Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

rtm on twitter not following? direct message not working?

cjohansson says:
I've followed rtm on twitter and it looks like rtm has followed me, when I send the confirmation code through the web nothing happens. It does say the message is sent but it doesn't register in the history (the message count doesn't go up and nothing gets put in the sent list).

When I sms the code I get a reply saying rtm doesn't follow me.

I've sent direct messages to others through my twitter account and it worked.

Where's the problem?
Posted at 5:33pm on January 19, 2008
ienjoyhotsoup says:
same problem. what's up?
Posted 16 years ago
qt711 says:
Exact same thing is happening to me this morning
Posted 16 years ago
kleinfelter says:
Ditto for me. (I posted account names and confirmation code via the RTM feedback page.)

It is helpful to know that others are having the problem, so I can quit trying over and over.
Posted 16 years ago
bcaoyonan says:
Was able to 'd rtm' perfectly - up until 2 days ago. it just stopped working and has not worked since. sent a message to support but still waiting for a reply. i love this app but its becoming painful
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We've gotten in touch with the Twitter folks regarding this issue -- unfortunately it doesn't look like direct messages make it through to our side if Twitter thinks rtm isn't following you (even when the Twitter website indicates that rtm is following you).

I'll post as soon as we have an update.
Posted 16 years ago
We have an update from Twitter, who are currently working to resolve these issues with messages -- hopefully they should have this fixed within a day or two.
Posted 16 years ago
bcaoyonan says:
Good to hear. thanks emily
Posted 16 years ago
noumenontruth says:
I'm still having this same problem even though it's been a few days since you (emily) last posted that twitter was looking into this.

I'm not that impatient of a person but, just wondering if I am the only one who is still having this problem, or if everybody is still having trouble here.

Thanks,

--Tony
Posted 16 years ago
d0t says:
I'm still having the same problem as everyone else. Looking forward to an update.

Thanks for taking care of us, Emily!
Posted 16 years ago
We've contacted the Twitter folks again -- fingers crossed this will be resolved soon.
Posted 16 years ago
cjohansson says:
Still not working for me either.
Posted 16 years ago
noumenontruth says:
I don't know much about the problem, so at the expense of possibly sounding ignorant: Is it possible that this isn't a problem with twitter?

I know that applications like timer (http://twitter.com/timer) have many users following/being followed and perform similar actions but seem to work OK.

Don't get me wrong, RTM is awesome! And the support team does a great job (fixed the G-Mail compatibility problem in record time). Just thought I'd offer the suggestion.

--Tony
Posted 16 years ago
I wish we were able to fix this from our end :) As posted above, the Twitter folks have acknowledged the issue and we're waiting on a fix.

If you receive a Twitter error message of "rtm does not follow you. Send 'follow rtm' to request." when sending a direct message to rtm, Twitter does not send your message over to our side. (Theoretically this should never happen, as Twitter has set up rtm as an auto-friending/following bot.)

Twitter's friending/messaging systems are out of our control, so we have to wait patiently for them to resolve this :)
Posted 16 years ago
noumenontruth says:
I see. Well, no problem :). We'll just wait it out then.

I've made a task to "Check on the twitter rtm bot problem" so I'll just keep the reminder and postpone it daily until things work out :). See, the program can be quite useful even without twitter!
Posted 16 years ago
mileszs says:
Man, am I glad I found this thread. My head hurts from pounding it against the cubicle wall.

As of today, I am still having this issue. Twitter is, obviously, having even bigger issues, what with leaving Joyent and their application's performance actually getting worse.

Thank you all for this thread.
Posted 16 years ago
cjohansson says:
yeah still nothing for me either yet. I sent a bug report to twitter some time ago, they replied back saying they'd fixed it and that it was a cache problem with my account and rtm. I sent one direct message, through the web, after that it went through (seemingly) but with no response from rtm. The next message didn't go through.

So there's definitely an issue on their side and they don't seem to be able to address it very well.
Posted 16 years ago
rossgoodman says:
Seems to work for me. I just tested it using the web interface, I don't have my phone handy to test the SMS.

Ross
http://www.RossGoodman.com
Posted 16 years ago
noumenontruth says:
I tried clearing my cache, and unfriending and refriending rtm, but I've had no luck. It always gives me the rtm does not follow you message.

I've tried both with the firefox web interface and through the twhirl 3rd party app. No luck on either, although they give me different error messages (twhirl simply states: "Send message failed").

I've also reported the bug to twitter twice but, unlike cjohansson, I have not received any reply at all from twitter. Not sure what is going on but....if they think they fixed the problem they must be wrong unless I'm doing something very wrong.

Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone at rtm know if twitter claims to have fixed this? How many people does it work for?

Man...it'd be sweet to have this feature! I hate to see it go to waste day after day :).

Any suggestions or help are greatly appreciated, thanks for your time,

--Tony
Posted 16 years ago
Tony, we're still waiting on Twitter, unfortunately :(

I believe that the issue is affecting some users who have been trying to set up with Twitter since the issue started occurring (if you were already set up before it started happening, it shouldn't affect your account, although we've heard of a couple of cases where it has). I'm not sure exactly how many people are affected, but we're hoping that Twitter will have this fixed soon!
Posted 16 years ago
soham.sen says:
Everything had been working great for me up until a week or so ago too :( Hopefully those guys at Twitter will get on it!
Posted 16 years ago
Twitter have told us that they're still working to hunt down some issues on their end (they've also posted on their blog today). Hopefully this means a fix is close :)
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Still not working for me: hope Twitter is able to get on the ball soon!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yea, I've just tried to set this up. I had used RTM once before, but got slack about it, and now I'm trying to stay on top of things. The main way I can do that is by being able to add items anywhere I am. I currently use the RTM&Gmail solution (which I LOVE), and I also use Jott on my cellphone, for times when I can speak aloud. I want to use Twitter so that I can also text my to do's. Are there any other services that offer this ability?

I hope they fix it soon. Thanks for always being so on top of it, Emily!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
oh yes, I forgot to mention that I've also tried adding an item, through Twitter to RTM using Google Chat from within Gmail (wow, that's a mouthful), and received the same "rtm does not follow you" message.

Annoying.
Posted 16 years ago
niftyken says:
Yup, not working today. Really should've checked here first. Sigh.
Posted 16 years ago
wendy.torenvliet says:
Ahhh ok - I was wondering why the setup didn't work. Oh well, I'll wait :D
Posted 16 years ago
mark.wiley says:
Really, this is incredible. It just doesn't seem that Twitter is taking this seriously, and it doesn't seem that RTM is fighting hard enough, no updates on this since the 8th?

Is RTM investigating other IM options for us?
Posted 16 years ago
I'll post any updates as I receive them from Twitter -- they've told us they're working to fix these issues on their end. From their blog post today, it looks like they're still working to resolve the issues they're experiencing.

As I said previously, Twitter's friending/messaging systems are out of our control, so we have to wait patiently for them to resolve this -- all we can is make sure that they're aware of the problems that RTM users are experiencing (which I can assure you we've done -- they're probably sick of hearing from us by now :)

We're big fans of Twitter and have had very few issues with our integration since we launched it in July last year up until now, so we're hopeful that they'll have everything running smoothly again soon.
Posted 16 years ago
bleivian says:
I'm also glad I found this thread. I stopped using RTM just because every time I needed to add a to-do item or reminder, a computer wasn't in sight. I was so excited to discover the twitter service because now I will be able to sms my tasks! However, like you said, RTM is at the mercy of twitter now. Perhaps RTM should consider making their own way to sms tasks? I use the sms add feature on my gcal all the time and I love it! SMS is the simplest of simple and I think that's what I takes to get users like myself into using a service like RTM, gcal, twitter, etc.
Posted 16 years ago
jemerick says:
Just an idea, that may or may not be possible depending on the problem on twitter's side, but can you login as RTM on twitter and manually follow all of the users that are following RTM but RTM is not following? I realize this may be a daunting task with the number of people that you would have to manually follow, but this may be a stop gap measure until twitter resolves the issue. I don't really user RTM via twitter but just thought I would toss that idea out there. As you mentioned, I know the Twitter guys are pretty busy hunting down some other issues with the recent infrastructure move.
Posted 16 years ago
inkedmn says:
I know you can follow/unfollow users via the API (since so many twitter client apps do it). Seems like it'd be fairly simple to write a quick hack to follow everybody who wants to be followed.

The only major PitA would be collecting a list of everybody who wants to be followed - not sure that could be done programmatically (though, I haven't looked).
Posted 16 years ago
Unfortunately adding the relationships manually or via the API doesn't work either :( Believe me, if there was any way that we could work around the issue (even it involved manually adding everyone), we'd be doing it :) We're very disappointed that a lot of RTM users are having trouble with this, too.

The problem still happens when, according to Twitter, an individual user and rtm are already following each other. Twitter just doesn't recognise the existing relationship, and is therefore rejecting direct messages from the user to rtm. There's no way to force Twitter to realise that the relationship exists, which leads to this frustrating scenario:

User: d rtm pick up the milk
Twitter: rtm does not follow you. Send 'follow rtm' to request.
User: follow rtm
Twitter: You'll receive a message every time rtm updates. To silence, send 'off rtm'. For more commands, send 'help'.

[User checks the Twitter website. The website shows that the user is following rtm, and that rtm is following the user too.]

User: d rtm pick up the milk
Twitter: rtm does not follow you. Send 'follow rtm' to request.

... and repeat :)

We're still hassling the Twitter folks about it, and I'll post as soon as I have an update.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
As many people have stated before, I'm glad that I'm not alone... It's a know issue... whew.
I'd love the ability to text task to my todo list.

sigh, waiting....
Posted 16 years ago
Update from the Twitter folks: they're still working on it. Sorry, nothing else to report right now :(
Posted 16 years ago
noumenontruth says:
Works for me now - finally twitter got with the program! So nice not to see the old "rtm does not follow you...." message :D.

Hopefully it's working for other people too. Thanks to the rtm guys for bothering twitter enough to get this done.....love this feature!

--Tony
Posted 16 years ago
michaelcaruso says:
I just stopped following RTM and then re-clicked "follow." Now, I am following RTM and RTM automatically started following me! I direct messaged that custom code that I was given and all seems to work!

I suggest everyone to give it a shot, this wasn't working yesterday for me, but now it appears to work.

Thanks for the heads up Tony!
Posted 16 years ago
bleivian says:
It's working for me. This is nice.
Posted 16 years ago
I don't have final confirmation from the Twitter folks yet, but it does appear to be working again -- yay! :)
Posted 16 years ago
dfego says:
I hate to say it, but I'm still getting the same ol' thing... I went ahead and un-followed, blocked, re-followed, etc, and it's still going through the same loop... :(
Posted 16 years ago
dfego, thanks for letting us know -- I guess we'll have to wait a little longer then, but it's good to hear that it's at least started working for some people now.
Posted 16 years ago
mdodman says:
Worked for me. Thanks for the attention to this.
Posted 16 years ago
mdodman says:
well, it worked for a while. But now back to the same problem.
Posted 16 years ago
Doh, guess they're still working on it...
Posted 16 years ago
noumenontruth says:
Yea, stopped working for me too. Hehe, oh well.....was nice while it lasted :-P. At least this means hopefully they're very close to fixing it for real.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
let's hope. *crosses fingers*
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I 'unfriended' rtm and then sent follow rtm. no error! then i sent my confirmation code 'd rtm confirmation code", still no error...
but i still get errors when trying to add a task: d rtm sleep
gets me an 'rtm does not follow you' message still...
grrr...
Posted 16 years ago
robboedwards says:
Could do with some of this text message action, still can't get it to fire. Any updates?!?!?!?
Posted 16 years ago
cintra says:
Why rely on another service to post your tasks!

Using http://m.rememberthemilk.com/add works immediately. make it the home page on your mobile and you don't have to fiddle around in order to add a task..
Posted 16 years ago
dfego says:
For those of us who don't have data plans and only have access through SMS ;-)
Posted 16 years ago
cintra says:
Ah yes sorry, I keep away from sms as much as possible and wasn't aware of that Twitter possibility.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
still no news?
Posted 16 years ago
cintra says:
Since the above I posted a task via sms to twitter and it worked fine, though it did take longer to appear..
Posted 16 years ago
xstala says:
hi guys,

It's Crystal from Twitter support, just wanted to let you know that we're looking into this. I think it's a problem with mismatching follower information, hence, it looks like certain permissions aren't there when they are. This is conjecture, but I'll let you know when I have more information. We're looking into it.

Thanks for your patience,
Crystal
Posted 16 years ago
mileszs says:
Thanks Crystal. I feel like I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth if I complain about a missing feature in either Twitter or RTM, what with both being free. I am happy to hear that you folks care enough to look into it. Thanks again!
Posted 16 years ago
hnchuong says:
Everyone experienced this. I think once this get fixed, an notification should be emailed to everyone.
Posted 16 years ago
iukhan says:
I agree with hnchuong. A notification email should be send via email.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thank you for looking into it Crystal, and for being so persistent Emily. Your work is very much appreciated!
Posted 16 years ago
paustin says:
Wow, kind of shocking that this issue has gone on since Jan 19th. More that a *month*.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I know, right?
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Mine is working now... at last!
Here's a check you can do. When you view rtm's twitter page, can you see 'message' and 'nudge' actions? If so, it's set up properly and should be working.
Posted 16 years ago
dfego says:
Verified working! Yay!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I have sent an email to RTM over a week ago..no reply! Frustrated. I have added and deleted in Twitter and nothing is working!
Posted 16 years ago
bcaoyonan says:
Just to let you know this is now working for me again. WooHOO!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Working for me. Yay!
Posted 16 years ago
pgalves says:
Working for me!
Posted 16 years ago
xstala says:
Guys,

Sorry for the delayed update, it's been busy with bug fixin' around here. This should be fixed; if you have problems with it, you might just need your Twitter cache to be cleared, in which case, write:

support@twitter.com

and just give me your username, reference rtm, and request a cache clear.

Thanks!
Crystal
Posted 16 years ago
robboedwards says:
All working. Brilliant, thank you very much.
Posted 16 years ago
Crystal, great to hear that this is fixed! Thanks for the update :)
Posted 15 years ago
bleivian says:
Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I think its messed up again.... hasn't worked for me all day...
Posted 15 years ago
jfox95, this was unfortunately due to a temporary delay earlier today with processing Twitter messages on our end. It should be fixed now, and any tasks added by direct message should be in your RTM account.

I apologise for the inconvenience -- if you experience any further problems, please let us know. Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
deepkapadia says:
stopped working for me. Any updates?
Posted 15 years ago
deepkapadia says:
I should added more details in my previous post. I am trying to add tasks using google talk via twitter. I was able to do so and today I get the message saying "rtm does not follow you".

When I look at my RTM profile, it does show twitter on my following and follower lists.

Any idea why I might be facing this issue?
Posted 15 years ago
deepkapadia, this sounds like it may be a caching issue on Twitter's end (this is what was happening to people's accounts before) -- I would recommend trying Crystal from Twitter's instructions for support:

"if you have problems with it, you might just need your Twitter cache to be cleared, in which case, write:

support@twitter.com

and just give me your username, reference rtm, and request a cache clear."

Hopefully the Twitter folks can get your account fixed up!
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.