back when i had my device before my company had to reclaimed it.
Posted 16 years ago
stephen.minton says:
Seems like there's a lot of interest in this, to judge by various forums and so on. I think it's because a lot of people use non-Windows mobile devices, especially a Blackberry at work, and want to sync everything back to their Outlook PC at home. You'll find similar levels of interest in getting Blackberry devices to sync contacts and calendars with home PCs/Outlook. Google has recently delivered a system for doing just that with Calendar - wireless OTA sync to G-Cal from the device, and desktop auto-sync from G-Cal to Outlook. I suspect this is what a lot of people want - the combination of wireless sync with their Blackberry and then having those tasks automatically sync with their home PC (i.e. Outlook - and as anyone on a Blackberry Enterprise Server knows, it's not possible to sync your device directly with your home PC unless you want to destroy all your mobile settings). The bottom line is that most people hate to maintain more than one calendar or to-do list - it's confusing and inefficient. And lots of people have Outlook on their home PCs.
Posted 15 years ago
christophe.albrech says:
I use the free app at www.emailtemplates.com. It allows you to forward an email using a template. Of you can dynamically fetch data in the email you're forwarding. So I end up being able to forward a task-formated email in one click.

As a developer, i am very tempted to get myself the pro version which allows you to use scripting. That means I could effectively grab specific parts of the email I forward.

Posted 15 years ago
kmich says:
First off, I am no expert by any means but some basic review of an Outlook Tasks export suggests to me if I could get my RTM data in a CSV I could import it into Outlook with just a little bit of Field mapping. I suspect a savvy programmer could find a way to convert the available UTF-8 encoding to a Outlook field mapped CSV. Is my thinking too simple?
Posted 15 years ago
blackbelt says:
Having the cloud is fine but let's face it, RTM is only a task manager, not an integrated Contact Manager like Outlook. I would love the sync because it is a back up, I can use it on the go, but ultimately I manage everything in Outlook because it fully INTEGRATES contacts, calendar and tasks - it is much more powerful. BTW, I use Outlook for GTD.
Posted 15 years ago
brennan.browne says:
My solution does not involve syncing RTM with Outlook -- instead I use a custom "Outlook Today" page in Outlook 2003. In case you're not familiar with this feature, Outlook 2003 allows you to view this page if you click on the name of your main mailbox on the mail screen. This shows you upcoming calendar dates, mailbox status, and tasks. I edited the HTML code to replace the standard Outlook Tasks with the iGoogle RTM gadget. Works great for me and it puts everything in one place. See http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5149522.html and http://blogs.tech-recipes.com/shamanstears/2008/04/18/outlook-creating-your-own-outlook-today-page-part-2/ for more info.

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
i am using Milksync on my Blackberry to sync RTM tasks to Outlook. When I am on the road, I add new task to RTM by sending e-mail to the RTM inbox e-mail address on my Blackberry. The task is automatically added to RTM. My Blackberry synchronizes with RTM every 5 mins via Milksync, so my Blackberry gets the latest list of tasks. Interestingly, my Blackberry also synchronizes with Exchange server wirelessly. When I get back to the office and open up Outlook on my laptop, all the RTM tasks show up on the task list. It's pretty neat and avoids duplicate entry. I also created macros in Outlook to add new tasks to RTM, process my Inbox and file e-mails based on GTD rules. If you guys are interested how I did that, I can start a blog to share my experience.
Posted 15 years ago
bryanshort12 says:
@lifung That sounds like precisely what I am looking for. So Milksync works seamlessly on your blackberry? That would be a killerapp for me and make me upgrade to pro immediately.
Posted 15 years ago
dgcombs says:
@bryanshort12,
that's *exactly* what prompted me to open my meager wallet and shell out the bucks. Sync'ing with my WinMo phone did the trick for me.
Posted 15 years ago
bryanshort12 says:
Yeah, gotta say MilkSync is for a BB user next to gold. It's like the universe has conspired to make all my dreams come true.

Thank you RTM! As soon as my 15 days are up, you can expect prompt payment of my upgrade!

LOVE it.
Posted 15 years ago
mark.wiley says:
I synch my calendars with Google, then synch with google to outlook using a third party app, then my iphone synchs with outlook.
Posted 15 years ago
blackbelt says:
But calendars are not tasks. Google doesn't have tasks. The Outlook sync would be to get these tasks into Outlook and vice versa. Google also has their own Outlook sync now (for calendar) which I use and love! RTM could take over the world by becoming the task manager for Google via their other plugins and syncing to Outlook.

The number of Outlook users far outweighs, probably 1000 times, all the phone users combined, including the iphone.
Posted 15 years ago
sboerup says:
Yes, I quickly upgraded to the Pro when I found out that RTM synced with WinMo. I naively assumed that it would sync with Outlook without the use of the phone.

it worked with my WinMo phone, but shortly after I upgraded to iPhone. Boy do I wish and pray everyday that RTM will sync with Outlook. I love the Gmail feature and iGoogle gadget. Just wish I could use Outlook with my BCM database and sync all my tasks with RTM.

Cmon RTM, you can't disagree that there are FAR more users with Outlook than any other app or program.
Posted 15 years ago
big.bob says:
Plllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssssseee!
Please, PLEASE:

I am sure that a brief poll would identify a HUGE number of RTM users (or, perhaps more importantly, POTENTIAL users) who would love (NEED????) a Milksync for MS Outlook.
Bob
Posted 15 years ago
omairsarwar says:
+1 for sync.

I've been using Outlook as my GTD manager for 2 years now. Used to work perfect by syncing with my BB but now that I shifted over to an Iphone I am at a loss.

Don't think I will be paying for a Pro account until this key feature is in place.

I like the RTM service but I think the sync feature puts ToodleDo above RTM for any work Windows/Outlook user.

Not saying that this is a simple task to implement but as someone who invests in businesses would hypothesize that this would have a huge payoff for RTM.

Rem that majority of the ppl who might be interested in a task management tool are in the workforce, majority of the ppl that are in the workforce use Outlook and that same majority probably own a smartphone.

Offering them the ability to integrate their handheld, web & work comp would be a great way to attract what I believe should be RTMs focus market.

Thoughts & comments welcome.
Posted 15 years ago
difausto.daniele says:
I agree with omairsarwar. In fact I use ToodleDo even if i prefer RTM's intergace.
Posted 15 years ago
difausto.daniele says:
I agree with omairsarwar. In fact I use ToodleDo even if i prefer RTM's intergace.
Posted 15 years ago
obijan says:
My vote here. I am more than willing to change to RTM, even pay a fee for it. But Outlook sync is a "P0 requirement" for me, and I suspect not being alone in this.

Other idea: Try syncing with Plaxo. They already have a simplistic online tasks system AND sync with Outlook. Doing it this way would avoid the need for RTM to develop their own Windows client. And I am willing to bet that Plaxo would be more than happy to have you be an influencer for more installs.
Posted 15 years ago
redmaterialgirl says:
I also would like to be able to sync with Outlook. using the atom feed just gets you a calendar so only dated tasks appear. I won't get serious about using RTM without this feature.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I have been using milksync to sync with outlook. I do not have a windows mobile device. However, you can download the microsoft windows mobile emulator and use that with active sync to get remember the milk / outlook to talk. Not a perfect scenario, but I pretty much just have the emulator autosync and keep it minimized / running at all times. If anyone is as desperate as I was to get your tasks into outlook this could work.
Posted 15 years ago
avenkat says:
Hi! This has relevance to what Carib and Judy Williams wrote on 30 Nov 2007 and 1 Dec 2007 respectively (see the top of this thread).

The only difference is that the reference below is to the General tab instead of the Home Page tab of our newly created RTM folder in Outlook. I'm pasting below what I read in one of the Outlook blogs:
(http://blogs.msdn.com/melissamacbeth/archive/2006/03/02/542502.aspx)

I'm afraid you'll have to look at the picture in that blog (I'm unable to reproduce it here) to understand what I'm trying to ask. The blog says:

"Outlook 12: Get your tasks, flagged mail, and flagged contacts from other stores to show up in the To-Do Bar: Right click on the store name in the Navigation Pane and select “Properties for …” In the dialog that appears next, check the box next to “Display reminders and tasks from this folder in the To-Do Bar.” Then click Apply and OK. Shutdown Outlook (restart) and open it again and you will see your tasks from other stores start to populate the To-Do Bar!"

Now my question is this:
I do not even see the “Display reminders and tasks from this folder in the To-Do Bar” option in the General tab of my RTM folder (or any folder for that matter; I'm using Office 2007). Does anybody know anything about this or can explain this? Or, was this an option that existed in Outlook 2007during the testing stage (before it was officially released)?

Posted 15 years ago
ans7i says:
I want to share the calendar events from Outlook 2003 to RTM. i am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and the Remote Calendars third-party plugin that should allows me to subscribe to iCalendar services in Outlook. i tried but i can not able to see any events from my calendar in RTM however i can able to see item from outlook To Do list in RTM. can any one help by describing how i can sync outlook 2003 calendar events to RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
shahineo says:
I'm curious how would people expect this to work since Outlook doesn't have a concept of "Lists".

Would you expect that:
1) each list mapped to a category
2) that tags did not sync as a result

and would you expect that all lists Sync or that you could configure which ones sync.

I've written a few add-ins in the past, so building something that syncs would not be rocket science.
Posted 15 years ago
chiieddy says:
I, personally, would like to have it sync to its own list (work) and then have the tags map to categories.
Posted 15 years ago
sashazanjani says:
The way i show my tasks in the tasks folder in outlook 2007 is to take my tasks as a rss feed into outlook. I then use rules to move the rss to the task folder. This then instantly changes shows up any tasks i add to rtm to my to dos in outlook. its not a 2 way thing buts its a quick fix.
Posted 15 years ago
littenberg says:
Yikes - these clever workarounds are a bit over my ordinary user's head. I fully developed product is needed, please!
Posted 15 years ago
duskdrums says:
to Shahineo:

In the perfect world, I would prefer lists sync to different folders and tags sync to categories.

RTM seems to have actually rejected this approach, however, with their blackberry sync app. Lists sync to categories and tags do not sync. I think it would be best, therefore, to be consistent.
Posted 15 years ago
rtm2outlook says:
I wrote a tiny app a few months back to do a one-way sync which transfers all the RTM tasks into Outlook and keeps them up to date. It's not a true sync tho, since you can't make changes in Outlook.

The original post is here:
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/5237/

If anyone is interested, I'll put the sourcecode online too (again).
Posted 15 years ago
wtrekell says:
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/1540/
Posted 15 years ago
clinty76 says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
mattrix007 says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
arifvakil says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
tolovana says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
wisloff says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
wistex says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
amy.lang says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
nick.rob says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
deepsohil says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
tvchris says:
+1, but subtasks first.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1, and subtasks
Posted 14 years ago
sszretter says:
+1 this is really key, I am using mindjet outlook google calendar
and outlook RTM would be perfect!
Posted 14 years ago
davidpodhola says:
Hello,

I really like the idea of synchronizing tasks between RTM and Outlook. I have already developed a framework for Outlook Synchronization and I am thinking about adding Remember The Milk.

There are lots of Windows operating systems and Outlook versions so to understand better if I should do that and where to test it, I have created a form at

http://davidpodhola.blogspot.com/2010/02/remember-milk-outlook-synchronization.html

If you think it is worth that, please let me know by filling the form

Thanks,

David
Posted 14 years ago
ulrikk says:
Yes it is worth, I am pending on RTM until there is some remedy
Posted 14 years ago
davidpodhola says:
Just to update you - during past about 6 weeks I have been able to get to working beta of Outlook synchronization. If you do not mind beta software and have Outlook 2007, you may download it from http://www.sprinxcrm.com/SprinxCRM%20OutlookSync%20for%20Remember%20The%20Milk/publish.htm . I use it every day as well as the other beta users.

I expect to have the full version in few weeks.
Posted 14 years ago
msf995 says:
Will definitely try it out when the full version is released!
Posted 13 years ago
jonathancamp says:
I guess there's always the obvious - use Google calendar and the RTM addin. You can sync outlook to google calendar, and then just use google calendar - far better product anyway.
Posted 13 years ago
jamesr404 says:
I'm currently using Outlook tasks but going to trial RTM tasks. If you've got a working sync, that'd be great!

Oh, can it handle outlook timers on tasks, and what about categories? Can they become tags?! ^^

I'll try out your beta sync (and backup everything first :P )

Posted 13 years ago
rhounslow says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
davidpodhola says:
Another quick update: the latest development version is able to synchronize task notes as well. Have a look at http://www.gassumo.com/Home/sprinxcrm-outlooksync-for-remember-the-milk .
Posted 13 years ago
ehall8686 says:
I have this completely setup using my Windows Mobile Phone / Exchange. If you're not using exchange you'll need to use the hardwired sync or something else to get tasks to your phone. The key to getting this setup is clearing the tasks from your phone first, then installing MilkSync and synchronizing (hence a fresh start. Then anything synchronized into the phone will go back and forth.

OUTLOOK <==> PHONE <==> RTM

I also send all my tasks from Outlook 2010 (using Quick Steps) to my RTM email address. This ensures notes are kept from the email thread.
Posted 13 years ago
ujwaldignified says:
@davidpodhola
The setup.exe gets executed but i dont find any application on the desktop nor anywhere in the computer.
Can you please help me using this.
thank you.
http://www.gassumo.com/Home/sprinxcrm-outlooksync-for-remember-the-milk
Posted 13 years ago
dsteinschneider says:
@davidpohola
I'm experiencing the same problem as wjwalddignified. The Visual Studio Tools for the Office System 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1 runs over and over but the OSFRTM never installs. I tried downloading VSTO 2010 32bit for my Win7 Pro 32 bit OS but either its a silent install and I just don't see it installing or it's just not installing.
Posted 13 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi everyone,

If you:

a) Have a Pro account.
b) Like the words "Outlook" and "sync".
c) Enjoy testing stuff.

Please make sure you're a member of our Pro Tester Program.

;)
Posted 13 years ago
jdekeulenaer says:

@emily: Check, Check, Check.
Tell me how I can get it rolling.

Cheers,
Johan
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
@emily
I'm very interested in Outlook sync. I tried out the SprinxCRM sync on my office laptop but it doesn't quite work. I applied for the pro tester program and hoping to be of assistance
Posted 13 years ago
declankenny says:
"Have a pro account" - Check
"Like the words "Outlook" and "sync"." - Check
"Enjoy testing stuff." - Check

"Signed up for Pro Tester Program." - Check

OK, now what happens?
Posted 13 years ago
davidpodhola says:
Hello all,

If you have issues with Outlook Sync installation please drop me email at david [dot] podhola [at] gassumo [dot] com (change [at] for the real @ and [dot] for the real dot please) and I will have a look at that.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
chandan.maruthi says:
Hello all,
I just installed the outlook syc app. It works fine and syncs my outlook tasks . However it is not syncing my outlook appointments/meetings . How do i sync those to RTM?.

Posted 12 years ago