Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

OH MY DEAR GOD, *HELP!*

(closed account) says:
Yes, I know, overdramatic much?

But I spent a good chunk of time this afternoon moving all of my URLs to the Notes.

And all of the notes have now disappeared. All the URLs have gone. All of 'em are Notes: 0.

What the HELL happened? (Not to sound demanding.)
Posted at 5:54am on February 18, 2006
(closed account) says:
I should clarify: the notes showed up on Firefox as concrete actual notes, saved. I'm now looking at it via Shiira.
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yeah, it's not a browser thing. They're all missing in Mac Firefox, too. !@#$%^&*()!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
Damn it, this means that the URLs are flat-out *lost* if they can't be restored somehow. I may possibly have a backup of this data, but ...
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
Well, first, the above may have appeared overly demanding or rude. If so, I apologize -- but the loss of the URLs associated with each of the various tasks I currently have in RTM, well, their reconstruction would require a semi-substantial time investment. I may have some in a very old backup file from a previous host, but that would be only a partial restore.

I am sincerely hoping, Emily, that you'll be able to restore the notes from whatever bug has zapped them.

If you need to contact me privately, I am at wcitymike at rcn dot com.

The additions of notes were made from my work IP. They were made using Firefox; they did show up as recorded notes, as I saw the timestamp, autolinked URL, and trash can by each respective note.

Quite sincerely hoping they're not gone. But won't fill up this thread anymore -- will get some needed sleep.
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
[For clarification, "semi-substantial time investment" probably means a good hour, or maybe even two, of tracking down the URLs once more.]
Posted 18 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Mike, you should have an email from Omar -- he'll investigate this :)
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
Okay, if Omar's waiting for a reply, I sent him one — I'm up. God, I hope this is salvageable.
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
He wrote me at 12:33 am; I replied when I got up this morning. Still no response. I can understand it being a weekend, but please? This is lost data we're talking about ...
Posted 18 years ago
Mike, I apologise for the delay. We did have this fixed within 24 hours of receiving the information on which tasks it was affecting.

The problem was related to notes being loaded into a Smart List that was also the default list -- they would have been loading fine into the regular list (and the iCalendar and Atom feeds). We have now fixed this issue, and you should see notes in your Smart List.

I also wanted to note that it's impossible for data to be lost once it's saved in Remember The Milk -- all incoming data is logged so that even if for some reason it wasn't processed properly, it can still be recovered. In cases where data appears to be lost, it's most likely a display-related issue.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience -- please let us know if you experience any other problems.
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
I sent private thanks to Emily, along with my apology for sounding as if I was being rude or pushy. It was merely my panic about possible data loss, but I didn't mean to come across like an ass.

As for having a backup of information, I asked Emily if she might consider a total-export feature such as 37Signals' Backpack offers. I am too of a backing up kind of mind -- but things aren't set up here to easily permit cut-and-paste, etc. At the very least, a "print-friendly" mode might be useful for printing out hard copy (or PDFing it, if you're on a Mac) as a backup.
Posted 18 years ago
I completely understand data loss panic :)

I've posted some details on how to do a total export in the other topic.
Posted 18 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.