Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

iPhone Syncing...

mikbau says:
Hi all
I apologize if this has been posted before - I've seen similar posts, but nothing quite the same

I noticed an issue today when I was using the iPhone app - when I mark a task as completed or incomplete (status change) and exit the app, the icon on the iPhone shows the correct number of open apps - however, in the web app, and in the google gadget, the status did not change - even after refreshing these (but not the iPhone app)

When I went back in to the iPhone app, the sync occurred, and the other apps updated when refresh...does the sync not happen when you leave the app?

Thanks
Mike
Posted at 11:31pm on January 8, 2009
russ.goerend says:
the iPhone OS does not let 3rd party apps run in the background. So no, the sync does not happen when you leave the app.
Posted 15 years ago
v.vecchio says:
Hi,

I have been using the iphone app for some time.
I've noticed that new tasks created on the iphone do not get updated on the web app, unless I refresh the page on the iphone.
Sometimes I also have to exit the iphone app and re-open it in order to have the web app updated.
Posted 15 years ago
srtech says:
To manually sync the iPhone app when it is open, touch the circular arrow icon in the lower left hand corner.
Posted 15 years ago
zicklepop says:
That doesn't fix it. I just wrote an email to them with this issue.
Posted 15 years ago
arvid says:
zicklepop, I just replied to your email but the issue was described different from what is noted here.

To the rest; indeed the application will not sync when you close the application. Apple only allows us 5(!) seconds to close the app gracefully, otherwise the OS will terminate the application. This will not leave us enough room to perform a sync.

When you open the app a sync is done and there will be an auto sync during the time when the app is open. This will happen every 5 minutes.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately we have to live with the rules that Apple puts up otherwise the app is not allowed in the app store.
Posted 15 years ago
zicklepop says:
Ah felt similar! Appologies, and thanks for helping me.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I am on the same boat, but it is not syncing iPhone entries to web, I tried launching and exiting app.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I got it to work after I relaunched RTM on iPhone... seems a bit flaky cause i did this before...
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
For anyone still experiencing any syncing issues, would it be possible to submit an iPhone & iPod touch app issue report via our support system? We're not aware of any current syncing issues, so would like to investigate further.

Please select the issue that you're experiencing from the list on the left, and follow the steps shown. If your issue isn't listed, just click on "I'd like to report a new issue" on the left.

Your report should provide all the info that we need to investigate further, but we'll be in touch via email if we require any more details.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
lubosek says:
Hi, emily,
the manual sync works fine for me, thanks!
But if there is only 5 seconds for sync before closing the application, isn't this more of a design issue? Why the app doesn't behave more statelessly or web-like, i.e. sending data following every user update? In some reasonable granularity, of course... I mean, not after every property edit, but e.g. when editing a task is finished. Are there some other obstacles for this solution?

Just curious ;-)

Best regards
Lubosek
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.