Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Recover forgotten username

swati.jain says:
If it is not a security risk, could you improve the forgot your password thing? I spent quite a bit of time trying to login...I had the right password, though the wrong username. Since the user name had been suggested when I registered (my firstname.lastname), it would be clear why I couldn't remember it (normally not that).

So, when we are trying to login, is it possible to tell the user that the username they are trying to enter is not valid? Otherwise I end up trying all combinations of usernames and passwords I have to login. And another thing, when you reset your password..uh...could you email the username along with the new password as well?

Moreover, is it typically difficult to allow people to use their email address as their username as well? Or permit logging in by email address OR username?

Thanks
Swati
Posted at 1:04pm on December 14, 2005
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
There is currently one way to find out your username if you forget it -- email us at [old address removed] :)

We're definitely looking for a better solution though.
Posted 18 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for the suggestions -- sending the username and password together in an email is a security risk, but we'll see if we can do this another way.
Posted 18 years ago
swati.jain says:
Oh I didn't know it was a security risk. I know one of the sites that I used to go to used to give me an option to "view my password" after I've answered my "secret question." So I'd click on that and it'd show up on the screen instantly. Though for password they'd only email.

You could also just add a checkbox asking the user if they want an additional email with their username to be sent.

There is no way to retreive the username if the person has forgotten it...
Posted 18 years ago
graham.lowe says:
Why not have a forgot your username option? It's a standard feature to have both a forgot your username and a forgot your password feature. Here's a link to a google page that has both features:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ForgotPasswd?continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%3Fui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&service=mail&hl=en
Posted 18 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.