Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

[bug] Delete multiple tasks

andrei.marin says:
I am not sure if this is a bug or feature. I would expect that multiple tasks are deleted only if I am in multi-edit mode.

Imagine I have a long list of tasks, which does not fit to one screen. If you are in single-edit mode you do not see that multiple tasks are selected. You press del and more task than intended are gone.

It happens too often that I delete tasks by mistake, just because they remained selected from a previous action. And this comes down to trust - I have started to wonder if there is any task that I missed because I have deleted it by mistake.

I hope you will fix this in a next release.
Malone
Posted at 9:44am on January 21, 2008
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Sorry for the delay in responding -- any 'actions' (e.g. complete, postpone, delete, move to a different list, etc) apply to any selected tasks (whether multi-edit mode is turned on or not). The multi-edit mode only affects changes to 'properties' (any details in the task details box on the right, such as due date). Hope this helps.
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Emily - this is the clearest semantic description I have seen to explain how these two apparently different behaviors can occur.

Having said that, it's also pretty clear that the Multi Edit feature, added 5-6 months after launch (http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2006/03/edit-multiple-tasks-and-more.html) has never been fully integrated into the original UI, leading to this confusion and data loss for a non-trivial number of users.

I think the time has come to address this, and remove the distinction between actions and properties, so that Multi-Edit has to be explicitly turned on to alter multiple tasks and in the absence of that, no action will be performed on multiple tasks.

Any situation which leads to data loss, even if it is user error, will lead to bad word of mouth and undermine your efforts to instill trust among your users.

Anyway, my $0.02 on the topic.
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.