Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Lists as tabs!

mrjjwright says:
I love a lot about RTM, but lists as tabs has got to be the stupidest way to implement lists I could come up with. Come on RTM guys, change it and move to something like Todoist. Do you think Apple would ever let you implement lists as tabs in OSX or on the smart phone according to the HIG?

Great app!
Posted at 5:51am on March 30, 2008
kalhartt says:
I'm not that familiar with Todoist, but it seems they use a separate pane for lists. I'd rather not use another pane, 2 is enough. The minimalist in me appreciates tabs over something that takes more real estate. Tabs loose heir usefulness when there are more lists than will fit on one line. I'd prefer a dropdown box over a pane in that event. I'd also appreciate a number of entries in parenthesis beside the list name. Overall, I'm rather fond of tabs.
Posted 16 years ago
xynetha says:
I'd like to second the fondness for tabs. I think the interface is great the way it is... Only thing I'd change is being able to see your tag cloud when typing in tags for a task and adding time-duration smart lists on the overview page (seems like a good place for them, considering today and tomorrow are already there... I'd like to add some more customized durations with specific tag/list parameters... less tab clutter on my task page).
Posted 16 years ago
phousedj says:
I agree with everyone's point here, though I'd like to direct some advice to mrjjwright...it's usually helpful to acknowledge the amazing software/service RTM has already created. I might be on a limb here, but you use RTM enough to suggest more features, so yeah.

All that said, I do agree with some of mrjjwright's point, just not your harsh words. As someone with TONS of Lists (roughly 90), most search/dynamic lists, the tabs get crowded and unusable really fast. For fewer lists, tabs are quick and awesome but bogs down pretty fast past 10 or so.

To help frame how I use RTM, it's mostly in a GTD style, with one list per project. Definitely not the most space efficient.

An alternate list display, maybe offering a separate pane (though I'm unfamiliar with Todoist) might solve both desires.
Posted 16 years ago
xynetha says:
Okay, so I had to check out Todoist, and it's sort of neat with the way the lists (projects) are set up, and sub-tasks, pretty clever, but that's all there is to it - task, due, priority.

I feel for phousedj, I can see how if you have too many lists, it gets cumbersome. I have two lines of tabs, the first are normal lists the second are smart lists.... and I'm trying to keep it that way. I might want to add tasks to remind me to reassess (make smart lists), vs having those smart lists all the time. I haven't decided yet, but it's an option at least.

I would recommend emily or one of the other RTM folks checking out how Todoist handles subtasks, just in case they need some ideas to get the ball rolling for that feature.

If RTM implemented subtasks and task delegation (some way to send tasks to someone else, get some kind of confirmation that they understand they have a task to do, and some sort of notification when the task is completed & ability to read their notes (they'd need to be able to add notes, but that's it!), I... I can't even form the words to describe the perfection that would ensue.

Aloha!
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
phousedj: As for GTD projects, there is no need to create a list for each project. Create a tag instead, and use the tag cloud to access your project.

If you wish, create a project heading task in a Projects list. The reason for this is that way you will still have a tag in the tag cloud even if you have forgotten to add a next action to the project. When you're through with the project you delete this heading task and the tag disappears from the tag cloud.
Posted 16 years ago
xynetha says:
I take this back. It looks like sent items will work great for task delegation! Will have to test it more and write a post about it some other day.
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
I happen to like the tabs, especially after implementing lots of smart lists.

I have been doing GTD for 20 years, and this is the best system I have ever seen.

Don't forget that you can cycle through your tabs using the keyboard shortcut ctrl+shift+left or right arrow. Although, it is a little bit slow on my computer. Maybe RTM can afford faster servers at some point in the future. Although, it may be an issue of advanced database queries vs speed. If that is the case, I'll be happy to sacrifice speed, to continue to have awesome advanced features!!!!!!!

I like RTM so much, that I don't really feel motivated to look at this todoist thing that you are talking about.

As soon as I get my next paycheck, I am going to go RTM Pro!
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
kalhartt says:
I'm not that familiar with Todoist, but it seems they use a separate pane for lists. I'd rather not use another pane, 2 is enough. The minimalist in me appreciates tabs over something that takes more real estate. Tabs loose heir usefulness when there are more lists than will fit on one line. I'd prefer a drop down box over a pane in that event. I'd also appreciate a number of entries in parenthesis beside the list name. Overall, I'm rather fond of tabs.

@ kalhartt
It would be nice to have the option to include all of the smart list names in the floating pane on the right. Because, there are times when I'm closer to the bottom of a long list, and I have to scroll up before I can click on another smart list tab, since they are not included in the tag cloud. Also, it would be nice if the drop down options menu below the tabs was optionally floating on the pane also. I don't like having to scroll up just to click on something that is not on the task list. They got it part way right, by putting many options floating on the right. Now they need to finish the job by making it optional to put every option on the floating pane on the right, so you never have to scroll to find options to click. Yeah, that's the ticket. (I don't understand what you are saying, kalhartt, about "a number of entries in parenthesis beside the list name.")
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
:)
Posted 15 years ago
gorn says:
I thing this should be in personal options:

1. Lists as tabs
2. Lists in left panel
3. Lists in right panel
Posted 15 years ago
esector says:
The list of things that stops me from moving from Todoist to RTM:

1. I need lists to be placed in a left sidebar
2. I need sublists (or nested lists)
3. I need subtasks
4. I need to be able to reorder lists and sublists
5. I need to be able to color-code lists and sublists

Other than that --- RTM is great app!

Posted 15 years ago
janpeeters says:
I feel that the rows of lists and smart lists above tasks gets quite clogged (because of multiline, different listname lengths) when you have quite some lists.
Therefore it becomes difficult to focus the eyes to find certain lists. I feel my eyes have to search too long. Lists in columns are in my opinion much easier to the eye because there is only one direction to go. I would love to see an option where the lists are displayed as a column on the left or right side (like the geasemonkey extensions which are not optimal yet).
I would want to see a separation for smart lists and locations. I would also love it if items could be sorted or drag 'n' drop reordered to customize it to your needs.
Posted 15 years ago
dringerb says:
Now that I'm using the iPhone RtM, I appreciate the elegance of lists and panes rather than tabs. With the tiny amount of real estate that the iPhone gives you, it's actually easier to see what my projects are. It's that problem of tabs being distributed in a visually irregular manner.

So I'm here to advocate for a more hierarchical, linear presentation. That it, panes. Think of the elegance of the Mac OS Finder: you can see your list of folders on the left, descending uniformly. So not only can you see your immediate context (which list you're in) but you can quickly parse a list of projects. Which is easier to read, this: "wk - Admin", "wk - Client 1, budget", "wk - Client 1, eval", "wk - Client 2"; or this...

"wk - Admin"
"wk - Client 1, budget"
"wk - Client 1, eval"
"wk - Client 2"

It's self-evidently the second. And I really like the idea of this being a user option: if some people inexplicably preferable the cute little tabs, then they should have them; but for more effective use of RtM, I need a different interface.

I just now looked at Todoist, and, although it's wimpier feature-wise, the interface is instantly more useable. Sorry RtM - though I'm sticking with you as long as you keep making improvements!

Thanks,
Dan
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
This Greasemonkey script gets rid of the tabs, making them a list to your left:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/32518
Posted 15 years ago
dringerb says:
That's great! I'll install it, and if all works out I'll make happy noises to RtM about integrating it!
Posted 15 years ago
dringerb says:
Reporting back: the script recommended by wcitypoe works great. It gets rid of tabs and puts list names down the left side. RtM is now better (for me); the RtM developers should consider integrating this script as an optional feature. Thanks, wcitypoe!
Posted 15 years ago
This idea is considered similar to "Display the lists vertically on the left (instead of in tabs)", and all votes have been transferred to that idea.