Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

A "Projects" List

drfrankbuck says:
Great to see the Tuesday TIps return. I'll jump in...
For those who have been influenced by GTD and want to have a "Projects" list that maintains itself, here you go:
1. For me, I start a new "project" by simply creating a new task.
2. I list the individual steps towards completing the project as subtasks under the parent.
3. As a one-time setup, search for tasks that have subtasks. Those are your projects. Save that search as a Smart List. Name it something like "Projects-All."
4. Any time you want to see a list of all your projects, click on the Smart List in the sidebar.
5. When you complete a project, you simply check off the parent. It will no longer show up when you click the "Projects-All" Smart List. No manual updating to be done!
6. Let's take it one step further. I usually want to see all the projects I am working on NOW. The thing they will have in common is that they have a due date within the next week. I created another Smart List for "Projects-This Week." It has these attributes: hasSubtasks:true AND dueBefore:"8 day from now"
7. I also have a Smart List that shows projects for later this month and another for projects more than a month in the future, but those are other tips for other days! 🙂
Posted at 4:53pm on December 23, 2023
milene.cha says:
Great workflow!
I also employ the GTD-Project principles to my RTM.
But, instead of creating Smart Lists, I simply use the tags "Project" + "active" or "someday" for the main task, which is very helpful in my weekly review.
Of course your automated solution is much more elegant and resourceful.
I vote for your post to be published on the Tuesday Tip blog!
Posted 17 weeks ago
mirthless29 says:
+1
Posted 17 weeks ago