Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Changes to IFTTT - how can I add my tasks by voice?

korey99 says:
Hey all-

I use an IFTTT recipe to connect Google Assistant to RTM. I say "Ok, Google, RTM schedule oil change", and a new tasks is added. But now I see that the new Google Assistant doesn't allow you to have variables, basically. That's going away soon.

I've made a LOT of use of this option for adding tasks. Even when I'm lying in bed or driving, I can just holler to my Google Home and remember a task without even grabbing my phone.

I know I can eliminate IFTTT and instead say something like "OK, Google- talk to Remember the Milk" or "OK, Google, ask Remember the Milk to add a task". Do any of you have a better solution?
Posted at 8:45pm on August 8, 2022
lemayp says:
The Integration between Google assistant and RTM through IFTTT is the best approach I have used so far too, and is the only one working with Smart watch such as the Fitbit Sense. It is very unfortunate that google will let their users down once again by dropping this support.

I would be interested to know if the RTM integration using the command "talk to Remember the milk" will be impacted or not by the upcoming change.
Posted 1 year ago
korey99 says:
Google's change is definitely a bummer. But I think RTM could help us out a bit too. Shouldn't ever have needed IFTTT to make this work well.
Posted 1 year ago
korey99 says:
Ok, here's the best I can come up with right now. Open Google Home on your phone. Go to Routines. Create a custom routine. When I say "Milk", run command "Ask Remember the Milk to add a task."

The result:
I say "Hey, Google, Milk"
"What's the task"
I say "pick up cereal at the store"

If the routine had a variable, I'd do better. "OK, Google, Milk pick up cereal", but I don't think that exists
Posted 1 year ago
lemayp says:
@korey99 I like this idea. Unfortunately routines are not supported by my watch, but it could be a good alternative in the house with my Google home.
Posted 1 year ago
do_all_the_things says:
The way I worked around it was to set my task list for Google Assistant to Any.Do and then I have a python script that moves tasks from Any.Do and Puts them in RTM via the API every few minutes. So now I say "Hey G, add 'whatever I want to do' to my list" and it gets to RTM. It is not ideal, but it's better than other alternatives I've tried.
Posted 1 year ago
traviz says:
I'm also looking for solutions to this problem. It seems that Google is getting rid of it's third-party voice actions so I think this means we will not be able to add tasks by voice on Google devices at all. Even the IFTTT integration is impacted I think (please correct me if someone sees differently). I will look into the solution above with Any.Do. I want to keep some solution on my Google Home device, otherwise I might have to switch to Alexa where this still works.
Posted 11 months ago