Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Keeping up with reading as a student with ADHD.

elisabethericson says:
This isn't revolutionary by any means, but as a college student with ADHD I've struggled in the past with staying on top of my class reading. I mean, it's an involved process: look up each syllabus, determine if anything's due the next day, figure out which books I need, determine how long the reading will likely take, set aside the requisite time in my schedule, and ensure I actually have the right books with me at that time. Sounds elementary, but with an executive function disorder, remembering and following through with all those steps every day is exhausting!

Instead, I've recently found it helpful to take an hour at the beginning of the term to go through each syllabus and program each individual chapter or article into Remember the Milk as a separate task. I set the due date a day before each reading is assigned and the estimated time to half an hour (I'm a fast reader when I actually get around to doing it, so usually it takes less). The priority, obviously, is 1.

So on Sunday evenings I can look at the weekly view and easily estimate how much time I'll need to set aside for reading each day (Tuesday's two chapters and two articles times half an hour, so that's two hours...), and each morning before I leave my room I can check the daily view and pack whatever books it says I need. I don't have to check all different syllabi because it's all on my phone (I use RTM for Android), and I don't need to remember when anything's due because RTM tells me.

As I'm getting older learning to manage my disorder more successfully, I'm finding that by simplifying and automating as many tasks as possible, I can conserve mental bandwidth and ultimately be far more productive than I ever thought possible. RTM has already proven life-changing in that respect, and I'm so thankful that I found it.
Posted at 1:01pm on April 25, 2011
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Nice of you to share your experience with ADHD+RTM, it seems to have made a significant change in your life! Keep up the good work!
Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Elisabeth,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks, Elisabeth. I use a similar process to keep track of my business and other projects. It's great to hear about a student, whose mind is like mine, using the same methods.
Posted 12 years ago
janvanderploeg says:
Thanks Elisabeth. Helpful tip! I can plan more book-reading stuff like this, so I'll get more reading done.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Elisabeth,

ADHD may actually be a competitive advantage in today's world. Sir Richard Branson has certainly done well with it, and many of us others have done so, too.

I know that, as a student, you are incredibly busy. If you get a moment to yourself, then please don't be afraid to contact me.

All the best,

Peyton Stafford
Posted 12 years ago
pcjabber says:
Elisabeth,

Thanks for the helpful tip! As a fellow student with ADHD, it's always great to read about things others do to help them stay on track, productive, and organized.
Posted 12 years ago