Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

how to sync with google but not exchange

rockymtnway says:
Hello,

Network Engineer here. Have worked 20 years as a network engineer, so I am what you'd called "reasonably technical", but I am finding understanding exactly how RTM works somewhat mysterious. I think I am over-engineering it.

When I log into RTM from the web and into my account - there seems to be no pointers (this is where I think you'd create links) to either Google Calendar/Tasks, or to Outlook/Exchange. I think how it must work (it's been a while since I installed it now) the link exists only on the PDA's themselves where it is installed (Blackberry, iPhone, etc.).

I used to use a Blackberry, now an iPhone. So on my iPhone I am using RTM to sync my tasks to my Exchange/Outlook.

But I would like to change this so the only task list it syncs is the Google Tasks.

I logged into RTM but of course could find no way to break the link between it and my Exchange server, nor is there any logical link that could be severed between the PDA software and the server. Is there a way to do it?

Again - I only want to sync tasks to Google. Enter them on my iPhone using RTM, but sync them to the backend with Google. I do not want it to read or sync to my Outlook/Exchange.

Thanks for any help!

Posted at 2:00am on June 1, 2009
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi rockymtnway,
I'm not sure I understand your current setup; apologies!

What's currently synchronizing with Google?

And what synchronization method do you have set up between your iPhone and Exchange?
Posted 14 years ago
rockymtnway says:
my iphone syncs with Exchange via the native ActiveSync connector. So I bought RTM primarily because I was looking for something at the time that would sync my Outlook (Exchange) tasks with my (at the time, Blackberry, but now iPhone). This has worked great.

But now I see that RTM aparently syncs with Google Calendar & Tasks. I'd prefer to keep my personal tasks within Google and have RTM sync that way instead of looking to Exchange/Outlook (which is more work centric).

I would think that there should be a pointer within RTM in the web portal where I could set this preference.

My question is - how do I get RTM to stop syncing & looking to my Exchange tasks and look only to Google?

Thanks
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
RTM doesn't synchronize with Google. You can view your tasks in Google products a few different ways: Gmail, Google Calendar, iGoogle. (The links go to RTM's Help pages.)

And RTM doesn't synchronize with Exchange on the iPhone. Unlike the BlackBerry (where MilkSync would synchronize with the BlackBerry Tasks application, which the BlackBerry would then synchronize with Exchange), RTM on the iPhone stands apart from ActiveSync.

Hope this helps! Let me know what else we can do to get your tasks the way you want them. :)
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.