Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

No longer creating task from starred mail

vinthomas says:
My list shows up, but I am no longer able to create/complete tasks by starring. Any suggestions?
Posted at 6:26am on February 1, 2009
maseratij says:
There are some issues that others had in the past but not me. Now I am experiencing the same problems.

Check here

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/gmail/3636/

and here

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/gmail/6286/

but the advise from RTM is generally to create a support ticket
here

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/contact/support/?ctx=gmail
Posted 15 years ago
uncletoddy says:
Having the same problem since yesterday. I'm posting a support ticket as suggested.
Posted 15 years ago
arvid says:
Thanks uncletoddy, I have just replied to your message. In that way we can investigate more.

Posted 15 years ago
philiphart says:
I also can't create tasks by starring/tagging and there is no 'Create Task' option in the pull down list.

Posted 15 years ago
mcouture says:
I also can't create tasks by starring/tagging and there is no 'Create Task' option in the pull down list.
alert(RTM.GmailAPI.getGlobal('JS_VERSION')) returns JP3Bof4k2fw

Occurring with Windows 7 / Firefox 3.0.5 and Windows XP SP2 / Firefox 2.0.0.20
Posted 15 years ago
harryldanieliii says:
same here
Posted 15 years ago
banzai says:
Starring isn't creating tasks for me, either. If opening another support ticket is helpful, I'll do that—this helps me realize how much I rely on that feature!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Same problem here!
Posted 15 years ago
flasi says:
I have the same problem...
Posted 15 years ago
ben.goodsell says:
same
Posted 15 years ago
uncletoddy says:
banzai, I know what you mean! I've come to use this feature often. By the way, I did reply to Arvid's request for more information, but I haven't heard anything yet and the feature is still dead for now. Hopefully they'll get it fixed sooner than later.
Posted 15 years ago
balaji.pasumarthy says:
Feature not working for nearly 30 hrs. Creating tasks with stars is what makes RTM so productive for me. Feeling at loss right now with my gmail inbox swelling with email I wanted to create as tasks. Hope this gets rectified soon.
Posted 15 years ago
matthew.warneford says:
Same here - broken since the weekend.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I wonder what's going on. The RTM gang is usually more responsive than this. I filed a support ticket yesterday.
Posted 15 years ago
albert.tollkuci says:
same problem
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yeah, this should be pretty easy to duplicate. For me, this problem occurred as soon as Offline Gmail was added to labs. I was assuming that Google made code changes that RTM would address.
Posted 15 years ago
alessm says:
same problem!
Posted 15 years ago
jstraw says:
same here - re-installed and checked it's US english.

Most valuable element of RTM!
Posted 15 years ago
vinthomas says:
I wonder why RTM is not even addressing the issue? Obviously tons of users are experiencing this. I was about to go pro, but if I can't have Gmail integration, I might have to go back to todoist (tell me it isn't so). This is ESSENTIAL to my workflow.
Posted 15 years ago
wahid.ullah says:
Same here. Can someone from the support team responds to the issue please??
Posted 15 years ago
jebworks says:
This is the latest in a series of breaks of the RTM GMail feature which I, like everyone else here it seems, am relying on as a great feature. I've had the same issue in the past when the Create task feature disappeared from the pulldown menu and usually came back pretty quickly. Now the auto label or star function is down.

With the Task integration in Gmail it seems the downtime lasts longer. I don't know what might have caused it in my case, as I didn't add any new extensions and also tried FF in safe mode with only RTM enabled so it can't be interference by another one.

I'm using the latest version of FF 3.0.5 and all add-ons are updated to the latest version. Mac OS 10.5.6

Hope the guys can bring this back soon.
Posted 15 years ago
saitadam says:
I have the same problem
Posted 15 years ago
benjanssen says:
Please, o please, will someone from support respond? It just makes us feel better to know that you are working on it and not ignoring us. I thought this was the purpose of the status blog, which hasn't been updated since Feb 1. If it weren't for the "star" feature, I would not really be all that interested in RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
wahid.ullah says:
This is what they call priority respond to the Pro users?
Posted 15 years ago
kateoneill says:
Same issue. Same timeframe. Same mounting inbox as I have been relying on the integration to help me keep inbox down. Ugh.

RTM team? Any update at all?
Posted 15 years ago
vinthomas says:
I agree with kateoneill. I am not very motivated to go pro if even they don't get a response. Several people have submitted tickets, and to my knowledge it doesn't look like anyone is being answered. I don't know if this is a result of some of the new features Gmail has rolled out in the last 24 hours or what. But a simple explanation would be nice -- and frankly owed to those who paid to go pro.
Posted 15 years ago
cristo says:
Same problem for me.
Posted 15 years ago
klaas.naaijkens says:
Same problem here
Posted 15 years ago
nickeblewis says:
I am getting the same problem and I suspect it may have something to do with the new integration features that Google have rolled out for Gmail for their own Tasks gadget. Gmail changed around 2 days ago from what I can see.
Posted 15 years ago
rachelnunson says:
I'm also getting that problem. I wonder if it has to do with the new drop-down menus that I'm seeing at the top of my Google Apps interface? (The ones for Move to... and Labels...)
Posted 15 years ago
gmanriquez says:
Does RTM have a "System Status" page to indicate what features they currently know are not available? That might help.

My understanding is that Google does not give advanced warning when they change things, and if they change things and your "mashup" breaks, then your only option is to set a timer and see how long it takes for you to "fix" your app and conform to the new Goog.
Posted 15 years ago
maseratij says:
Does my Gmail interface completely change this morning? Are there now two buttons a "move" to and "labels"?
Posted 15 years ago
josefin.deiving says:
I have the same problem and have had it for two days now - Its making me crazy - I have done everything in the Troubleshooting - frame.
Posted 15 years ago
maseratij says:
Lots of Changes at GMail

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/new-ways-to-label-with-move-to-and-auto.html
Posted 15 years ago
kateandsteve says:
Developer Please say something. Just paid for PRO and feel a bit miffed!
Posted 15 years ago
gbeaudry says:
I have the same problem and have had it for two days now - Its making me crazy - I have done everything in the Troubleshooting - frame.
Posted 15 years ago
ben.goodsell says:
You guys, I'm using Gmail Tasks until they figure this thing out. Sucks about the sync though... but just enable shortcuts & press ctrl k. make sure your in the right list & then press shift t. really simple... then i just add important tasks manually to RTM for sync.
Posted 15 years ago
mitchh says:
in the same boat. Just piling on in hopes that RTM will notice and comment.
Posted 15 years ago
saitadam says:
I was just going to buy pro but when there doesn't seem to be any answers, I'm not sure if I should. What do you guys think? Is RTM going under or something?
Posted 15 years ago
puntofocal says:
I have the same problem and have had it for two days now
Posted 15 years ago
rusharound says:
I think the new changes to Gmail really through RTM for a loop. It hasn't gone down for this long in awhile.
Posted 15 years ago
balaji.pasumarthy says:
Hope this gets fixed soon.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
same problem, no "create task in more actions", no task creation with starring or tagging
Posted 15 years ago
vishalgondal says:
rtm sucks!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yeah! One thing went wrong in an extension for a webapp that is still in beta and is continuously changing their code.

I can't believe I paid for such an inferior service...you guys can't even hire clairvoyant developers!

Seriously though, I think most people just want some kind of status update...you always respond so quickly that we've become spoiled and impatient.
Posted 15 years ago
mlkramer says:
plus you need to write and excuse note for my boss why nuthing got done;)
Posted 15 years ago
julia.rs says:
I'm useless without RTM in gmail!
Posted 15 years ago
vinthomas says:
I agree with you all. Without the gmail feature, RTM is no better than all the others. I have sent 2 ticket requests and waited about a week for ANY kind of response from RTM. I do understand that this service is free (for some) and in BETA, but it would be nice to have even a simple reply. "We're looking into it" would be enough. But NOTHING? C'mon?!

I have imported all my tasks to toodledo and really like their iphone interface. Sure the UI isn't as pretty, but at least they reply to their users.

Sorry RTM, this looks like the end of the road for us...at least for now.
Posted 15 years ago
saitadam says:
If i don't hear some response by the end of the day, I'll be deleting my accounts. My tasks are too important to be trusted to a company without any customer support when things go bad.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
The RTM extension for Gmail relies on Google's code, which changes. RTM is not given advance notice of these changes, and thus can only react to the changes after they have been launched. For the non-Pro members to pitch such a fit is, in my humble opinion, simply ridiculous. I am far more sympathetic to the Pro users, who reasonably expect some sort of update from Bob et al., but really for the free users, go crazy and add the iGoogle gadget to Gmail and stop whining for the week or so it will take to fix.
Posted 15 years ago
saitadam says:
I've only had Remember the Milk for a week or so. I've got no problem going pro and I was about to until I realised it doesn't work properly. I'm pissed because I spent 4 hours copying all my tasks and other team members tasks into this program and now it doesn't work. That's ok though, just at least give me some kind of response. I've put in a ticket and heard absolutely nothing back.

This seems like an awesome program but I need stability. Does this happen often?
Posted 15 years ago
vinthomas says:
@ranbarton

The fact that I am a using this free version does not mean that RTM should ignore me? That is a real quick not to gain me as a pro user.

Again, I am not saying "fix this immediately or I walk". It would just be nice to have some sort of response to the COMMUNITY (pro and free) instead of being ignored.
Posted 15 years ago
balaji.pasumarthy says:
Since we are cribbing, here is my crib on gmail.... they should make it easier for services like RTM to integrate with gmail, not more difficult and unpredictable. Services like RTM make gmail better as well, and is the reason why I prefer to use gmail, so it is a two way street.

Would certainly like to know whats happening at RTM for this problem, the uncertainty is painful.

Also shows how important RTM - gmail integration is for each of us.

Posted 15 years ago
cristo says:
An new and interesting competitor : www.manymoon.com
Posted 15 years ago
cristo says:
(and I have nothing to do with them)
Posted 15 years ago
albert.tollkuci says:
Unbelievable that no one from RTM is giving any answer here...that's fucking bad bad support
Posted 15 years ago
remixer96 says:
To the devs: Hope you guys are on this and working on a fix. You've got many of us hooked into RTM by making it an top-quality product. When the seamlessness that makes it so powerful goes down, I think some people tend to lose their heads. Best of luck repairing everything. I know I'm very much looking forward to it.
Posted 15 years ago
rusharound says:
@Remixer96 Well said.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Since this problem still isn't fixed and since no on from RTM cares to comment, I switched to Gmail Tasks (in Labs).

It works really well for me. "shift-T" is similar to creating tasks from starred email. And it has perfect (and free) iPhone integration as well.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/tasks-paper-vs-iphone.html
Posted 15 years ago
vinthomas says:
I switched to toodledo, and have been using it for the last 2 days. It actually is really great. There are a few things I miss about RTM like the abundance of keyboard shortcuts and Gmail integration, but since gmail integration doesn't exist anymore, I can sacrifice the shortcuts.

With toodledo you also have a context field, status field (next action, waiting, etc), and my favorite -- subtasks! Their iphone page is pretty slick and comes with the free account. So I am sold 100%. I don't know if I would come back to RTM even if they got the gmail thing worked out.

PS. They are VERY quick to respond on the forums (within minutes).
Posted 15 years ago
graywolf says:
As a pro member who expires in March I have to say this is really pretty awful.

How long would it take to come by and say "hey we are aware of the issue and are working on it"

After nearly a week nobody comes by and says a word, not a good sign.
Posted 15 years ago
alexisa says:
It is a shame RTM is not providing its paid-user with a status page. I am also considering switching to Gmail Tasks given RTM unresponsiveness.
Posted 15 years ago
brady747 says:
Wow. I was just about to sign up for pro and stumbled upon this. Time to wait and see what happens.
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
As some of you are no doubt aware, when Google rolls out new version of Gmail's code, we need to re-code our extension to accommodate the new code (otherwise features such as creating tasks from starred emails stop working).

The extension can usually be re-coded in a matter of hours (with minimal disruption for RTM users relying on this feature), however, this week Google has been rolling out significant changes to how Gmail's code works. For example, they've completely overhauled the menu buttons and their code (including "More actions", which we integrate with for these features).

Our engineers are working as quickly as they can to get this integration up and running again; as mentioned by others above, we receive no advance notice from Google about their code changes. I apologise for the delay; unfortunately this time it's a fairly significant amount of work required to re-code the extension.

I'll post again here as well as on the status blog once we're done. Thanks for your patience!
Posted 15 years ago
brady747 says:
Thanks for the update Emily!!! I think we all assumed this was the case, but it is always good to hear the issue has been noticed and is being addressed.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Happy coding! I'm very anxious for it to be up and running again. I only recently came back to RTM - the FF Gmail extension being the biggest motivator. I moved my work email accounts to Gmail and so plan on making heavy use of the Gmail integration.

Thanks for the update!
Posted 15 years ago
Should now be fixed. :)

Just to reiterate, Google rolled out a new version of Gmail’s code (again), and their code changes can affect parts of RTM for Gmail’s functionality. We’ve now updated the feature to use the new code (you may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn’t fix it).

We've set up a new status page to keep track of all the different versions of Gmail's code (and whether or not we're supporting them yet). If you encounter issues with this feature in the future, please check this page to find out if your Gmail version is supported, and how to let us know if it's not supported yet.
Posted 15 years ago
balaji.pasumarthy says:
Works now. Thanks. Am back to being my productive best. Thanks to RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
mcouture says:
Thanks, starring and manual create work now. RTM still doesn't create tasks when I label emails. I've submitted a new report.
Posted 15 years ago
Hi mcouture,

This issue should be fixed now, too (I've noted this on the status page).

Please let me know if you experience any further problems.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
mcouture says:
Awesome, it works now!

Thanks for the quick response!!
Posted 15 years ago
tylerchill says:
"You are currently using Gmail version "6JKwbxQ1y0k".
This version is unsupported by Remember The Milk for Gmail."

It worked yesterday - is this a new gmail version again?

Posted 15 years ago
Hi tylerchill,

It very well could be. :( Unfortunately we're not seeing this version in any of our Gmail test accounts just yet (we're not able to update our code for new versions of Gmail until we're able to access them, and sometimes Google makes new versions available to a small number of users first for testing).

Can I just confirm that you're using the US English version of Gmail?

Also, are you using Gmail with Google Apps?

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
Version "6JKwbxQ1y0k" of Gmail's code is now supported too (noted on the status page). Thanks to everyone who reported this!
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.