Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Basic auto maintenance saves gas (and money)!

(closed account) says:
Everyone knows that one way to maximize gas mileage on your vehicle is to keep it properly maintained. Keep your tires properly inflated, check the oil, check the air filter. All these things add up to improved gas mileage and can extend the life of your car. Usually these things are checked during an oil change but some of these items should be checked and adjusted much more often than that.

I always forget to do these things regularly and I was tired of starting my car and getting a low tire pressure warning and realizing that I had been driving with severely deflated tires a couple weeks. It wastes gas, wears the tires more rapidly, and can be dangerous!

The solution was adding a list in RTM that includes both auto and home maintenance items. I added reminders for regularly recurring items such as checking the tires, oil, and air filters for each of my vehicles and replacing the furnace air filter regularly. I used the "after x months" repeat option to ensure that if I put off doing something for a week or two the next instance will be rescheduled appropriately.

Oil changes and tire rotations on vehicles will probably make the list next. I also use the list for non-recurring maintenance tasks such as painting and repairs.
Posted at 5:39pm on October 13, 2010
(closed account) says:
How funny, I just was thinking about how to properly set this up in RTM as I was getting my oil changed today.

Going to go and set up my reminders right now.
Posted 13 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi pzbiegiel,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 13 years ago
darinr says:
This is hilarious to me because it's exactly what I have been doing since I bought RTM. I keep one list for auto maint, one for groceries, one for work, one for high priority, low priority, and also our wave runners (maint). I love it. Syncs with my Droid and I have an organized todo list everywhere. I probably use RTM more than voice calls on my mobile. :-)
Posted 13 years ago