Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Confusion with filters/Smart Views

(closed account) says:
I've been reading through the forums for detailed info and examples on filters and Smart View. Found a couple of excellent posts that have helped a lot. One of the things that confuses me is the use of

and

I can't get incomplete tasks to appear in a list with completed tasks now matter what filter I try. I read somewhere in a post by Emily that this isn't possible. Is that correct? If so, why so many filters with "Status:complete AND xyz"? I can't get filters to apply to completed tasks at all.

For example, I tried a filter with
and all I got was incomplete tasks.

I also tried filters with
xxxx being a lot of different things including tags, priorities and others, and all yielded no tasks.

Can others (particularly Emily) clarify that:
1. There can't be views with both complete and uncompleted tasks.

2. You can't filter incomplete task lists.

If not, what am I doing wrong?
Posted at 5:45pm on May 11, 2009
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hm, not sure what's happening with your searches for incomplete tasks; could you provide some more examples?

For completed tasks, be sure to add the d at the end, i.e. status:completed.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Very strange! I've tried at least 6 or 7 times to get filters to work on completed tasks. Nada. But after I posted yesterday, I decided to try something else - I filtered on "Completed" from the advanced filter field (the one with all the separate boxes for each field) and it worked! So then I thought that you had to filter for "completed" from there. But I tried it from the basic filter box, and it worked there too! Is is possible that doing it from the advanced filter box somehow set or reset something? Anyway, now I can filter "completed" lists. I still can't get mixed (completed and incomplete) lists, and I seem to remember Emily saying that's not possible. Or am I just having another acid flashback to the 60's?
Posted 14 years ago
What's odd is that, for me, "status:completed OR status:incomplete" gives the same results as searching with a blank search box, i.e. all tasks show.

What's your ultimate goal? I assume you're combining the status search terms with some other search terms?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks for your reply.

"What's odd is that, for me, "status:completed OR status:incomplete" gives the same results as searching with a blank search box, i.e. all tasks show. "

Well, yes. All uncompleted tasks show with no filter or with the above mentioned filter. Are you seeing your completed tasks in that list? I'm not.
Posted 14 years ago
sevenupcan says:
Hi cdhsman. I believe you are right that you cannot show completed and incomplete tasks is the same view.

By default smart lists only produces incomplete tasks, however trying to show completed tasks as well; results as only being able to see completed tasks.

Status must work as one or the other, but not both. Unfortunately. :)

Having said this you should still be able to filter incomlete tasks. You don't even need to specify the incompleted part as smart lists display incomplete tasks by default.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks for your prompt reply.

This is good to know. I'm not having any filtering problems at the present, got them all worked out with some help here and by digging into these forums a bit. I've got a system I like very much with 5 regular lists (the usual plus "Someday" , for everything that's on a back burner for one reason or another) and 11 Smart Lists. These include the usual, plus 2 for projects I'm currently working on, a few for time intervals (for when I finish something 20 min before quitting time and need something to do), "Due by Today", everything due or overdue, "Due this week", everything coming up before the weekend, and a "Check" view to check a couple of times a week for untagged, undated, or unprioritzed tasks.

So I'm a pretty happy user right now. It's taken a week, but now I've got it all sorted out. I'm sure I'll refine it from time to time - I've already seen some posts that have given me ideas for improvements, so I'll be tinkering a bit, when I have the time. And back here in the forums asking obnoxious questions. :)
Posted 14 years ago
cdhsman, no such thing as obnoxious questions. :) We all have them! And RTM's so powerful there's a lot going on. I've been using it for almost two years and am always hearing about new ways to do things!
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.