Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Create New Task behavior driving me nuts

marlowe says:
I am a new user to RTM and love it. However, the process of creating a new task is driving me nuts. When I create a new task, I want to be able to specify all the options (tags, due date, etc.) right then and there.

However, when I create the new task, it moves the task to a random place in my list, and I have to scroll down and find it. I know it is selected by default, but I still have to verify it is the only task that is checked. Sometimes it appears that other tasks get checked after I create a new tasks, and I don't want to accidentally change the settings for another task, as has happened in the past.

This is so counterintuitive and frustrating...I use a Stylish script and understand the keystroke shortcuts, but the New Task behavior requires so many additional steps that I am really frustrated.

It seems to me that creating a new task should be easier--it should remain at the top of the list, or there should be a specific place to add new tasks, or something.

Does anyone have suggestions for making this easier? Has RTM been asked to change this? Easy creation of new tasks seems like the hands-down #1 priority for any task-management system.

Thanks!
Posted at 5:07pm on March 19, 2009
steven.veverka says:
good point. As an existing user, I've grown used to this behavior.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
agreed, this is not well implemented.
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
You could start your task entry by pressing "n" (unselects all selected tasks). That way you'll be sure that only the newly added task is selected.
Posted 15 years ago
hansfahlin says:
marlowe,

I understand your frustration, but when you get used to it, it is very quick and efficient to add a new task.

Firstly, you should make sure to be aware of if multi-edit mode is on or off. Keeping it off except when you really need it is a good idea, to minimize the risk of unintentionally changing task settings. If multi-edit is off, you will only change the settings of your current task. Toggle with the {m}-key.

I exclusively use keyboard shortcuts to enter tasks and it is a very quick process:
{t}taskname{enter}{s}a tag{enter}{d}a duedate{enter}...{t}secondtask{enter}{s}anothertag{enter}.....

Rajjan's suggestion is also good. Use {n} liberally if you are concerned about many tasks being selected.

Good luck!
Posted 15 years ago
gui.azurdia says:
That is one of the reasons that people are bitching about this program! All new tasks should go to "Inbox" by default. Once there, the user can edit, tag, list, etc each task. It seems to work on the iPhone. I do not understand why it doesn't work on the desktop. It is also one of the precepts of GTD and this app has been linked to GTD endlessly.

But, as usual, we've all just wasted a few valuable seconds on this because all you will see, if you're lucky, is a post by Krissy saying it has been noted and it will be included in their future updates. Or you will get an angry posting by Emily telling you not to meddle in her business!
Posted 15 years ago
bayridge says:
I see I am not the only one frustrated by trying to figure out how to use this. Don't see much future for this unless they make it easier to figure out quickly. I;m one of those that will only waste a little time trying to use something then it bye-bye.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
@gui.azurdia - When you create a new task in a list, it stays in that list. If you create a new task in an unambiguous smartlist, it stays there and inherits those attributes, and if a new task is created in a smartlist with ambiguous properties, it appears in your default list.

Which of these behaviors do you not see?
Posted 15 years ago
jsellen says:
I second hansfahlin. Using the keyboard shortcuts is the fastest, it's what I do. You're already typing if you're entering a task, so it's natural to just keep typing.

But you need to also keep ranbarton's comment in mind as well. Tasks can disappear if you create them in certain smartlists. So my workflow is:
1. click on list task will live in
2. {t}taskname{enter}{s}a tag{enter}.
3. optionally (rarely) {d}a duedate{enter},etc.
Repeat...click new list if required, if same just {t}secondtask{enter}{s}anothertag{enter}.....

I found that installing this script helped because I couldn't remember the keyboard shortcuts. The script makes them always visible:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/16639
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
i use keyboard shortcuts too. very nice guides, everyone!
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.