Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Updated Grocery Shopping

kerrpe says:
I haven't seen any recipe / grocery suggestions in a long time, so I'll share my set up. This has been the evolution of ten years of RTM. ;)

I have three lists, one for each major type of recipe - Mains, Sides, Other (you could make these subtasks, but I find it easier to just have a list.)
The recipes are tasks under these lists.
The actual recipe instructions are either in the notes or just a URL (sometimes that's much faster, although I have had some web pages disappear over time so I recommend putting in the note.)

Here's the good part:
Ingredients are sub-tasks to the recipe task, and are tagged "g" for grocery. Mostly they're all checked, but when I want to make a recipe I just uncheck the items I need to buy and they appear in my "g" tag list. I assign priority based on how my store is arranged (1=veg area, 2=meat, 3=dairy, none=shelf or freezer) and arrange my "g" list by priority.

Random items (like paper towels) are also tagged "g" and prioritized, but just go on a Shopping list.
Now when I enter the store, I have a list for exactly what I need, in the order I need.
Posted at 1:48pm on December 6, 2019
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi kerrpe,

I especially love the use of tags with this! You're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 4 years ago
davehenning says:
Clever. I like it.

When you have two recipes with the same ingredient, I suppose you just uncheck one of them, correct?
Posted 4 years ago