Velkommen!  Norsk (Bokmål) Language Switcher

Thinking about going Pro? Votes are doubled for Pro users; each vote adds +2 or -2.

Have a new idea?

Submit a suggestion

Show tasks and notes in a single pane

aaronrwilson says:

Not sure why task info and notes are currently hidden from each other on two different tabs. Would be great if the notes on a task simply appeared right below the task info (on the same pane). This would eliminate the need to toggle back and forth between two tabs to review or add notes and simplify things (saving keystrokes and/or clicks, plus reviewing would be faster and easier). Looks like there is plenty of screen space to do this.

Thanks.

Posted at 4:41pm on May 4, 2010

Dislike
totman says:

Amen brother! That's one thing that had me hesitant to transfer my GTD system over to RTM... but for more compelling reasons I've made the leap! (best GTD integration for GTD)

Does anyone know how/if it possible to add notes from w/in the iphone app?
(I can view notes, but can't seem to create them. but I do have other fields I don't seem to use available- such as location)

Posted 4 years ago

atul.awasthi says:

I guess this is because some people like me create a LOT of notes for one repetitive task.

I would rather prefer another tab, since a single tab would be extremely cluttered.

Posted 4 years ago

amoslemi says:

+ Ten Thousand

Oh god please make this possible, it's always a problem to see a task and not have the notes all in the same view, you'll either never use notes or forget you have them, especially since they don't show up in the print view.

Posted 4 years ago

marc.calamia Pro says:

couldn't agree more-- let's keep this request alive. spent an hour already today just checking hack forums for a solution.

a task should display all relevant info in one simple interface -- not segmented and tabbed in different locations, even.

thanks RTM -- great product. adding notes field to task field in the web display would be tremendous improvement to user flow.

Posted 4 years ago

nohant says:

+10 wide screen

Posted 4 years ago

ezhan says:

+100500

Posted 4 years ago

hlslaughter Pro says:

++++ why are the notes buried 3 additional clicks away? they should be inline with the rest of the task details

Posted 4 years ago

minktoast says:

couldn't agree more - please make an option to either show notes below the task info or to the righ for wide screens.... it doesn't have to be default - just an option for those who want it.

Posted 4 years ago

dave_elfariz says:

Absolutely agree with minktoast. It does not need to be made a default, rather an option for those who prefer this. Since the online version automatically creates headers for notes, this could be included in the same plane as the task details, even if there are multiple notes (selectable bars or columns) in the same view.

Posted 4 years ago

trienism says:

The notes are absolutely useless if you type more than a sentence. We need some additional UI enhancements.

Posted 3 years ago

chisha Pro says:

+100000 for a notes pane beneath the task details, agree that it doesn't have to be a default but would be massively useful

Posted 3 years ago

lubelski says:

Notes in the android app appear this way, and it is fantastic.

That is, it's fantastic until you come back to your computer and you're reminded of what the webapp looks like.

Posted 3 years ago

jamie.mccoy says:

This is a big need ... fine if it's an option but saving a few clicks to view and edit notes as the same time as the task details are shown is huge

Posted 3 years ago

alfredozurdo says:

+1 yes!

Posted 3 years ago

goruys says:

+1 yes please. I am not using notes functionality at all because I am afraid I will forget to check them. It would be great to have an option to show them automatically.

Posted 3 years ago

francola Pro says:

Please! It would help the workflow considerably.

Posted 3 years ago

rmchale says:

+1

Posted 3 years ago

fireweed says:

Good idea - a logical rationalisation of the UI.

Can we have a utility which converts tasks into notes please, and one which reverses this - ie. converts notes into tasks ?

Posted 3 years ago

nickwright80 says:

+1

Posted 3 years ago

smulligan says:

This is an obvious no-brainer. You could even implement it as an option within "settings" to have either A) the current display or B) the new display with the note automatically open.

Posted 3 years ago

jana.denegri Pro says:

It is a hassle to have to continue the clicks to see your notes. An option for the notes to display below or to the side of the task would be great. I, too, often forget to read the notes and repeat the information in the task title itself.

Posted 3 years ago

pfeerick Pro says:

Or perhaps show at least the first line of an attached note in the main list view?

Posted 3 years ago

avv.fabio.palano says:

i think that is the best feature you can imagine on rtm.

Posted 3 years ago

richardholt2011 says:

I dont use the note feature because basically it's hidden - not only do you not see the contents of the note, you dont even get a hint that you have written any content. Happy to lose something else on the screen such as the panel expalining the 'key' in order to make space

Posted 3 years ago

peterroesch Pro says:

This would be great! At the moment 4/5 of the screen is used for the task list. The notes could been shown under the due-date and priority tab. Also, we are free poeple, could perhaps change the width of the parts of the screen on our own.

Posted 3 years ago

newmilkentry Pro says:

+1
I agree. Not only that, but when I add a new task on the web interface, I have to find the task again before I can add a note, especially if I made the task in a list different from the one currently displayed. That's just silly.

Posted 3 years ago

collinsp says:

I agree, can't do much with notes unless you know there ARE notes attached. This defeats the purpose of using RTM so you don't have to remember every detail!

Posted 3 years ago

olivier.attree says:

yes indeed !!
I am a new to RTM, loving it much already but this feature is obviously lacking ...

I agree with several above that the best way might be to offer it as an option in the settings, that could be disabled in case too many notes are attached to a single task (or display only the first 2 or 3 notes ?)

Posted 3 years ago

jdanielp Pro says:

Seeing note content at a glance is important to me. I don't use notes often, perhaps because (as richardholt200 says) it's "hidden"

Posted 3 years ago

levr says:

Can't agree more - please don't hide the notes few light-years away...

Posted 3 years ago

yasutaka.ito says:

Yes, always felt Notes for the task is hidden...

Posted 3 years ago

waireka says:

+! would make the notes feature much more usable

Posted 2 years ago

justin.rousselle Pro says:

+1

Posted 2 years ago

siddharthnair says:

+1

Posted 2 years ago

jmhoskins Pro says:

Yes!! Would be great when you're a dozen notes deep and more.

Posted 2 years ago

tudor.balan says:

Absolutly agree, notes are vital to monitor status update of the task by my team members. The best solution i think would be to place a grey icon on the same row as the task. The icon should turn blue (or any other color) when a new note is added my somebody and then the user could just hoover the icon and see the new notes and then answer quickly with another note. This is the only feature that keeps me away of installing it for my entire organization. Could somebody from RTM reply to this requirement?

Thanks and looking forward

Posted 2 years ago

ondrej.marsalek says:

This seems rather straightforward to implement. It's not like there is not enough screen space, so it is hard to imagine an argument against this proposal. RTM, please fix this.

Posted 2 years ago

rod.henderson says:

+1 Please make notes simpler. I would would keep task notes in RTM all the time if it was just a simple text area below the task details.

Posted 2 years ago

carla176 says:

I'd love this feature to be implemented! It's too easy to forget whether a particular task has notes (I've taken to including a reminder to see notes in the task description). I also like to use the notes as a workaround for not having sub-tasks, but putting the sub-tasks into that field. This would be much more workable if they displayed on the same pane!

Posted 2 years ago

wizard210 says:

This would be great. Is there any plans for this feature to be added to the web interface. Is there a greasmonkey script that can do this?

Posted 2 years ago

trodrigues Pro says:

Would also be good if the space for writing notes was bigger. It's something where you'll probably write some text and right now it feels so small for such a task.

Posted 2 years ago

iroquai says:

Yess, do this! :)

Posted 2 years ago

lisa.cataldi says:

Exactly!

Posted 2 years ago

wizard210 says:

Not being able to see the notes in the same task pane makes me not even use notes. And for me notes are vital as I use them to update my task as I go.

Posted 2 years ago

moyn2000 Pro says:

would love this, or at least a shortcut key to display the notes in a (wide) popup window. Toggling is nuts... thx

Posted 2 years ago

e_dawg8 says:

+1

Posted 2 years ago

karlo.castillo says:

+10 please

Posted 2 years ago

kiefer.mike Pro says:

This is one of my biggest frustrations in using the app. I would use the Notes a lot more if they were easier to preview/add/edit at a glance.

Posted 2 years ago

rrrick Pro says:

I would also like to see this change - or have the option.

Posted 2 years ago

paulpaul101 Pro says:

I agree.

Posted 2 years ago

douglas.silvio Pro says:

+1

Posted 2 years ago

aplex Pro says:

+1, would love to see this. Would make RTM much more efficient!

Posted 2 years ago

mrpants888 Pro says:

I'm pretty disappointed that this still hasn't been implemented yet.

Posted 2 years ago

blake.arensdorf says:

I would really benefit from this feature. I use a lot of notes and having to click twice to get to them is more work than necessary when there is a lot of white space on the screen to be used.

Posted 2 years ago

mckeough1 Pro says:

I totally agree. It would be great to have an option to view part of the notes in a list and then perhaps be able to click on a task which would open a pane with the notes and all other details of the single task! PLEASE!!!

Posted 1 year ago

mr.louis Pro says:

+1

Posted 1 year ago

ernfors Pro says:

I have also reported this over a year ago. This would be a huge improvement.

Posted 1 year ago

ernfors Pro says:

If you like this idea you can like my earlier suggestion here as well. :)

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/10316/

Posted 1 year ago

moyn2000 Pro says:

I'd be happy if there was a shortcut key to open notes in a pane at the bottom of the screen or, if necessary, in a different window. I use notes to save emails and the narrow tall window is not formatted for this very well... I'd like to have a wider window. To simulate this, I use the print note option ... but that's a lot of steps.

If I just had a shortcut key that popped the notes open in a pane/window, and toggled to hide them again, I'd be a happy camper.

Posted 1 year ago

rswarr says:

+1

Posted 1 year ago

fieldfare Pro says:

+1. My biggest gripe with RTM.

Posted 1 year ago

heijdenc says:

+1

Posted 1 year ago

marekhappy says:

+1

Would be nice to have a settings to see Notes as default. ;-)

Posted 1 year ago

seih says:

+1

Posted 1 year ago

byuen Pro says:

+1

Posted 1 year ago

davidonabus Pro says:

Yes, please.

Posted 8 months ago

shardvicens Pro says:

Or perhaps adding an icon to signify a task has a note, and making that icon clickable to either bring up a popup or expand the task to include the notes.

Posted 7 months ago

shardvicens Pro says:

and for the people that have very long notes, there can be a preview limit, where if it is longer than x characters, you have to click to read more.

Posted 7 months ago

theanalyst says:

If one could view both panes (note and task detail) if would be easiest to implement a work around idea I posted on the thread for dependent tasks. Put a list of tasks in the Note. As each task is completed, make it "completed" and then duplicate the task and rename the task from the completed step to the next step. Not having to toggle between the two panes would make it easier to use this method.

Posted 5 months ago