Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Searching doesn't correctly handle "hours" or "minutes"

(closed account) says:
I came across this when trying to get a search using the "dueBefore" option. I'm sure the problem has less to do with "dueBefore" than it does the date/time parsing.

Anyway why does this work:
dueBefore:"7 hours of now"

but this doesn't:
dueBefore:"8 hours of now"

I'm a software developer, so I work at a computer all day long, but I only check my personal to-do's in the morning (and sometimes at lunch) - then religiously after work. Anyway, at the start of the day I want to see all of my personal items that are due while I'm at work (i.e. run to post office at lunch). However, I do not want to see my tasks that are due later that night when I'm not working. I tried dueBefore:"8 hours of now" and it does not work, however as I pointed out above that if I change "8 hours" to "7 hours" it does work.

As you can probably tell the point of the search is to find any overdue tasks or tasks due within the next 8 hours. I was hoping for something concise, I thought I could do "dueWithin:"8 hours of now"" but that doesn't work either, and if I change "hours" to "minutes" it gets even wonkier, it appears to treat minutes as days.

All in all, it's very strange. What am I supposed to do when the searches don't handle minutes/hours correctly? Please advise.
Posted at 9:21pm on June 3, 2009
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Maybe you could use an absolute search: dueBefore:"5 pm"?
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Unfortunately, dueWithin currently only works for days or greater (weeks, months). (dueWithin:"48 hours of today" doesn't return the same as dueWithin:"2 days of today".) For anything with hours, an absolute search would have to be done for now.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
@andrewski - might want to fix the problem with "minutes" then, I'd rather a search for dueWithin:"8 minutes" return absolutely nothing as opposed to those items due within 8 months. Are you guys only keying off of the first character?

@rajjan - good suggestion, I didn't want to use an absolute because I always want to see things that would be due within the next X hours, but this will suffice for now. Thanks again!
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.