Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Please don't leave me out in the cold

trevorthompson57 says:
Dear RTM

I recently became a Pro user with the full intention of dropping Outlook Tasks and making RTM my primary task manager. There were several others here in my office who were thinking of doing the same so we could all share tasks and dump Outlook entirely.

I was voted by the others here in our office to test the waters by signing up as Pro user. However, I encountered a problem immediately when I attempted a one way sync from my device to RTM.

I emailed Pro priority support Mon, 23 Feb 2009 02:51 and received a reply more than 24hrs later from Omar at RTM at Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:10 PM. Omar’s email required a response from me which I sent back a few minutes later (Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:29 PM). It is now four days later (Sat Feb 27, 2009 3.22PM) and I am still awaiting a reply.

I understand RTM is only a small team and doesn’t have the resources of larger organisations but I really think as a Pro user I deserve a little better service than this given RTM says; “we love all you Pro users to bits”

As a result of no further response my RTM my account remains empty of tasks because I am fearful to use it or attempt another sync in case RTM clear my sync history and delete all my tasks as Omar suggested might have to be done in order to fix the problem.

In less than a week I have gone from that feeling of ‘excited expectation’ at using RTM to a feeling of disillusionment and disappointment brought about entirely by the lack of support.

As gui.azurdia quite nicely put it in his/her post dated 12:45pm on February 24, 2009 “my biggest concern is feeling absolutely left in the cold” …So I am obviously not the only Pro user who complains about slow response or no response.

I am still keen to use RTM but I have lost confidence. To regain my confidence all it would take is a response and a couple of questions answered which I wrote in my reply to Omar (Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:29 PM)

I will send a copy of this post to priority support and will keep my fingers crossed that I hear from someone soon.

Kind regards
Trevor

Posted at 4:52am on February 28, 2009
gui.azurdia says:
trevorthompson57

I am sorry you are going through this. Indeed, I felt left out in the cold. Krissy was kind enough to contact me a few days ago when I had already given up on RTM and had moved over to the competition. I took another look at RTM and I am currently using it. I also convinced my brother to drop Outlook tasks as I did as well in order to use RTM.

I used this app for about a year and then I renewed my Pro account just recently after a two month hiatus. I feel there are many functions and features still lacking but right now it is a great choice. I am a firm believer of this. I am a firm believer in customer service. I am a developer myself. No matter how great the app, if there is no support, it's not worth it.

I would suggest two things:

1. Don't give up quite yet.
2. Try to post your problem in these forums. Maybe someone has run into the same issue and can help you.

It may be worth the wait. In the meantime, let me share with you a recent find: an Adobe Air app that runs nicely on your desktop. Get it here http://www.weeatbricks.com/air/

Let's keep in touch

Gui
Posted 15 years ago
trevorthompson57 says:
Hi Gui,

Thanks for your encouragement. No I won't give up on RTM just yet. Indeed, I am feeling much more positive today for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, I notice you responded to my post extremely quickly so it appears these forums are indeed an excellent way of finding answers from the users themselves.

Secondly, at about the same time you responded to my post, an email from Omar landed in my inbox with the information I needed to know. I am just not sure whether his timing was purely a coincidence or whether it was prompted by my post (which I also sent to priority support). Either way, I sincerely thank Omar for his reply.

Although I am still to become 'proper regular user' of RTM it gets my vote for a truly great product...and at the risk of repeating myself, I do understand RTM is not in a position to handle support requests (even from Pro users) super quickly like some larger organisations.

But here again, I totally agree with something else you said in one of your previous posts - I would be happy to pay more to receive better / quicker support - Perhaps RTM should consider introducing levels of membership - a Platinum membership receives support within one working day etc. Just a thought.

I know I should put this next question in a new post but I will ask you here and now anyway. I am a little confused how to back up my tasks. I am aware of the link in the info section but it doesn't seem to work for me (even if I change the prefix in the link). Can you please explain one more time for the dummies (like me).

I would feel much more 'warm and fuzzy' if I knew I could download my RTM tasks into a nice little folder with a file that I can open up in a common application like Excel. The information contained within the tasks I plan to upload and start using is critical to my business such as invoice details (just stuff you don't want to ever lose). Hence my desire to want to keep a nice safe backup on my hard drive.

BTW, haven't yet checked out Adobe Air but will do so over the next day or two.

Thanks again.

Posted 15 years ago
gui.azurdia says:
Hi Trevor,

I am glad to read that you are still on board. I went through a few times where I wanted to say "the heck with it!". Luckily, I am now really into this method since I am applying a Franklin Covey approach. Remember the one ob the A1, A2, etc? I used it on my Day Timer for many years and eve with my Palm. I just can;t seem to get into GTD but that's a different story.

Anyhow, I've noticed that most RTM users are really into Web 2.0. Tha is, online apps for most everything. It is a hassle when internet is not readily accessible yet one way to do it is through iCalendar. It allows access even without internet.

Many members have posted different ways but I feel the most up to date is the one by Emily:

This is what Emily (one of the creators) says:

emily (Remember The Milk) says:

We backup data in realtime to protect against data loss -- we have servers in multiple geographic locations.

By using the iCalendar service, you can keep a local copy of your data too (always handy if you lose your Internet connection :)

Steps to do it through iCal

The default iCalendar export, the 'iCalendar' link, includes all tasks (both with and without due dates). Access it through here:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/icalendar/appleical.rtm.
**********************************************************************************

I hope it helps you.

Cheers
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.