Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

New repeat option: every month on the last day

rainerschnelle says:
I was looking for a way to have recurrings tasks appear on the last day of a month, that doesn't seem to be possible or am I missing something?
Posted at 6:20pm on June 27, 2008
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
This repeat option (and more!) are available in the new Remember The Milk. Thanks for everyone's feedback on this!
Posted 7 years ago
(closed account) says:
I have a somewhat similiar request ...

It would be cool if support could be added to enter more flexible date "rules" for recurring tasks.

As an example, I have a task which is recurring for the "last thursday of the month". In the current scheme, I have to manually modify the outstanding task for this month to ensure it is due on the correct date.
Posted 15 years ago
kervin87 says:
Needed this function just yesterday
Posted 12 years ago
italianwaite says:
Similar to above, There are things that I need to do on a certain day each month (e.g. 1st Tuesday of every month), but I need to be reminded of this task the day before. This might appear to be an obvious fix (e.g. just have the task repeat on the first Monday of every month.) But what if the first day of the month is a Tuesday? Then that reminder would not happen until 6 days later. So I would need a repeat setting like this: 'every month on the day before the 1st tuesday'. Or something similar.
Posted 12 years ago
toriporin says:
I want this function too.
Posted 12 years ago
as44taxes says:
Yes, I have quite a few tasks that must be completed on the last day of the each month. This would be a very desirable feature.
Posted 12 years ago
smaier says:
We shouldn't have to "vote" this feature in. It should be there already.
Posted 12 years ago
as44taxes says:
Unfortunately, the only solution I see (unless the programmers do something) is to set the recurring task for the 31st. It will repeat only on months that have 31 days. Then you have to set up a separate reminder for the months of April, June, September and November for the 30th and have each one of them repeat annually. If you wish, you can create one for February 28th and have it repeat annually. Also, you could have one for February 29th, and have it repeat every four years. This, I know, is like going from Mexico to Arizona via Alaska, but it's the only way I can see that you can automate this reminder.
Posted 12 years ago
sw2979 says:
It would be much appreciated if the developers could "tickle the little grey cells" and add this feature. While maybe not the most commonly used, it seems to be in the very next category.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
hurcane says:
I would vote for a "last" option as well. I specifically need last day of the month tasks.
Posted 12 years ago
jerrytsai says:
I'm with smaier, and quite surprised this is not available. With appreciation and respect, I like RTM, and appreciate its service. But I don't LOVE RTM and this is one of the reasons why. The difficulty of customizing RTM to my liking-- which IMO is not all that demanding-- precludes me, a Pro user, from proselytizing on RTM's behalf.

Powers that be at RTM, if you ever used ReDo on the Palm OS, it handled, easily, simply, and logically, all repeating tasks.

I have a task that repeats on the third Tuesday of odd-numbered months. With RTM, this would requires 6 separate entries OR 1 entry (with a note to ignore the task in even-numbered months). In ReDo, it only required one entry and it did it right without needing any notes.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yes, this is important feature!
Posted 12 years ago
utahtoad says:
I vote yes.
Posted 12 years ago
nickle says:
Start of the month would also be useful.

eg.

Start/End of month
Start/End of quarter
Start/End of year.

Also option to pick last none weekend.

So if the 31st is a Saturday, return the 30th.
Posted 12 years ago
randy.coulman says:
I would also like the ability to schedule things for the last day of every month.
Posted 12 years ago
loewenconsulting says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
jeffrey25 says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
okolnost says:
Anyone has an idea why this feature would taky 3 years to implement. Yes, I understand that it is probably low on importance list, but I do not think it has such low benefit/cost ratio that it should take 3 years... Guys, is this really so complex?
Posted 12 years ago
oconnor.brad says:
Pleeeeeeeeeease
Posted 11 years ago
twrzodak says:
low on importance list? But it is the basic functionality of the programs to manage tasks! poorly...
Posted 11 years ago
karlo.castillo says:
I was looking for a way to do this with one of my tasks. Came here to check and im glad someone has already made a suggestion, 4 years ago...

I'll settle with setting these tasks on the 28th of each month and then postponing them. A dirty hack but what are the other options?
Posted 11 years ago
beanj007 says:
Agreed... I use RTM for bills management so this would be SUPER handy for that. I've just been putting it on the 1st and then on pay day, looking ahead a day. Not ideal, but the least headache method.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
You can use these patterns:

every month on the last friday
every month on the 28th

or you could use sleeper tag "z1d" and a pattern with
every month on the 1st
Posted 11 years ago
morrisonpeter says:
bump, +1, how do I vote? Just became a pro user and this is the first limitation I have encountered that I would like fixed with a new feature.

In a perfect world, I would like to see the ability to say "X number of days before 1st." This would cover everyone's requirements with only one change to the code (except those that require the last weekday of the month). For the most part I only require 1 day before the 1st (last day of the month), but there are times I would like a task due 3 days or 1 week before the end of the month, so the X variable would solve that.

Thanks RTM! These forums rock.
Posted 11 years ago
kerryrosenhagen says:
+1. Seems pretty basic.
Posted 11 years ago
hofmannarts says:
Morrisonpeter is absolutly right. I often need the ability to say "last day of the month -x days" e.g. for finishing the timesheet in the office or to capture the power consumption. It cant' be to difficult to ad this.
Posted 11 years ago
tururum says:
I also thought that this feature is implemented, and was kind of disappointed when didn't find it
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
On the surface this seems like a very simple set of due on / repeat values. Love to see this get implemented!
Posted 11 years ago
chrisg says:
"Every month on the last weekday" would be very useful.
Posted 10 years ago
jafar.ahmed says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
thiago.braz says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
adamldyer says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
marius.i.marin says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
dylan.eiler says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
sunnysigara says:
+1
But I ahve a question..
What "end of month" & then "repeat monthly" does then?I saw in that in tips&tricks section. Isn't that the same as this feature?
Posted 10 years ago
a1anm says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
garygadget says:
+1
Also, the current default behaviour could do with a review. I set an item for 31st October with a 'repeat monthly' option, and the repeat item was created for 31st December (presumably because there's no 31st November). I'm pretty certain no-one wants that behaviour...
Posted 10 years ago
jtmanis says:
This would be a nice feature, especially for business and financial tasks. End of month, end of quarter, end of year, also some built-in knowledge of "business days" as implemented in Excel or LibreOffice would be appreciated - the ability to skip weekends and holidays, for instance. I know this varies on a country-by-country basis, but it would be very useful.
Posted 9 years ago
hornedowl says:
+1
Posted 8 years ago
thodo158 says:
+1
This is a very important additional feature!
Posted 8 years ago
gordonzano says:
Currently we have the ability to set "Every month on the last Monday"
but what is needed is "Every month on the last WORKDAY".

Have a preference listing the days of the week with check boxes so that people can specify which days are WORKDAYS.
Posted 8 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.