Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

DIeting with RTM...

bonniefaust says:
Like many people, my husband and I made a New Years Resolution to lose a few pounds. He's opting for the Weight Watchers online program while I follow the Eat Clean program.

The best way to stay on track is to plan your meals out, so I started listing different foods that we like and tagging them respectively.

For example, I make a large egg white frittata with tons of veggies that we usually share. I created a list called "FOOD" and each task is a different food (not a whole meal, just individual dishes). So I'll list "Egg White Frittata" and tag it the following ways:
#breakfast
#main
#WW (for Weight Watchers)
#EC (for Eat Clean)
#2 (number of points for WW)
#Protein (It's an Eat Clean protein)
#CCV (It includes Eat Clean Complex Carb Vegetables)

In the notes I can specify quantities and any directions/recipe info.

Now, when I'm planning meals (well he plans his own breakfast and lunch for himself using this shared list) I just search for #breakfast & #EC and it brings up all the breakfasts I can have. He can use the same list and create his meals. I included the points because sometimes he is hungry at the end of the day and wants something but only has a certain number of points left. So he can simply search #2 or #1 or #3 and it will include foods that have only 1, 2 or 3 points each.

I've also incorporated someone else's tip that I've started tagging my grocery items with meals to make shopping lists easily. I'll tag "Eggs", "Peppers", "Onions" and "Spinach" with the tag "Fritatta" so when I plan our food for the week I can see which ingredients I need to make our meals.

The reason I don't put the entire meal is because sometimes I want to change up the side dishes; sometimes we want Sweet Potato Fries, other times Brown Rice, other times just some Sauteed Spinach. Each of those are tagged accordingly and instead of "#main" I also tag them "#side".
Posted at 9:56pm on January 5, 2011
edson.camara says:
Cool idea, I will try that.
Posted 13 years ago
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
This is a great idea. I've been doing WW for over a year and while I've lost about 50 pounds, I'm not loosing the last 20 as quickly. This may be the motivational kick/tool that helps. Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi bonniefaust,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 13 years ago
kiwi0810 says:
I'm not dieting but I also keep a list dedicated to recipes. I simply enter the name of the recipe as the task and cut and paste the recipe in as a note. When I go shopping at the produce markets I can pick a recipe that fits what is actually available, enter a due date and a repeat [so I don't lose the recipe for the future]. It's turned out to be an excellent way of increasing the variety of the things we eat.
Posted 13 years ago