Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Publishing Smart Lists

(closed account) says:
If I was able to make my smart list public, I could then syndicate it and publish it on my google start page. Right now, the RSS function can't handle secure feeds like the authentication required by RTM.
Posted at 3:15am on March 16, 2006
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
All I can suggest right now is encouraging Google to support authenticated feeds :)

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to publish a Smart List. The reason for this is that Smart Lists are simply filters on your existing lists, and there's no way for the Smart List to know whether every single task comes from a list that's been published. This is functionality that we'll be looking into in the future though.
Posted 18 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
This thread and this one [http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/685/] both point out that Smart Lists cannot be published since they are simply filtered views.

As much as I understand the architectural reasons for this being the case, the ability to generate a publish-able list of the items derived from a Smart List would give a real boost to the feature you just announced regarding sharing lists as events on web calendars, such as Google Calendar.

I would very much like to do this via Smart List, and in the meantime I have to give some real thought to rearranging my tasks so their groupings will permit me to share them using RTM as it currently works.
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
maybe a certain tag could be marked as published?
Posted 18 years ago
gdj says:
An idea for redesign: Perhaps one could move/add the property "public" to the task. If the task's public property is not set it could take the value from the list. Then it wouldnt matter if the list is smart or not. This would mean that one would be able to subscribe to any list but only see those tasks that are public within that list.
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
good idea gdj.
Anyway... public smart lists or public tasks would be a very very useful !

This and the fact that you can't add subtasks for tasks are the only negative things for RTM. Other than theese RTM is GREAT !!
Posted 16 years ago
dara.pressley says:
Having a public smart list is crucial for me. We have a wiki to manage our projects and are looking to integrate our rss feeds so that we can see our tasks. But in order to get them in by the project/page we need some type of way to filter them.

If I choose to make a search public on my own tasks, I should be responsible for any "private" tasks that shows in the list. Maybe simply having a warning/disclaimer on the publish tab is sufficient. Then those of us who still want to proceed can have that functionality!
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Even though you can't publish a smart list you can still get a RSS/Atom feed, maybe you can use that?
Posted 16 years ago
dara.pressley says:
With out being able to publish the smart list, I can use an rss feed with them. They need to be authorized. No way to pass the username password through a wiki -- not even using the http://username:password@www.rememberthemilk.com

Only published list work. There for smart list are basically useless for my project.
Posted 16 years ago
janastasios says:
Yes, this would be awesome.
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
couldn't you use a private url?

Enable private addresses in the general tab on the settings page, and then go to the tasks page and click on the appropriate smart list and then click "atom" on the right and it should give you a private url address that might work for what you are trying to do.
Posted 15 years ago
dara.pressley says:
in order to use a private url, you need some type of tool to login on the url. Wikis don't do that.
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
dara.pressley, I think you are missing the whole point of the "private url". It doesn't require any loggin, but instead it is a url that is really long and funky looking so it would be impossible for a hacker to guess the url. So, it is just a pulically accessable url, just like any other public url, but it is just really long and funky looking. If your wiki can access any other public url, without having to log into it, then why not an RTM generated really long funky looking public url? hehe
Posted 15 years ago
This idea is considered similar to "Ability to publish Smart Lists", and all votes have been transferred to that idea.