Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Really slow performance in chrome

jesper.bylund says:
Hi everyone,
do I remember correctly if I thought I saw a post about chrome being officially supported by RTM not long ago?

That's awesome. Lightweight web apps are what chrome is made for.

But there's a problem, RTM's performance slows down dreadfully when I have around 150 tasks in my smart lists in chrome.
The interface performs so slowly that I actually get LAG... That's right, from 0.25 to 0.5 seconds of lag is the worst I've seen of this issue.

Please help.. This makes RTM kind of hard to work with. I love it in FF but I want to keep RTM separate from FF because I need to restart that memory hog at short intervals. Oh, and there is no way in hell I'm using MSIE. I'd rather stop using RTM...

Or eat raw sewage for that matter...

Anyway, thanks RTM team for the great work. I hope you'll find a fix for this problem soon.
Posted at 2:49pm on February 4, 2009
davidscottweaver says:
Have you tried Apple Safari on Windows? I haven't, but I'd read that it's pretty fast.
Posted 15 years ago
jeff.rhine says:
I have some strange activity with Chrome as well.

On my PC at work, RTM on Chrome works flawlessly. At home, RTM on Chrome immediately begins to climb to 500mb+ in the memory before finally crashing.

I'd prefer to use RTM on Chrome, but so far I haven't been able to figure out a solution... including uninstalling/reinstalling chrome/gears/rtm/etc.

- Jeff
Posted 15 years ago
manning999 says:
RTM is slow on Chrome for me too. It might have something to do with the gear component, and that might be tightly integrated into Chrome. I don't really know.

On Firefox 3.1 Beta 2, RTM is fast and snappy. To a lesser extent, I've also used RTM on Safari on my Mac. Fast and snappy there too.
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Please try temporarily disabling permission for RTM from Gears in Chrome (see this status blog post); we're still checking into this issue.
Posted 15 years ago
jeff.rhine says:
Yeah, I tried disabling permissions but no luck :(
Posted 15 years ago
Hi Jeff,

Would it be possible to let me know the version of Chrome that you're using?

Also, which operating system are you on?

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
jeff.rhine says:
I'm currently using version 1.0.154.48.

Though, in the interest of trying everything I can think of, I've also subsicribed to the beta dev channel hoping a "latest release" would work. It didn't :(

I like to approach things in a fairly methodical way when troubleshooting software, but so far my investigations have had no luck. The only thing I really haven't done.... is remove ALL programs from my PC or completely reloading my PC.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to try them.

Oh, I also tried creating a brand new RTM account (with only the seed tasks) and received the same results (500+ mb process then freeze.)

- Jeff
Posted 15 years ago
ardyhar says:
Ditto on slower performance on Chrome compared to Firefox. I have 72 tasks in all. On smart lists, there's a noticeable lag (sometimes upto 2 seconds) on updating a task's tags or due dates.

Chrome version: 1.0.154.36

Posted 15 years ago
krissa.swain says:
Yep - same here; multi-edit and searches are quite slow, but even just switching from the overview to tasks, tasks to settings, etc. is quite a bit slower than it should be.
Posted 15 years ago
tjdupreez says:
Same problem here, performance on Chrome is much worse than in FF. My first assumption was that the data structure used for the list is not optimised, as any list operations (adding a task, selecting etc) would take 4+ seconds. This happens both online and offline. I am running:
- Windows XP SP2
- Chrome 1.0.154.53
- Gears
- on an old laptop (Dell P3, 800mhz, 512mb RAM)

I have yet to find the place where I can disable Google Gears in Chrome, please let me know where one can do this.
Posted 15 years ago
Hi tjdupreez,

I'm not sure how to disable Gears entirely in Chrome, but you can remove the permission for the RTM site.

Details on adjusting the permissions for Gears for individual sites are available here.

Hope this helps!
Posted 15 years ago
michael.a.berman says:
Emily, I've been having the same trouble and I disabled Gears as suggested. RTM is now working quite well with Gears disabled, but I have a question for you. Was it your intent that we keep Gears disabled until you have a fix for the problem, or should we disable and then re-enable right away?

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
Hi Michael,

I'd recommend keeping it disabled for RTM if you experience performance issues in Chrome with it enabled.

Unfortunately it does seem like there are some differences between the way that Gears works in Chrome vs Firefox, which tends to make RTM slower in Chrome with Gears enabled.

We're still investigating this issue to see if we can resolve this and improve the speed of RTM with Gears in Chrome.
Posted 15 years ago
michael.a.berman says:
OK, thanks.

It's been working great in Chrome with Gears disabled, and I use Firefox when I'm offline.
Posted 15 years ago
nyee says:
I get a similar issue, where most of the RTM site loads quickly, and then there's a long delay or pause, after which I can use the site or I get an "Oh, snap" out-of-memory error in Chrome. I've removed the Gears permission for RTM and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is this still being looked into?
Posted 14 years ago
Hi nyee,

We've submitted a report to Google about some of the issues with Gears we've found that are causing slowness. As soon as we have an update, we'll post here and on the status blog.
Posted 14 years ago
dewi says:
I am also experiencing this problem in the current Chrome beta and stable versions, with all Gears requests denied.

The site hangs when loading the lists, and sometimes if I wait, Chrome kills the process because of "excessive javascript memory use".

For the record, I do have some pretty long lists. I have used Chrome with RTM in the past... maybe my lists got a bit too long?
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
dewi (or any others experiencing problems with Gears disabled),
If you haven't done so already, would it be possible to submit a Logging In & Loading issue report via our support system?

Please select the issue that you're experiencing from the list on the left, and follow the steps shown. If your issue isn't listed, just click on "I'd like to report a new issue" on the left.

Your report should provide all the info that we need to investigate further, but we'll be in touch via email if we require any more details.

Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
dewi says:
Not sure if you guys have done anything, but today I tried RTM in Chrome again, and it works!

No startup delay at all; really snappy. I will try it from my other workstations presently.
Posted 14 years ago
dewi says:
*Positive identification of problem*

I found today that my seemingly identical Chrome instances were consistently behaving differently with respect to this problem.

Eventually I found the difference: Privoxy.

Regardless of Chrome version, cachedness, Gears, or HTTPS, with Privoxy configured as my proxy, the site JavaScript would go into a loop and consume a lot of memory, with the site left unresponsive.

To others experiencing this problem, please check your proxy settings. I don't know if any other proxies are affected.
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
dewi, good point; proxies will often cause connections problems, including with RTM. Thanks for posting those details. :)
Posted 14 years ago
dishbreak says:
I agree with dewi. Tried messing around with Privoxy, but when I disabled it, RTM worked like a champ. Guess we can't have everything...
Posted 14 years ago
tzortea says:
As a work-around, I simply disable Privoxy when I open an RTM tab in Chrome, then re-enable Privoxy after RTM is loaded. RTM seems to work fine with Privoxy enabled as long as it was disabled for the initial load.

I tried to use the {fragile} alias in Privoxy's user.actions for RTM, but that didn't seem to do it.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I've just switched over to using Chrome and I can't get RTM to work at all. It hangs every single time. I've already disabled Gears and I don't have any proxies, but it's still not working. Any more suggestions?
Posted 14 years ago
deuts says:
Ditto here. I just can't simply open rtm in google chrome. I've tried denying gears, to no avail. It reached 300MB in CPU usage while opening the site.
Posted 14 years ago
cperry says:
I was having this same problem with Chrome and was able to verify that it's an issue with Privoxy. You can fix the issue by updating your proxy settings to bypass Privoxy for RTM. To do this:

1) Go to your proxy settings (Wrench thing -> Options -> Under the Hood -> Network)
2) Click 'LAN Settings'
3) Click 'Advanced' under the 'Proxy server' section
4) Add "rememberthemilk" (no quotes) to you Exceptions list

Chrome should work like a charm after that, and ad-blocking will still work also. Unless RTM start throwing ads all over the place =)

Note: These instructions are for Windows XP, but the same idea can be used anywhere.

--Chris
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.