Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Help me love RTM

alisonbr says:
I'm trying! In looking for more help beyond just entering a task. I find a lot of GTD tutes, but GTD doesn't reflect my life very well. Can you point me to other posts/tutorials on creating an RTM structure? I'm an at-home homeschooling mom, btw.

I'd like to input a whole mess of homeschool assignments. If I had them in a text file, could I get them all into RTM in one go? Our schedule is flexible, so they often slip which is why a task manager may be a better bet than a calendar. I'll also create undated tasks for ideas that I come across, sometimes with URLs, that I will schedule at a later point.

I'd like to store a list of meals that I can then assign to the different days of the week.

I'd love to be able to drag tasks around on a calendar so that no one day is overloaded -- that's not possible, right?

I'm sure you can imagine my life -- give me some ideas of how to set up RTM. Currently I have a homeschooling list with tags for each child. The chores thing I haven't figured out yet.

I love the iGoogle RTM gadget. I find it easier to use than the full RTM. Can I filter it to show just homeschooling tasks or chores?

Many thanks for any comments or links!

Alison
Posted at 6:56pm on February 13, 2009
lasse99 says:
maybe this post can give you some ideas http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2008/05/guest-post-advanced-gtd-with-remember-the-milk/

i think the only way is to work with RTM and find your own way, i started with several lists and tags, but now i only have a few...and my structure is perfect for me...but it takes time..

if you have not done so, give the smartlists a look, thats the real power of RTM, you can do almost everything...maybe you should add your children as contacts, unfortunately you have to add a account for them, have a look at locations...

not much for an answer but you have to decide how YOU want it and that is not easy :-), but try to keep it simple at least in the beginning and then do changes..
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Yoy can bulk enter tasks through e-mail, but then they can only be edited within RTM. Aside from smart lists, tags could probably help you a lot.

The meal problem you could solve by having a tag for each day of the week. Assign "monday" for one meal etc and after finishing the meal you delete the tag until the next time you want the same meal. In this case you could use the airline code for days: Monday=D1, Tuesday=D2 etc if you want shorter tags.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.