Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Adding the iCal feed to 30Boxes?

benrad says:
I use 30Boxes in conjunction with RTM, and I'd live to be able to integrate the two. However, whenever I add the iCal feed to 30Boxes, it gives me an error. I suspect that it's because the feed does not include a file with .ics at the end. I don't know much about iCal at the moment, but is there an ics file designated for each RTM view, or will this not work?
Thanks.
Posted at 4:42pm on April 13, 2006
michael.languay says:
I too, use both 30boxes and RtM because I find both to be the best of their type, by far. Some way to link the two would put you both so far in front of the competition, even Google's new calendar, that it would take years for everyone else to catch up.

Any way to make something like this happen?
Posted 17 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
The iCalendar feed works with iCal and other online web calendar readers, so I'm not sure why 30Boxes wouldn't be reading it properly. You might need to contact 30Boxes and report the problem to them -- unfortunately there isn't anything else we can do on our end, as the feed works fine with other software.

Also, you might need to check if 30Boxes handles both events and tasks in iCalendar feeds -- the Remember The Milk iCalendar feed contains tasks and not events, so software that handles only events will not display the tasks from the feed.

Hope this helps!
Posted 17 years ago
michael.languay says:
Thanks!
Posted 17 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
As for Google Calendar, I have one of my RTM feeds in iCal, and I exported that to an ICS file locally, which I imported to Google Calendar. Google does not like tasks, and reported there were no events to import, so that avenue was a bust.

Similarly, a direct subscription to the RTM feed in Gcal bellied up, too. I couldn't tell if that was a task/event issue or an authentication issue.

Any other suggestions? Am I missing something obvious?
Posted 17 years ago
The Google Calendar import appears to handle events only, so we'll need to look into providing an iCalendar export which has tasks converted to events.
Posted 17 years ago
rakesh says:
On the note of tasks and events. This may be known, but just in case; You can add a 'task' - an event without a start and end time - by using quick add function, wihout specifying the time.

eg: Check RTM today

This will then show on the top of the day's events. If that task needs to be repeated, click on the task and then from the drop down |more actions| menu click repeat and then specify the repeat conditions.

Hope this helps anyone.
Posted 17 years ago
We now provide an iCalendar feed which exports tasks as events -- see this blog post for details.
Posted 17 years ago
benrad says:
Thanks...I'll poke around at the 30Boxes forum some more...
Posted 17 years ago
deichkind says:
emily, I read the blog post and tried to add my events in 30Boxes and in my iCal. In 30Boxes it did not work, but in iCal. After I typed in my login/password. Is there a way to publish my events to make it unnessesary to authentificate myself?
I think that is the reason why 30Boxes says it does not recognize the webcal-format.

Cheers,
Arvid
Posted 17 years ago
Arvid -- yes, you can publish your list to make it publicly accessible. Quick instructions are available in the help section here.
Posted 17 years ago
deichkind says:
Hm, I think I don't get the differences then. I used the webcal url ending on ../events/ in iCal and all tasks with due dates show up fine.
But when I use one of my lists, I published already, with there specific webcal url I don't see anything in iCal.

So I was wondering if there is a way to use the first one (the one for events) without having to add an username/password.

Do you know what I mean? *confused*
Posted 17 years ago
iCal supports authentication, so it's not necessary to make your list public to access it in iCal.

However, I don't think that 30Boxes supports authentication, so you will first need to publish your list for the public so that 30Boxes will be able to access it.

So, to subscribe to your list in 30Boxes, first publish the list for the public, then locate the iCalendar feed:

1. Switch to the list which has the iCalendar feed you wish to access.
2. Make sure you have no tasks selected so that the list details box appears on the right.
3. Copy-and-paste the iCalendar URL from the list details box.
4. Add 'events' to the end of the URL. So,

webcal://www.rememberthemilk.com/icalendar/yourusername/123456/

becomes

webcal://www.rememberthemilk.com/icalendar/yourusername/123456/events/

Once you have that URL, you should be able to subscribe to it in 30Boxes.

If you're still experiencing problems, please email us at [old address removed] with the iCalendar URL you're trying to subscribe to, and we can check to make sure there are no problems on our end.
Posted 17 years ago
deichkind says:
emily, thanks a lot! I did not understand the "add events to the end of the iCalendar feed of your choice"... ;-)
I tested it with iCal again, it worked very well now. Only the guys of 30B may know why none of my events show up in my calendar...

Thank you very much. :-)
Posted 17 years ago
No problem, sorry the instructions weren't clear (we're working on adding full instructions with screenshots to the help section to make this process easier :)
Posted 17 years ago
benrad says:
Emily, thanks so much...you're a life saver.
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.