Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Using lists to catch up on a backlog of tasks

bookworm says:
I've finally worked out a list system I'm happy with, so I thought I'd share.

I keep separate lists for tasks relating to different jobs/areas, so my normal lists are Household, Research, Study, Teaching, Volunteer, and I use Inbox for everything else.

Lately I've been quite behind on a lot of tasks, and the amount of catching up I needed to do was quite overwhelming. The first step in catching up was to go through each list and set realistic due dates (where possible). The second was setting up smart lists based on the due dates:
- Immediate: dueBefore:tomorrow - all the things that HAVE to be done today. (Tasks due today and overdue tasks.)
- Shortly: dueWithin:"2 days of today" - all the things that I have to be aware of today.
- This week: dueWithin:"7 days of today" - a picture of what I have to do in the next week.

Between my lists and my smart lists, I can now focus on tasks from one area (e.g. the Volunteer list), or make sure I'm not getting behind on any tasks from any area (the Immediate smart list).

I'm almost caught up on all my work now, thanks to being able to just focus on two days' tasks (Shortly smart list), which keeps the long list of tasks from being too overwhelming. And the This Week smart list allows me to easily look further ahead across all areas of tasks so I can plan which tasks to work on when.
Posted at 2:21am on October 17, 2011
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi bookworm,

Just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 12 years ago
dabiri133 says:
tank you
Posted 12 years ago
dawn.earl says:
I love your idea, but what am I doing wrong? I still have overdue tasks!! Lots of them because I use the tasks and lists to keep track of tons of stuff!! (Birthday cards, tire rotations, etc.)

How do I use your idea and avoid all the overdue tasks?

Thanks!
Dawn
Posted 12 years ago
rossruns says:
Dawn - if you don't want your "Immediate" list to have overdue tasks on it, change the Immediate list from "dueBefore:tomorrow" to "due:Today". Then you can put overdue tasks in a separate list called "Catchup" that has the search string "dueBefore:today" and it'll only show overdue tasks that you can catch up on when you have a chance.
Posted 12 years ago
dawn.earl says:
Follow-up question: Do you put dates on all your tasks?
I put due today (and repeat every day or every week) so that I don't accidentally delete a task. I created Smart Lists, too, but I find I still have to go through my lists each day and choose whether to mark each task for delete or complete.
It seems like I am spending too much time managing my lists. Your help is appreciated!
Posted 12 years ago
glerner says:
Dawn, One thing I loved about Getting Things Done was less time managing the lists. GTD suggested the Only things that got put on your calendar were things where there is an external reason for the date, like meetings and appointments, or you made a promise (to someone else, not your own goal). Then look at your tasks by priority, doing something important now. Managing your lists should consist of getting tasks out of your head, reviewing what there is to do, picking a task you can take action on now, and then marking it complete.

Remember, tasks are always actionable, "mail letter" might actually be several tasks "call Sue for address", "buy postage stamps", "research facts for letter", "write letter", and "arrange FedEx pickup letter" (oops, no longer need postage stamps). I find that a project with "hidden" tasks, tasks that I haven't identified, is much more likely to get postponed.
Posted 12 years ago