Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Shared Tasks (reminders)

(closed account) says:
i know others have tried to address this issue ( http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/6711/ http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/6008/#forumpost )

but i have some more input to the topic.

i've noticed that when my gf shares tasks with me (and vice versa);
1) the share(er) of the task gets reminders
2) the shared-with does NOT get reminders (this we all know)

if the shared-with goes and "edits" the task (due date, due time)
1) the share-with gets reminders
2) the share(er) does NOT get reminders (seems to make ownership change)

to me it seems like there needs to be an options when sharing tasks;
Sharer Options:
1) shared-with are only viewers (only you have editing rights and/or can delete)
2) shared-with are collaborators (all changes are seen globally)

Shared-With Options:
1) continue sharing options as sharer intended
2) create a copy of the Shared Task and make it personal

and obviously the whole concept of reminders being "global" with everyone shared on task is very important, otherwise what is the point of sharing the task in the first place? if everyone would have to look at their task list on rmilk.com every 5 min to see if there is a new task it doesn't make it very useful.
Posted at 10:26pm on May 15, 2009
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Todd,
Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, this is still on our list to fix.

In the meantime, one thing that may help remedy the situation for the shared-with/sharee is to use the Inbox and/or a search to create a Smart List for anything sent.

Something like "from:todd.egner OR list:Inbox OR list:Shared" would be an example. Then your girlfriend could reset the due date/time for any tasks she wants to "take over" to transfer reminders to her.

I currently have such a list that I use to show all tasks I need my fiancée around to do (mostly wedding decisions/plans :). I also use it to hide those tasks from some of my other, more "urgent" lists, e.g. I don't want to see anything from that Smart List in my "Things I Can Do Quickly" list.

Lastly, if you use one of the services you and/or your girlfriend could check the list when you're ready to work on something and see the available tasks there. For me, aside from reminders themselves, checking my task list regularly is important since I put something on my list precisely because I don't want to have to (or won't be able to ;) remember it.

Hope this helps!
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.