Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Support for iPhone OS 3.0 Software Update

emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Just wanted to re-post the contents of my blog post regarding iPhone 3.0 so that folks are aware of this:

"As many iPhone and iPod touch users are no doubt aware (and counting down to!), the iPhone OS 3.0 Software Update will be available from Apple today.

Due to the many technical changes in iPhone 3.0, we’ve submitted an updated version of the Remember The Milk app to Apple. This update improves stability and performance on the iPhone 3.0 software, and fixes some bugs that are specific to iPhone 3.0 (in particular, the “swipe to complete tasks” feature won’t work on iPhone 3.0 without the updated version of our app).

We’re currently waiting for our updated app to be approved by Apple and made available for download on the App Store; we’ll update this post as soon as it’s available (in the meantime, if the “swipe to complete” feature is critical to your workflow, you might wish to hold off on updating your iPhone to 3.0 for just a little bit :)."
Posted at 8:10am on June 17, 2009
(closed account) says:
Are there any new features in the update? Push? :)
Posted 14 years ago
odelaney, I was wondering how long it would take to get asked that question (3 min apparently :)

I'll have a follow-up blog post answering this very question just as soon as Apple approves our updated app.
Posted 14 years ago
paulnstone says:
For those that can't wait to update to 3.0... i.e. everyone probably!

The current version of RTM's iPhone app still works pretty well on 3.0. As Emily states, the main thing is that the swipe to complete doesn't work, but you can click 'Edit' in the top-right of the screen, then select the tasks to complete/postpone and click the appropriate button at the bottom. Doesn't take too much longer!
Posted 14 years ago
lukekim says:
I can't wait for the push notifications to come.

I only signed up for RTM because Apple had stated push would eventually come.

Oooo so close now.
Posted 14 years ago
kevinmeyers says:
I never knew swipe to complete existed. Now I can't wait to install the updated app so I can try using it, as well as (hopefully!) pushy mcpush.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
And embedded maps like Omnifocus have done?
Posted 14 years ago
pstoffel says:
Spotlight Search showing RTM tasks, wouldn't that be a timesaver too?

I think all uncompleted tasks should be linked into Spotlight, but a (Smart) List of your choice is of course the most flexible approach.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
@pstoffel, this would be great, but unfortunately spotlight is not useable in Apple's SDK. Hopefully they'll open this up to 3rd party apps at some stage though.
Posted 14 years ago
pstoffel says:
@odelaney, thanks for the correction: I misinterpreted a blog post somewhere else. Let's hope the Spotlight API will be available in 3.1, shall we? ;-)
Posted 14 years ago
hebbet says:
apple is very slow in reviewing the apps that is not nice :(

Hopefully the updated fixes a problem with marking tasks as done
Posted 14 years ago
handust says:
OMG, the wait on this is killing me. I only just recently discovered the swipe to complete feature, which instantly turned RTM on my iPod Touch from a pretty app that irritated me to my most used app that is literally helping me run my life. I see there are a LOT of people who don't know about the swipe to complete -- should be better documented. I can't stand going back to marking things complete from within edit.

Anyway, I can't wait for Apple to get their butt in gear -- I literally would have held off upgrading to 3.0 had I known about this first. I've been checking the updates about 10 times a day hoping to see the update.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
"very slow" at the best if times. Since OS3.0 went live there's been very few updates or new apps. Especially ones that use push. There's rumors that they are having issues with push now, which would explain the lack if RTM (with push?), Beejive IM, NotifyMe, etc etc etc. It seems they are holding back app updates that will be using push with any intensity. Pathetic. They've also removed any mention of push notifications from the OS3.0 software update site. Tiny.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Ok I take it back Beejive and AIM updates are live now with push so hopefully RTM will follow shortly. Obviously I'm just speculating that RTM will give us push right now. Here's hoping.
Posted 14 years ago
fric says:
If RTM gives us push I'll eat my ipod touch and buy an iphone right away.
Posted 14 years ago
fric says:
Oh, and push on Beejive works very well, even on my ipod touch.
Posted 14 years ago
azcoov says:
I dislike that a reputable company like RTM can post a 3.0 compatibility update and get put on the back burner by the app store review process but other developers who are posting these NC-17 nudity apps are being quickly approved. (yes I'm being dramatic)
Posted 14 years ago
robmyers64 says:
Kevin, "swipe to complete" makes the iPhone app so much better! You will love it, just as I miss it terribly. The web interface seems so clunky in comparison to the iPhone interface, that even when I'm at my computer, I use the phone to track my tasks.

Feature request: I would enjoy absolute positional prioritization of items (perhaps as an option, and certainly with the iPhone's usual drag-drop list-arranging interface). Priority is far too vague (but don't add more, that would be silly), and while I use dates to prioritize, that still leaves me with a vague sense of what needs doing *now*. There are "to-do" apps that literally only let you see the next item on your list. You can either do it or postpone it. Apparently psychologists (or marketers) are telling us we need that. I disagree, but I still would prefer to tell RTM "this high priority/today item is more important than that high-priority/today item."
Posted 14 years ago
terence.busmire says:
Just downloaded the update. 1.1.0. The "Swipe to Complete" seems to work. Also, asked me if I would allow Push when I fired it up after upgrading. Looks good!
Posted 14 years ago
wojo says:
It's finally out. I don't see any updates except swiping works and push for tasks with times (no push of badges, though).
Posted 14 years ago
chandra.gaajula says:
I just got the update for Version 1.1.0. Everybody, Time to Update your App on iPhone.
Posted 14 years ago
chandra.gaajula says:
Hip Hip Hooray!!

The notifications work great. This takes the app to a whole new level. Thanks for a splendid job.
Posted 14 years ago
rob.orr says:
Emily - OK - it's out, its installed and it works! Now what about that 'further blog'...
Posted 14 years ago
hpb says:
Will be interesting to see how push notifications work now that the update is out!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
It's out! And it rules! Thank you bob! I'm guessing it would be ab we should be thanking really?

Why no sounds or badges options for the notifications though? I only see an option for alerts, so I just get the popup with no sound or change to the badge.

It's still great to have push working with RTM though.
Posted 14 years ago
hpb says:
Push is working alright but there is a few kinks that are really really anoying.

There is no sound for the push notifications (no option to turn sounds on either)
swiping the keyboard lock off brings you into the app
Seeing as the app launches you don't get the badges without going into the app

Hopefully this will be resolved.
Posted 14 years ago
hpb says:
Forums needs an edit function.. :-p

If your phone isnt locked you get the option to close the reminder.
Posted 14 years ago
wwelch says:
Just got the update! Thanks for the notifications!!!!!
Posted 14 years ago
fric says:
*eats ipod*
push works!
Posted 14 years ago
yaedio says:
Have the update, off to play ...

Note: there's a link to rmilk.com/iphoneupdate which doesn't include this latest version. Just a heads up
Posted 14 years ago
manning999 says:
RTM iPhone version 1.1.0 just went live. Claims to be 3.0 tested, push reminders, improved stability/performance, and bug fixes. Updating and checking it out NOW!
Posted 14 years ago
fric, I hope that iPod was tasty... :)
Posted 14 years ago
Now that the update is available and Push Notifications is out, I'm going to close this topic and re-direct everyone over to the new Push Notifications topic. Thanks for all the feedback here!

To answer some of the remaining questions in this topic:

Sound alerts not working: answered in this topic (it's a bug).

Badge updates: created this topic and posted an explanation (please head over there if you'd like to discuss this one further :)

Push Notifications not working: for anyone experiencing problems, please try the steps on the (now updated :) troubleshooting page and let me know if you continue to have problems.

Thanks! :)
Posted 14 years ago
You cannot post under this topic as it is locked.