Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Keeping your house clean-one room at a time!

emily.hawe says:
I don't know about you, but I'm often overwhelmed by the idea of cleaning my whole house. I used to wait until Sunday to dust, vacuum, mop, organize, etc. but the amount of things to do would inevitably make me procrastinate and not do any of it. I decided to break down the task of cleaning my house into mini tasks. I started a list called house work and I listed each room under the list. In the notes section, I write down what I need to do in that room (ex. for bathroom I have notes about cleaning the shower tiles, cleaning the toilet, changing the towels). I then assign each room a day of the week and set the due date to repeat weekly. You could also divide it by cleaning tasks instead of room (vacuum on Tuesday, dust on Wednesday, organize on Thursday, etc.). Now I only have to clean one room a day and it is much less overwhelming. Even better, my house is clean on Sunday and I can enjoy the weekend!
Posted at 3:22am on April 26, 2010
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
But then again, you clean every day of the week ;-)
Posted 13 years ago
organisator says:
This is a great tip, thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
welmoed95 says:
please remind my topic on flylady ! you will get great ideas to organize your cleaning, the best way of living in a quiet and clean house without nervous breakdown...

Posted 13 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi emily.hawe,

I really need to start using this tip!

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 13 years ago
jhmorris says:
I like this tip. A tweak I would add would be to use the 'after' repeating functionality, so, rather than setting a particular day for each cleaning task, set a time interval between repeating the tasks.

E.g. Clean shower. Repeat 'after 1 week'.

If you use smartlists you can have the task disappear after you have set it to 'complete', returning to your list a week later when it needs to be done again.

Posted 13 years ago
jerry.joanis says:
I've been doing this for a few months (using TaskPaper, then moved it to RTM). I guess I should have posted it.
Posted 13 years ago