Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

using URL task field to open local file in external application

krysta says:
Multi-part problem I haven't been able to solve satisfactorily. . . I'm trying to use the URL task field to refer to a local file (a word doc), and then open that file in Microsoft Word on a click; I can get Firefox to open links to word docs in Microsoft Word, but when I click on this link, nothing at all happens. I've looked at all the help postings on this, and nobody seems to be able to get a non-http: protocol to open (other than right-clicking--which doesn't give the external application options I want). Am I doing something wrong?

(I've installed the locallink add-on for Firefox, but that doesn't seem to help when attempting to use an external application.)
Posted at 5:21pm on January 12, 2009
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
I get this to work every day, installing locallink is necessary. I use a URL like this:
file:///H:/Shortcuts%20RTM/Flextid.xls (%20 is a blank)

Do you get this when right-clicking the URL?

Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Forgot the end:
And then you click Open Link in Local Context, and after that "in New Tab".
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
also, I think you can link to a file in Google Docs if you want an additional workaround.
Cheers,
Victor
Posted 15 years ago
krysta says:
Gottit! I had thought open in new tab would just open the doc in a new Firefox tab. Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.