Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Can I create a custom list of tasks?

moult says:
I wasn't exactly sure how to phrase this, so let me explain my situation.

RTM is really useful for me to list out all the tasks I have per project, personal, studies, etc. However is it possible to have a special list where I can say "This list shows what I will be doing today". By this I do NOT mean show tasks that have a due date of today, but a special list so that I can specially select tasks that will _also_ be shown in this list as well a the original list. This means that any changes I make to the task will also be mirrored across the new list and the original list. EG: If I complete it in the "What I will do toady" list, it will be completed in the original list too.

Is this possible? I think it would be a great idea to be able to every morning take a quick peek, select items from different lists and transfer it to a "daily" to do list.
Posted at 8:32am on June 15, 2009
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
There are two types of lists: regular and smart lists.
All tasks belong to one and only one regular list (Inbox for example). In addition to this, a task can belong to any number of smart lists.

I suspect that a setup of one or more smart lists is what you need, read more here: www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/smartlists/whatare.rtm.
Posted 14 years ago
moult says:
Well, instead of creating a smart list that lists all my items with the tag "today", it's a bit annoying to have to tag things manually. Is there an alternative? If not, I guess I'll just tag it.
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
moult, Smart Lists can do some "automatic" things, but only when such searches can be performed. For instance, it can automatically show you anything new tagged with "today", but only if you tag tasks that way. And it can show you anything due within a specified number of days, but only if you've set the due date on those tasks.

You could use things like tag, priority, location, List, or notes to specify what should show up, but I'm not sure which would work best for you.

What kind of automation would help in your case? In other words, if you're not basing your selection of a day's tasks on the due date, on what what are you basing it?
Posted 14 years ago
moult says:
Well, I'm basing it on whatever tasks I feel like doing that day. Some of my tasks have due dates, yes, but for the rest of them, I choose what I want to tackle. Each day I want to be able to select a group of tasks from any of my existing lists that I feel like doing and say "put these in a separate list i can quickly look at".

From what I understand, the only way to do that now is to tag them individually each day then make a smart list to display it. Is that right?

If it is, if others also like this workflow like I do, perhaps I might suggest it as a feature request?
Posted 14 years ago
benb says:
If you really don't want to do it with the due date, tags is your only option.

You can mae it a lot easier though by enabling multi edit first ("m" keyboard shortcut), then selecting all the tasks you want to work on, and then you can add the tag "today" or whatever to all of them in one go.
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
You could also move those tasks to a "Today" list or something too, but that would move them out of whichever list they were in. Depending on how you organize your tasks in general, that may not work.

I agree with benb though, tags and a Smart List searching for that tag would probably be the most effective way to go.
Posted 14 years ago
moult says:
Thank you :)
I think I shall use tags and a smart list then. However maybe this might be a good idea for future development :)
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.