Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

How does your garden grow? With RTM, a PC and pretty tasks all in a row

dorcas says:
In the Northern hemisphere Spring is finally here, and stuff is growing. In order to control your growing stuff, RTM can help a lot.

Gardening can be great: looking at pretty things, eating tasty fresh things that you have conjured out of the soil, gentle exercise, something the kids can get involved in (after all, it includes mud), a nice place to relax...

But to maximise the benefits while minimising the stress, RTM can help. If you grow veg, a separate task for planting and harvesting each kind of veg helps. Recurring tasks to remind you to cut the grass and water things (I find I have to make these more often in the summer otherwise things get out of control). Then, in the winter, it's easy to forget to check your tools are clean and in good working order (sharp, well oiled etc.). Before you know it, it's time to look at seed catalogues again and dream about next year.
Posted at 8:19am on April 9, 2010
cnuland says:
This is my first year for a garden, so I sat down and figured out what I needed to do each week. Peas can be planted nine weeks before the "last frost" for a region, so I have a task for each with a garden tag, repeating yearly.
plant: peas (spring-9)

The next week onions can be planted. plant: onion sets (spring-8)
I also have tasks for starting the seeds. start seeds: bell peppers, eggplant, lettuce (spring-7)
and for moving them to the garden. transplant: hot peppers, summer squash, tomatoes, watermelon (spring+2)
or planting directly in the soil. plant: beets, carrots, radishes, seed potatoes, swiss chard (spring-3)

I figured out my list mainly from http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net. I don't have any harvesting, watering or fall cleanup tasks yet.

dorcas - do you have a list of tasks that you could post? I'm interested in what some of yours would be.
Posted 14 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi dorcas,

Just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 13 years ago
russkiypenguin says:
I used to do this sort of thing in Outlook, but my calendar has now become overwhelmed. So I've turned to RTM.

The thing I can't really figure out is, how do you set a recurring event just for a few months? I don't really need to be reminded to water the peas on Tuesday in January when I've got 2" of snow on the ground. Likewise, in June, July and August, when I must water twice a week how do I schedule that?

In outlook I did something I didn't really like doing, which is set up a ton of yearly recurring events. Which works, but is a huge pain in the butt to set up and not very easy to manage.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
russkiypenguin,
You can see some examples of repeating formatson our site.

Please contact us if any that you're trying don't work.

Hope this helps!
Posted 13 years ago