Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

iPhone-optimized mobile version

kutyshalev says:
Have RTM work with iphone. I just got one and while I could view RTM via the browser, I couldn't add a task.

I saw that tada lists had a nice iphone app out. Something that uses the basic "finger" functionality of the phone would be really nice.
Posted at 1:43pm on July 10, 2007
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Remember The Milk for iPhone & iPod touch is now here! Please see our blog post for more details.
Posted 16 years ago
neror says:
The mobile interface (http://m.rememberthemilk.com) works fine with the iphone. Very fast, even over EDGE.
Posted 16 years ago
lago says:
be nice to get a dedicated widget, incase accesing the web is a no go (i.e. underground on a train) and then have it sync as when possible.
Posted 16 years ago
kutyshalev says:
Good point on the mobile version. I was trying the "full" version, and had trouble adding a task. I tested it in the mobile version and it works well.

I do think a iphone interface with the "finger" functionality would be fabulous. Hope you guys have the time to make it happen!
Posted 16 years ago
toccoa says:
@logo - my understanding is a true dedicated widget is not possible until more iPhone SDK info comes out from Apple.

However, what some developers are doing ( e.g. the todo iPhone app ) is to store the info locally in cookies. So you bring up your web page while access to net. then later without net access you can add/edit/delete items - the changes are in a cookie, then the next time you sync, the cookie goes up and the server applies the changes.
Posted 16 years ago
jjeudymd says:
The mobile version is great for WAP phones, but even with my Treo, I found it much easier to send in my tasks as SMS and to read lists through the mobile portal. Now that I have an iPhone, a better UI would really be helpful. Vitalist has come out with a REALLY nice implementation for the iPhone which would not be hard for Bob and the rest of the RTM crew to emulate. Of course, RTM is way more flexible so while tempting, it wouldn't make me happier.

Help Bob!!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
As a new iPhone user, I am switching out of my Treo / Outlook / Franklin Planner paradigm. I have to say, hooking up with GTD and by way of searching RTM has been a breath of fresh air.

I am one of those still in the 'implementation phase (or Part 2 of the GTD book)', but so far I like what I see.

UI-wise, I second the postings I am seeing about some kind of middle-road that has the functionality of the m.rememberthemilk.com page and the UI of something like tadalists.

Tadalist, RTM, I want you to go into a closet and not come out until you have a baby ^_^
Posted 16 years ago
winklebleck says:
the iphone has been a month in my pocket and nothing from RTM, this saddens me because there are a lot of other apps/sites tempting me. nozbe.com is very GTD friendly.

Now I use RTM mobile, and it works, very fast with EDGE ( this killed some of the other iphone friendly sites for me, toodledo is great, but it is a slug you're not on WiFi.

If you are not planning, or are a ways away from a iphone RTM site, PLEASE, PLEASE at least make it so when entering a new task, the page scrolls when I click next. Now, with the keyboard visable while entering form data, when you press next, it jumps to the next textbox, but does not scroll the page causing the textbox not to be visable. Every page I go to with a form will scroll the page, even pages not specifically for the iphone, and older mobile sites.

If we are not going to see an iphone RTM, can you please at least do this.
Posted 16 years ago
david.barnett says:
It's been almost a month since the last post. Is there any news about a more Iphone friendly version of RTM?

Perfectly willing to upgrade to PRO if that's what it takes!! Please just let us know if we should wait a while longer or look elsewhere.....
Posted 16 years ago
jonthn says:
I'm also too interested for a specific version of RTM for Iphone
Posted 16 years ago
ralphleon says:
Maybe if enough show interest?

I too am interested... it does not seem like it would be that difficult... (a little CSS3 here, a dash of iPhone specific functionality there)

As far as the "web standards" thing goes this article has a nice discussion of the "made-for-iphone" trend:

http://www2.jeffcroft.com/sidenotes/2007/jul/18/question-those-who-think-made-iphone-apps-bad-idea/
Posted 16 years ago
Thanks for everyone's feedback -- iPhone is still on our to-do list :)
Posted 16 years ago
ajcowell says:
Any chance it can sliver up that list a bit quicker?

:-)

Thanks for a cool tool.
Posted 16 years ago
schonereise says:
I am also waiting on an iPhone version but if it does not come quickly I may move to something else.
Posted 16 years ago
gonzie says:
and now the ipod touch oh please oh please oh please
Posted 16 years ago
winklebleck says:
I already moved to Toodledo, they seem to be moving their product forward at a much faster rate. This whole Pro thing with no real features, aside from supporting the cause, put a bad taste in my mouth.

Toodledo is great, the iphone page can be sluggish on edge, but it is very useful,
Posted 16 years ago
shennyg says:
One more for the iphone RTM app
Posted 16 years ago
kyle.r.simon says:
to Winklebleck:

Why would the "pro" thing put a bad taste in your mouth. It is essentially like having a paypal donation button. I find it somewhat refreshing that there are still things that are full-functioning but free! I have just started using RTM a week or so ago, but the model of "support us if we've helped your cause" is a noble one. It certainly allows a service like RTM to develop a fan base.
Posted 16 years ago
b2pix says:
Add another person interested in anything specific you did for the iPhone.

And RTM has become such a part of my routine, I jumped on the Pro bandwagon before knowing anything about additional features. It saves me so much effort that it was worth the cost even without additional features.
Posted 16 years ago
gmonty says:
Another one. iPhone is not even in Australia yet but I have been wishing for this.
Posted 16 years ago
fortes says:
The mobile site works fairly well (although it displays only 10 items per page) -- but I would love an iPhone optimized site as well :)
Posted 16 years ago
drecuset says:
Well I can only say that RTM is a great product and I also became Pro, however, I don't have enough words to express my desire for an iPhone feature on RTM. I would pay for Pro again if that's what it took.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Count me in. Proper iPhone support is crucial for me. Would hate leave for nozbe or vitalist just for that reason.
Posted 16 years ago
jamesws3 says:
Would also sign up for pro in an instant for iphone support.
Posted 16 years ago
team.frosick says:
Just finished making the switch from RTM to Toodledo. It loads a bit slower on EDGE - but it's bearable and much more iPhone friendly.
Posted 16 years ago
lodestone says:
Another vote for a dedicated 'touch friendly' iPhone interface. Things like this might entice moderate users, like me, to upgrade to a Pro account. Just throwing that out there...
Posted 16 years ago
jjeudymd says:
RTM was clearly the better system out there before the iPhone even dropped. Now some of you want to scramble to anything just because it supports the iPhone?

Toodledo, Vitalist, etc have thrown a bunch of stuff together but it really can't compare to RTM's execution.

I've used RTM efficiently since I had my old Treo 600 . Vitalist... Nozbe....I've had an iPhone since day 1 and I haven't been impressed with the other options even though they're milking the iPhone popularity. Toodledo may now be the top contender and may be okay for some. What I need is (sorry the pun) is to optimally get things done! The flexibility and ease of RTM beats the eye-candy but less functional design of the others by far.

The fact that I can:
* Email tasks or lists of tasks directly to my account (even from my iPhone)
* Forward other projects or emails to my tasks;
* Can work with SMS, IM, Twitter, Jott. Get my notifications regularly
* work seamlessly with a rich web experience and even offline
* work off my Google homepage
* pump my public RSS feeds to my RSS reader
* use the already available basic mobile version, but I can even use mobile Safari to browse the native site with little effort (isn't that one of the best things about the iPhone to begin with?)
* most importantly, knowing that 2 (sorry, 3!) individuals with little resources are putting together an unquestionably solid product AND an iPhone version is on its way shortly anyway.

Cut some slack already... It's obvious that there's interest...

I was willing to wait for an iPhone.. I'm willing to wait for RTM. Did you write Apple saying that you'd buy a Blackberry Pearl because they delayed the iPhone? Did you buy Vista because Leopard was delayed?

If that sole feature is putting you off of RTM, just go to TadaList, Vitalist or simply use the iPhone notes, RTM is probably too much for your needs.
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Hahahaha, nicely said, jjeudymd!

Along those lines : What will happen when the Google GodPhone is released, and you subsequently donate your iPhone to starving kids in the ghetto? Or when Motorola makes the RAZR thinner than paper? Will this same thread repeat itself each time?
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
The mobile RTM is pretty good and I generally like RTM better, but Toodledo has a really nice interface that just looks amazing on the iPhone. Any way you guys could emulate it?

Posted 16 years ago
sreekantham says:
I'm sticking with RTM a little longer. But if no iPhone app comes out I might be looking else where for a better solution.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I gotta say that I have migrated back to RTM recently and was hoping to see the iPhone interface as well... unfortunately no. The mobile interface (while it works) is NOT a perfect solution.

Maybe a suggestion:

Phase 1: A simple "hack" release that allows us to have a better iPhone interface without ajax goodness

Phase 2: Your full product launch as you hope to do it on iPhone.
Posted 16 years ago
b2pix says:
Part of the puzzle that's missing for them to do an iPhone version is that they don't have access to one on their networks Down Under, yet.... so patience, folks... it works "well enough" and its still better than everything else I've tried... especially the mobile version.
Posted 16 years ago
jjeudymd says:
Now that Steve Jobs has announced a future software development kit for 3rd party apps, all of these workarounds will become moot anyway.

Looking forward to a native RTM app on the iPhone!
Posted 16 years ago
fuzzy76 says:
Contrary to popular belief, you do not need an iPhone to make iPhone apps. All you need is the Safari browser, and it's available both for OS X and Windows.

But it still requires a bit of work, but I trust it's fairly high on the RTM Team's todo-list. :)

Personally, I won't care yet. The iPhone won't be available here (Norway) until some time in 2008. ;)
Posted 16 years ago
fuzzy76 says:
Btw, won't http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/modules/googleig/ work (as a temporary solution) on the iPhone?
Posted 16 years ago
hunkdujour says:
I'm glad to hear that it is on the to-do list, Emily! I'm sure it has been appropriately prioritized and look forward to seeing the feature (as well as the higher-priority stuff above it on the list) soon!

=) Chris
Posted 16 years ago
mcnitt says:
One more nudge for the iPhone UI. ;)
Posted 16 years ago
wdonovan says:
I use the mobile version w the iPhone and frankly I think it's more than satisfactory
Posted 16 years ago
brent.mcleod says:
At the very least they should implement iphone/safari detection and size up the fonts a little bit. That's less than an hours worth of work to vastly improve the existing interface.
Posted 16 years ago
jjeudymd says:

After all that noise, no thanks to the crew?
Posted 16 years ago
david.barnett says:
Thank you thank you!! Now if I can just figure out how to complete a task.....
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I haven't figured out how to complete a task either. Judging from the "screenshot" on the far right I'd say we're supposed to swipe our finger across the task (just like you do with SMS messages) and then the Complete button will appear. Alas, that motion does not summon the elusive complete button.

I see that if I hold my finger down on a task it displays a popup listing the word "Complete" juxtaposed with the name of the task.

Very frustrating. Anyone know how to complete a task?

Thanks again for the iphone version!
Posted 16 years ago
david.barnett says:
I got an answer from Emily in my help post...I'll repost it here:

Hey David,

It's kind of similar to how mail works on the iPhone (unfortunately we can't do the swipe thing, as it's not supported in Safari as yet, but we'll do that as soon as it's possible to make things a bit quicker :)

To complete a task, tap the 'Edit' button on the task list. You'll get blue check icons next to each task -- tap one to select it for completion (you'll see that blue complete button, which you can then tap). 'Done' will get you out of that mode.

We've tried to make it as fast as possible to complete tasks in a list, without having to go into the task details each time.

Hope this helps!

Posted at 2:23pm on November 3, 2007
Posted 16 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.