Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Due dates, time estimate and other

didaio says:
Hello!
I want to read some book in 3 weeks. From 3rd September to 23th September. I don't want make task repeated everyday.
May be RTM team can make option to add Due date in format 09/03/2007 - 09/23/2007?
Posted at 9:12pm on September 3, 2007
johnfoland says:
Like a sticky-due-date?
Posted 16 years ago
angela.randall says:
Ooh, that's a great idea.
Posted 16 years ago
bzpilman says:
One great different way of doing start dates. I like it.
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Yeah, personally, I like it better than start dates because it would fit seamlessly in the current interface and makes total logical sense.
Posted 16 years ago
bzpilman says:
It would, really.

e.g. 3rd September to 23th September
Due Tomorrow would be on 2nd Sep
Due Today would be from 3rd to 23rd
Overdue would be after 23rd

I can see it now being an even better and flexible approach to start dates.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
why not just treat the due date as the start date? Problem solved-no need for Bob to start coding.
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
bzpilman: I disagree.

e.g. 3rd September to 23th September
Due Tomorrow would be on 22nd Sep
Due Today would be on 23rd
Overdue would be after 23rd

But then, where would it be before 22nd Sep? Maybe undated until 3rd Sep and then dated due 23rd starting 3rd Sep? Or hidden, but where would you find it then?
Posted 16 years ago
didaio says:
rajjan, i completely agree with bzpilman.
I want see this task everyday without need to make it everyday complete (as with repeated task).

I want to make it complete when really complete.
Posted 16 years ago
Would you like to see it before Sep 3rd? If so, with what due date? Of course it shouldn't repeat, it's just one task.

See also http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/2177/ for a way to hide tasks until they can be started (at a certain date).
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
I'm still a big fan of this approach to start dates. It's perfect in my book.
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
This idea remind me of the Palm application by Pimlico Software, DateBk, and its feature of rollover due dates.

Start dates have always left me cold, but I can see how this would be a handy way to approach that without requiring a whole new attribute.
Posted 16 years ago
bzpilman says:
I also still think this is the perfect solution. Just perfect.
Posted 16 years ago
lazallen says:
i think bzpilman's approach is very neat. currently use the due date as a way to hide the task until I want to see it again, and then remove or replace the due date once it appears on it's first due date.

As always automating these manual processing points makes it easier to spend more time getting things done, rather than processing your tasks
Posted 15 years ago
alysson says:
I also have items that I have to complete withing a date range that I would like to see it throughout that time and mark it done when it is truly done. I have been using the start date as the due date then marking it done when it gets completed. However, it gets nerve-racking to constantly stare at an overdue item (that's not really overdue!).
Posted 15 years ago
Check this workaround using tags and smart lists, presently at the end of the thread: www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/590/

It was posted at 9:26am on November 25, 2008
Posted 15 years ago
This idea is considered similar to "Due date spans, e.g. make tasks due anytime this week", and all votes have been transferred to that idea.