Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Flash cards with RTM

(closed account) says:
Ive recently started studying for Cisco's CCIE qualification and was wondering how best to ensure I'm remembering as much as possible. Flash cards are always a memory good tool, and I had a look at some dedicated flash card apps, as well as Evernote. But I'd prefer to keep things centralised with RTM, which I use for all other tasks and reference notes. The RTM iPhone app is actually pretty well suited to flash cards, using the notes function and swiping to reveal an answer.

I setup a smart list called flash cards using "tagContains:fc-".
Then added a task per study topic, each with a tag representing the study area, e.g. a task called BGP fundamentals with a tag fc-routing.
Then, in each task I'll be creating multiple notes, one note = one flash card.
A single note has a title, a question and an answer. I've put >10 lines between the question and answer, so that in the iPhone app, the answer is not visible until I swipe to reveal it. Multiple blank lines don't seem to work in RTM notes, so I've used a ↓ per line.

That's pretty much it. Creating the cards by hand is a good process in itself in terms of memorising things.

A good way to create multiple flash cards at once is using rtm's email import function. Then you can add a load of notes into the email body.

Anyways, for anyone else that might find this useful, here's a little video demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sz4bpKR7kk

JWD8NrGwb4rpegmgf0iyQ7KQZDnKmbw0IZ0PQEGZ
Posted at 4:05pm on November 13, 2011
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Clever idea, as such deserving a Tip-of-the-week. Bulk importing via e-mail is essential if you have all the information already.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks! Another thing I'll do is to mark topics with a priority, based on how much time I need to spend on them, i.e. I'll start with everything at priority 1, and mark them down as I improve on each one, then sit the exam once everything is at priority 0 :)
Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi odelaney,

Very creative! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've added a free year of Pro to your account. :)
Posted 11 years ago