Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

gmail create task is missing

shoutchens says:
I've been using RTM for several weeks and find it to be perfect for my use.

This evening, I noticed that the "create task" pull down menu option is no longer available. I reinstalled the RTM addon and restarted Firefox, but it did not help.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks,
Steve
Posted at 7:39am on January 11, 2008
lstep says:
Yes, I've go tthe same issue here. But I'm using Google apps., maybe it's supported only for gmail.com accounts?
Posted 16 years ago
dylan.obrien says:
Same issue
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
me too, but in standard gmail
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We're checking into this -- thanks for your reports.
Posted 16 years ago
dylan.obrien says:
I don't know if this has something to do with it, but I did log into a seperate gmail account while still logged into RTM.

Anyway, I tried uninstalling the plugin, renaming the extension folder, reinstalling and all that jazz, but it still doesn't work.

Thanks for looking into it!
Posted 16 years ago
graeme.lennon says:
Same thing here, vanilla gmail, not Apps or multi-account confusion. Also, auto-create tasks based on tags or stars stopped working at the same time.
Posted 16 years ago
bittercrash says:
Auto-create tasks doesn't work. 'Create task' is missing.
Posted 16 years ago
This issue should now be fixed -- Gmail rolled out a new version with different code, so we had to update this feature to use the new code. (You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.) Please let us know if you continue to experience problems. Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
shoutchens says:
Thanks Emily. It's working for me now.

I love this product!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yep working here too. Thank you!
Posted 16 years ago
dylan.obrien says:
Thanks for the quick fix!
Posted 16 years ago
raleighretalk says:
I'm still having this issue
Posted 16 years ago
s.hind says:
I have just started to get this issue also: I didn't have it this morning.

It's also affecting the make a task from a Star functionality also.
Posted 16 years ago
This issue should be fixed once again (same issue as above -- Gmail rolled out another new version with different code). You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.

If there are any further problems, please let us know. Thanks! :)
Posted 16 years ago
tomkephart17 says:
Emily:

I was having this problem earlier today after installing the add-on for the first time. I disabled NoScript temporarily, restarted Firefox, and your add-on worked. Enabled NoScript, restarted Firefox, and it was still working.

Now I'm not certain whether you made your changes at the same time and my testing was coincidentally at the same time :) but I thought I'd pass the information along.

Keep up the great work. The GMail interaction is outstanding!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm still having this problem. I even tried disabling all other GMail scripts and addons as well as No Script all to no avail. Any ideas?
Posted 16 years ago
ballen says:
Me too...The only thing I was playing around with was integrating google reader with gmail using Better Gmail 2.03 and read/deleted some of my feeds..
Posted 16 years ago
ballen says:
I fixed this on my computer...I use Better Gmail 2.03 and treied one of the new skins, Gmail blue...once i picked "none" or the "grey and blues" settings, create task re-appeared...
Posted 16 years ago
raleighretalk says:
I just upgraded to the new version and still no "Create Task" option under More Actions. It was broken before the upgrade and remains so.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm new to RTM, but I am seeing only the "Create Task" option while in an email but not while I have an email selected in the inbox. Is what you are experiencing?
Posted 16 years ago
ballen says:
Ok...updated to the new better gmail and the new RTM...no add task again.....
Posted 16 years ago
raleighretalk says:
Hmmm... I just realized I only have the Create Task option under More Actions when I have an email open and not when I select it in the list. Could have sworn it worked from the list a few weeks ago. Any comments from the RTM gang on how it is supposed to work?

PS - thanks for pointing this out Duffy
Posted 16 years ago
paulswartz says:
I'm still seeing this issue as well.
Posted 16 years ago
ppennington28 says:
If your using Better Gmail 2.0 clear the cache and change the skin to Gray and Blue or none. (Tools > Better Gmail 2 > Skins).
After you select the skin you may have to manually reload the page (right click > reload). My browser got hung up on loading.. so I closed the tab and relaunched gmail.

For whatever reason rtm is not working with Better Gmail's blue skin.
Posted 16 years ago
paulswartz says:
I'm seeing this issue and I don't have Better Gmail installed. I'm even seeing it with no other extensions enabled.
Posted 16 years ago
We've just updated this feature (as Gmail released new code again) -- this may fix some of the issues being experienced in the last few days. You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.

For those looking for the "Create Task" menu item in the "More Actions" dropdown, this is only available on individual messages (it won't work on the list of messages). Hope this helps.
Posted 16 years ago
paulswartz says:
Works like a charm. Thanks emily!
Posted 16 years ago
alexander.pache says:
Hi,

there is this issue again. I cleared my cache and reloaded but still no "create task" in pull down menu. Does anybody have the same problems again???
Posted 16 years ago
shoutchens says:
Works for me too! Thanks.
Posted 16 years ago
0cean8lue says:
I'm having the problem still. I've dumped my cache and restarted everything but alas, no love.
Posted 16 years ago
juntakei says:
I have same problem. I can see the small space that shows tasks but can not see "create task" in the menu.
Posted 16 years ago
This issue should now be fixed -- Google changed their code again, so we had to update this feature to use the new Gmail code. (You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.) Please let us know if you continue to experience problems. Thanks! :)
Posted 16 years ago
juntakei says:
Today, I am still having the same problem. I can see the side box that shows list of task. But there are no "create task" in more action pull down menu. I tried both widows and osx environment and the result is the same. I am using gmail in English version and latest one. The test was done after clearing all the mozilla cache and restart the program. Also to find out the problem, I removed the all add-on program expect "RMT for gmail" which relate to gmail. The other function that add task by putting star or putting tag also don't work yet. Any suggestion to find out the cause? Thank you in advance.
Posted 16 years ago
juntakei says:
Somehow, the function of "add start" and "put a tag" works fine now. But still I can't find "add task" at the menu. Now I am fine with adding star function and enjoining the new capability.

Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
fauxpas says:
Mine has not worked for a couple of weeks. I have the add task box, but none of my tasks show up.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Just had this problem start. Stars and "ToDo" labels don't turn emails into tasks. Also, the create task entry has disappeared.
Posted 16 years ago
bodie says:
Have had these problems for at least the past week despite all mentioned workarounds performed repeatedly.
Posted 16 years ago
syntaxsystem says:
I've been using add-on Stylish and "Fe mails" as style and hit this problem. After some trials, New task form appeared when I removed the style.
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
Nope, still not working. I have had this issue for a few weeks, almost since installing RTM for Gmail. As others have noted, it may be linked to Better Gmail 2, as I had that installed. However, after uninstalling BG2 and clearing the cache the problem persists, and on two Windows boxes -- one XP, one Vista.
New version of Gmail (with Older Version link available), current Firefox, up-to-date RTM for Gmail, etc.
RTM is a great product and service, but it would be really nice if this feature worked.
Peter
Posted 16 years ago
o.nguyen says:
Same problem here with the new version pushed by Google Apps today.
Posted 16 years ago
g.bay says:
I am also having this problem today. Any other suggestions besides clearing cache and restarting? (Which I've already done.)
Posted 16 years ago
This issue should now be fixed once again. Google changed their code again, so we've updated to use the new Gmail code.

(You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.)

Please let us know if you continue to experience problems. Thanks! :)
Posted 16 years ago
o.nguyen says:
Now it works like a charm, just after a simple reload. Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
Clear cache, restart Firefox, and there it is. Yea!

One question: will Better Gmail 2 interfere with Create Task? It seemed to before, but maybe the two were unrelated.

I want to use BG2 but not if it messes up Create Task.

Emily?

Peter
Posted 16 years ago
Peter, it shouldn't be affected by Better Gmail 2 (although if you do notice a problem that's fixed by disabling BG2 and reloading Gmail, please do let us know :) Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
It's gone again.
No Better Gmail, emptied cache and restarted Firefox.
Sigh...
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
Bump.

I am bumping this to get it near the top again not to be a pain but because there are obviously on-going issues with RTM for Gmail.

I am a big fan of both RTM and of the Gmail plug-in, and I fully realize that most of us get this excellent service for free (aren't Pro users) and that it must be a labour of love for the RTM team.

At the same time, it is important to get this issue worked out. I am actually anxious to give RTM some money in the form of a Pro account but I would like the software to be solid before doing so (as you do with any software trial). There are a few threads about different RTM for Gmail issues.

To recap:
- RTM for Gmail 1.0.1 mostly works fine: the task pane is there, tasks entered here or on the RTM site sync up, reminders work, etc. All of that is good and well executed
- but the Create Task pull-down action disappeared on me again. It was working, then it disappeared, then it came back, and now it's gone again
- for a period of time the option to create a task when applying a label also wasn't working. I haven't tried that recently, as I much prefer the pull down option
- I was using Better Gmail 2 but in case that's the problem it is now disabled. Other Add-ons: Back to Top, Deskcut, Google Toolbar, Google Web Accelerator, IE Tab and Tor Button. However, these have all been constant during the it-works-it-doesn't-work cycle
- I have emptied the cache and rebooted a number of times over the last few days. No dice
- both RTM for Gmail and Firefox are up to date
- I am using the new Gmail (Older Version link visible) and all other RTM functions work fine. It's just Create Task that is missing, and yep, it's when I have an e-mail actually open, not in the list view
- running XP

Thanks for any help, Emily. As I said, I am more than happy to send some money your way.

Peter
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I started having a similar problem with automatically adding tasks through tags / drop down "create task" is no longer available / working.
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
Wow, it must be a pain in the butt to keep having to update code to conform to the code that keeps changing on the google software. Those computer geeks at google seem to know all the work arounds, but how can the RTM programmers possibly know know enough to fill in all the cracks, when they don't even have access to the google book of secrets? I am assuming they don't have access to the google book of secrets since they keep having problems with changing google code and individual browser issues.
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
Update: in order to gather more info, I grabbed a notebook I haven't used in a while (WIndows XP, updated, etc.). This machine never had Better Gmail on it (in case that's an issue).

I:
- updated Firefox
- cleared the Firefox cache
- downloaded RTM for Gmail from the RTM site
- restarted the browser

The task panel appears in Gmail (I had to log into RTM through the task panel) and the tasks work fine -- but again no Create Task pull-down option when I have an e-mail open.

The Settings are configured to use the pull-down, not the labels.

To aaronhh's comment above, I agree. I am not complaining, just sending in info in the hope that the RTM team can get this working.

Peter
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I am having a problem with Starring messages. I am running two separate Gmail for Domains accounts (different domains) in browser windows. The task panel appears in each account. On one account, I can star messages and create tasks. On the other, I cannot.

I have tried rolling back to Firefox 2 (had 3.0b4). No luck. I have uninstalled/reinstalled. I have no other extensions whatsoever. I have also tried opening the problematic account by itself with no luck.

Both Gmail for Domain accounts have the "new" Gmail. Both have the "create tasks when starring messages" selected in prefs.

Any ideas? This is so very confusing...

Chris
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
To follow up, I also do not see the "Create task" in the More Actions pulldown.
Posted 16 years ago
andrethehunter says:
I have the same problem.

Likewise starring email no longer makes tasks and the "Create tasks" is not appearing in the More Actions drop down for an open email.
I tried reloading gmail, clearing my cache and restarting the browser. Even reinstalling the RTM addon didn't fix the problem.

This problem started occurring for me today
Posted 16 years ago
jpbogers says:
Same problem. It works on mu notebook, it does not work on desktop....
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
another log for the fire...this worked before. Now I can't star or apply a label to create a task. And "Create Task" no longer appears in the drop down.

I'm going to guess that it's a change on Google's end that RTM needs to catch up.

I certainly hope that Google wasting our time with April Fool's jokes yesterday didn't contribute to this. [/grumpy]
Posted 16 years ago
jgbrenner says:
This problem continues for me as well, in both regular gmail and Google apps accounts. It is comprehensive, ie. cannot create task no matter how I choose to create tasks in "Settings". It persists in Firefox 2 on XP after clearing cache and restarting.

A plea for sustained attention to this, as it renders this otherwise superb extension much much less useful!

Thanks
Posted 16 years ago
david.scatigna says:
Same problem here :(

No more task creation when I label a message

Bye
Posted 16 years ago
Google has indeed changed Gmail's code once again -- we're looking into this and will get our code updated to handle their changes ASAP. Thanks to everyone who's been reporting this!
Posted 16 years ago
andrethehunter says:
YAY!! seems to work now! Thanks heaps RTM team, nice quick resolution.

See, THAT'S why it's worth paying for Pro ;-)
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
Working as of Thursday morning. Thanks Emily!
Peter
Posted 16 years ago
Not a problem :)

If anyone is still experiencing problems, you might need to clear your browser's cache if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.

Hope this helps!
Posted 16 years ago
acepelon says:
I have never had this working, but just started trying yesterday. Latest FF, Gmail, BetterGmail2, etc. The Task tab appears, but Starring and add task via label doesn't work for me. Tried clearing the cache as well as clearing the cache- nothing has worked yet.
Posted 16 years ago
boaglio says:
Same thing here =(
Posted 16 years ago
pgogineni says:
acepelon, I have been having the same problem the last few days. I am using ff 3.0b5, gmail, and bettergmail2. Tried turning off bettergmail and no improvement.. Also cleared the cache. Any other tips to get this working? Very useful feature and missing it already.
Posted 16 years ago
acepelon, boaglio, & pgogineni -- thanks for letting us know.

We're checking this out -- Google may have changed Gmail's code again (which means we'll need to update our extension to handle the changes).
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
I posted on April 3 that it was working, and now Add Task is gone again.
Sigh...
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
Wouldn't it be nice for Google to send a code update notification email to all of the respectable companies that need this information?

I thought Google was a friendly company.
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
Still not working.
Cleared cache, restarted, current versions of everything, etc.
Peter
Posted 16 years ago
jeremy.joslin says:
Using latest non-beta FF on Mac OS 10.5.x

Choosing to "create task" from drop-down is a dead link and nothing happens.
Posted 15 years ago
pwolchak says:
Emily, update?
We haven't heard from you on this for a few days. (Waaaay back on April 10. Gee users are demanding, eh?) It would just to be nice to get an update.
Thanks.
Posted 15 years ago
perelin says:
hi,
same problems here (no task item in dropdown, no task by star, no task by label). firefox 2.0.0.13 on ubuntu 7.1

:(
Posted 15 years ago
bradmccormick says:
Just started using RTM for Gmail three days ago --- love it. It's been working fine.

This morning, it won't add tasks when I star a message.
Posted 15 years ago
surblimity says:
Starting using RTM for Gmail a few days ago. Discovered and enabled the "create tasks for starred emails" feature today. It worked exactly once and then stopped completely. Also missing "create task" in the "More Actions" menu. Running Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Mac OS X 10.5.2.
Posted 15 years ago
Google has changed Gmail's code once again, and seems to have rolled out the new version to all users today. We're currently working to get our code updated to handle their changes -- I'll post again as soon as we're updated.
Posted 15 years ago
We're now updated for the Gmail code changes.

(You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.)

If you continue to experience any further problems, just let us know. Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
acepelon says:
Emily, starring the email works now to create a task, but the labeling doesn't. I cleared the cache several times, shut down the browser, changed the label, etc, no luck.

I think I am ok with just the star feature, but I thought you should know.
Posted 15 years ago
pwolchak says:
I think the drop-down create task was working briefly, but now it's not again. Cleared cache, restarted Firefox, open e-mail, etc.
Peter
Posted 15 years ago
antoine.bertier says:
I just installed the rtm gmail extension, and I see my tasks in the sidebar but there is no create task menu, and starring or labeling does not create task.

I am on Firefox 2.0.0.14 with latest gmail in french, cleared cache...

Any clue ?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Just installed the RTM add-on for Firefox today, and I am seeing the same issue that antoine.bertier, pwolchak, and acepelon mention above : "Create task" is missing from the "More actions" dropdown, and labeling does not create a task.
Posted 15 years ago
Google has changed Gmail's code once again (they seem to like doing this on a weekly basis :)

We've updated the extension to handle the changes -- you may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.

If you continue to experience any further problems, please let us know. Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
antoine.bertier says:
I still can't "Create Task" after clearing cache and restarting Firefox.

When you say the extension has been updated, what version should we have since the only version on the site is 1.0.1 and Firefox does not find any update for the rtm for gmail extension. So where are we supposed to get it ?
Posted 15 years ago
It looks like there's a new version of Gmail in the wild (again) that some users may be getting -- we're looking into this.

antoine.bertier, the current version is 1.0.1 -- part of the extension loads dynamically from RTM, so it updates automatically once Gmail is reloaded. Hope this helps!
Posted 15 years ago
antoine.bertier says:
Thanks emily, at least I am sure I did all I could on my side ;-)

I'll retry next week.
Posted 15 years ago
pwolchak says:
It's back (Yah!). But I guess we'll only have it for a week or two, based on Emily's comments. This is a feature I really like but it's getting to the point where I may stop using it, just because then I won't be bothered when it's gone again.
Peter
Posted 15 years ago
antoine.bertier says:
Personnally I have yet to see it work !
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Is this currently working for other people?
For me it is not.
Current setup.

Forefox 3.0b5
gmail 2.0
Customize Google 0.72 (to get rid of adverts)

Steve
Posted 15 years ago
wella.maria says:
Gmail 2.0.0.14
cleared chache, restarted.
Still, RTM won't let me use the labels, star or "create task" functions.

:(
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Using Google Apps for enterprise. US English / Turn On New Features etc.. / New Version and starting emails / create task does not exist!
Posted 15 years ago
pwolchak says:
Yep, it is dead again for me as well.
Peter
Posted 15 years ago
slogoo says:
It's not work for me. Firefox/2.0.0.14, Gmail2.0.
the "create task" pull down menu option is no longer available.
Posted 15 years ago
Looks like Google have started rolling out a new version of Gmail today -- we're working to get RTM for Gmail updated to support this.
Posted 15 years ago
We've updated the extension to handle the changes (you may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it).

If you continue to experience any problems, please let us know. Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
derek.conjar says:
Ouch, Gmail changed again.

I hope RTM and GTDinbox don't start fighting again. Is anybody here using GTDinbox?

If so, is it still working with RTM, or working at all?
Posted 15 years ago
slogoo says:
It's working for me now,Thanks Emily! :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Ach, It's missing for me. :'(
Posted 15 years ago
derek.conjar says:
Everything works fine on my end.
Posted 15 years ago
hokkwan.kan says:
It's also missing for me :-(
Tried deinstalling, clearing cache and reinstalling it, but still no "create task" pull down menu option
Posted 15 years ago
m.a.harradine says:
I too am missing the create Task option in the more actions drop down list. Also, creating tasks by "starring" a message is not working (even though this is enabled in Googlemail settings).
Am a new user of RTM and love it, but would like this little issue sorted.

Thanks
Posted 15 years ago
antoine.bertier says:
Still not working for me either.
Posted 15 years ago
Hmm, it looks like Google have started rolling out a new version of Gmail for some users -- we're looking into this and will get RTM for Gmail updated for the new version.
Posted 15 years ago
shoutchens says:
The "create task" selection is missing this morning. Cleared cache and reinstall did not help.
Posted 15 years ago
jnachman says:
Good morning...
Not seeing the create task in a message this morning. I am using Firefox and Google Aps mail. Same problem as above.
Thanks for the help!
JN
Posted 15 years ago
wolfgang.augustin says:
The same problem from my side ...
Posted 15 years ago
kmich says:
I too am missing the Create Task option. Further, the Create a task by Starring and Labeling appear broken as well. Is this the case with everyone else?
Posted 15 years ago
msmida says:
I have the same issue. I can create standalone Task only without association with e-mail message. I am used to work with Gmail apps and plane Gmail and in both environment it behaves the same way. It worked fine just two days before. By the way with English (US) language version only. When I switched language to let's say English (UK) Create Task Option disappeared as well as auto-create task by Starring/Labbeling stopped to work? Has someone else experience with another language version?
Posted 15 years ago
21agdgcf says:
I have same problem ie cant creat task from within Gmail
Assume google have changed something again
Not sure about language issue
Posted 15 years ago
luca.palli says:
Now it work again for me!
Posted 15 years ago
We've updated the extension to handle the latest Gmail code changes (you may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it).

If you continue to experience any problems, please let us know. Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
msmida says:
Task creation issue has been solved for me when I installed GTDInbox extension. After install I have got the message that the system does not work properly but can be fixed finding some piece of info in AJAX (?) necessary for creating and renaming labels. After a short auto-repair process I have been told that GTDInbox found the needed info (unfortunately I did not notice the details displayed), but now both RTM and GTDInbox work properly ! I use Firefox 2.0.0.14,, GTDInbox 2.0.8.1 and RTM for Gmail 1.0.1
Posted 15 years ago
msmida says:
In addition to my previous post I recorded finally the process of GTDInbox install/repair so it may help emily to discover the issue (could be Gmail issue). I started the GTDInbox installation with already installed RTM for Gmail 1.0.1. Below is the lst of messages across the install/repair:

---- after basic install I switched to Gmail and I have seen ----

"Resolve" button pressed

GTDInbox relies on a key piece of information in Gmail's internals for some of its more advanced functionality, such as creating/renaming labels (at your request). Occassionally, this piece of information will move and GTDInbox will lose some functionality.

GTDInbox can find the information it requires, but it's an intensive process. So we left it for you to decide when you run it. It may take several minutes, but it is completely harmless. To begin, please click 'Fix Gmail AJAX' below.

"Fix Gmail AJAX" pressed

Confirm:
GTDInbox will attempt to retrieve an important piece of information used for automatically adding and renaming labels. However, it is an intensive process and you may need to restart Gmail after you've finished. Are we okay to procees?

"Ok"

-------- the repair process took 10 soconds -------------

Alert::
GTDInbox successfully found the required information. (xn3j332teoj6kttlwrhwyiqecggum8, Zb.Fea.Db.at)

"Ok"

--------------------------------------------------

And after that RTM for Gmail and GTDInbox work properly.
May be this helps!

Posted 15 years ago
shoutchens says:
Works for me now too. Thanks Emily!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
still isn't working for me :( tried clearing the cache and restarting the browser but no luck.. Unfortunately I joined in the middle of this problem 2 days ago so i have yet to see it work!
Posted 15 years ago
21agdgcf says:
Have re installed RTM Gmail add in, cleared cache and restarted Firefox and still no tasks in dropd down

Any idea's gratefully received
Posted 15 years ago
21agdgcf says:
I am also now haveing to re login to RTM on GMail ever 30mins or so
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
No joy here.
Couple of things I noticed.
Depending on if you have grease monkey installed or not in
the first place when you install rtm add-on you end up
with different versions of grease monkey.

Looking at the error console the following errors only
appear when the rtm add-on is enabled and
gmail is viewed.

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: about:blank
Line: 0

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'filter'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://mail.google.com/mail/?account_id=s.traylen%40gmail.com#inbox
Line: 1

Warning: Unknown property 'text-overflow'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://mail.google.com/mail/?account_id=s.traylen%40gmail.com#inbox
Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'width'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ymdfwq781tpu

Warning: Use of getBoxObjectFor() is deprecated. Try to use element.getBoundingClientRect() if possible.
Source File: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ymdfwq781tpu
Line: 0

there are lots of the above but it not obvious how you get a full dump out from the error console.

Posted 15 years ago
sndoyle says:
I have just installed the RTM extension and am having the same trouble. Create Task is not coming up in and starring and labelling mails do not create tasks automatically either.

Am using FF 2.0.0.14, new version of Gmail (English UK), and latest RTM plugin.

I see some others have had trouble with English UK too - Is this a known issue not to work?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Create-by-starring still isn't working for me, and surprisingly my tasklist is now suddenly empty. I'm on FF3, new version of Gmail (UK English), and latest RTM plugin.
Posted 15 years ago
paulswartz says:
I'm also seeing this problem and have been for a while now.
Posted 15 years ago
For anyone experiencing problems with seeing the 'Create task' option in the 'More Actions' dropdown, or with starring/labeling to create tasks not working, would it be possible to let me know which language you're using Gmail in?

Unfortunately it looks like Google has been changing Gmail's code for versions of Gmail other than US English -- so if you're using Gmail in another language (even UK English), it might be worth trying to switch to US English and see if that helps.

We're looking into this to see if we can support the non-US english versions of Gmail too.

Hope this helps!
Posted 15 years ago
gdv says:
I confirm the problem when using Italian as language in Gmail. The problem disappears when moving to US English
Posted 15 years ago
bay879 says:
I'm having the problem with US English.
Firefox 2.0.0.14
RTM plugin 1.0.1

Tried clearing the cache, disabling any other plugins, changing language, etc.

I see the task list in Gmail and in the Calendar, it's just the "create task" in the actions dropdown that I'm not seeing. Like some others, I joined in the middle of the issue, so have yet to see it work.

Posted 15 years ago
bay879 says:
works now...
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I just started using RTM in Gmail ... I can see Create Task in the drop down list, and it worked the first few times I used the option, but now it doesn't add anything at all to the task list.

Is there a maximum # of tasks that can be added this way?

I'm using Firefox/US English/new Gmail ...
Posted 15 years ago
kthomas says:
Same problem here-- just starting with RTM-- no "add task" in actions-- language is set to English (US), FF 3.0 RC1, cleared cache, restarted, prayed to local internet deities, even tried FF2 on another machine...
Posted 15 years ago
norrin says:
I was just digging deeper into the endless possibilities of self management RTM provides, as I noticed the same problem over here: No 'create task'-option in the actions drop down menu.

My Gmail-language is set to German, using FF 2.0.0.14 with RTM add on 1.0.1.
Posted 15 years ago
kmich says:
I'm experiencing the same lack of functionality again as well. It looks like you guys at RTM are in a perpetual cat and mouse game with the Gmail team. Given your fantastic product and history with Google I'm surprised they aren't a bit more supportive of you by at least providing you with update notifications. I'd call my local Google rep for assistance ;) Good luck curing the ailment and thanks again for your wonderful tool.
Posted 15 years ago
Google's changed Gmail's code once again... we're currently working to get updated for this :)
Posted 15 years ago
We've updated the extension to handle the latest Gmail code changes (you may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it). Please let us know if you continue to experience problems.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that as Google has been changing Gmail's code for versions of Gmail other than US English -- so if you're using Gmail in another language (even UK English), it might be worth trying to switch to US English and see if that helps. (We're looking into this to see if we can support the non-US english versions of Gmail too.)
Posted 15 years ago
kthomas says:
Afraid we've had no luck here. Have tried with several accounts in US-English, including a newly created account, on RC1 and various versions of 2.x. I suppose we could pull Flock out... :)
Posted 15 years ago
kthomas says:
Note: star to create task works, just not add task via actions ...
Posted 15 years ago
rj.h says:
HELLO!!! Is anyone from RTM even reading this? The last sign of life from RTM is on 6/3/08, and the problem was NOT solved. Will this problem be resolved or id it time to ditch RTM for something else?
Posted 15 years ago
kthomas says:
We're having a lot of other problems with GMail's underlying code in other contexts, so please remember this is a free product and give them a little time-- every response here likely slows down their dev efforts.

That said, more info appreciated :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
As a freeloader - ie non-pro user. I agree with kthomas.

A little bit of feedback would be appreciated however.

How about a status page? - or a little bit more transparency on the gmail plug-in page at the top, not the bottom of the page as these issues appear to be ongoing.

After all a new user who expects the gmail firefox extension to be flakey will be pleased when it works and unsurprised when it doesn't instead of expecting it to work and being frustrated when it doesn't :)

As a new user my experience over the last week has been: read the blog posts about GTD (from delicious link). sign up, implement the solution, get it working well, have the plug-in function disappear unexpectedly, not know what i've done wrong and now spend far too much time trying to sort it out, so far unsuccessfully. I would guess that's not the user experience RTM are trying to achieve.

I wish them every success finding a solution because it worked great when it worked.
Posted 15 years ago
pwolchak says:
I had simply given up on this, because it was broken more often than not, but then I came across two e-mails just now that I would really like to link RTM tasks.

And it is not working. And hasn't been since at least June 3, apparently. I am running U.S. English, cleared the cache and restarted.

Here's a suggestion: pull this feature. As noted above, this is very frustrating for users, but if RTM simply says "For the following reasons, X and X, this feature is a bad idea at this time and we are discontinuing it" then at least we won't expect it to work.

Pull it, figure out how to get it to work all the time, and then re-introduce it.

And I say this as a big fan of RTM. I like your stuff enough to pay for a Pro account. But the time has come for this feature.

Peter
PS: MilkSync is brilliant and works every time.

Posted 15 years ago
rj.h says:
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I fully understand it's free, but why offer it if you're not going to keep it updated. Google code changes should be anticipated and planned for accordingly. I'm not expecting an immediate update by any means. But, this problem is not a couple days old. It's approaching 2 weeks.

It also doesn't seem like a very good marketing strategy. If you're trying to attract paying customers, it seems you would like to build a good reputation for updates and support.

If the resources are not in place to provide support, then don't offer it. My time is worth something too.
Posted 15 years ago
We've been up-to-date with Gmail's code changes since I last posted. Unfortunately Google changes Gmail's code fairly frequently (and on a pretty unpredictable schedule!) but we're usually updated within a few hours of the new code being public.

RTM for Gmail is working for the majority of users, but I should mention that Google does test their new code by making it available early to a very small number of Gmail users; if you're in that group, unfortunately your Gmail version isn't generally available yet (and therefore we can't update our extension to work with it, as we don't have access to it). We're working to improve RTM for Gmail so that it will be able to notify you if you happen to be on an unsupported version of Gmail.

If you're still experiencing problems with this feature, there are a few things you can try:

1) Check to ensure that you're using Gmail in US English (unfortunately we're not able to support the non-US English versions of Gmail at this time).

2) Make sure you're not using a beta or release candidate version of Firefox 3 (we're not able to officially support pre-release browser versions, sorry, but are working on full support for the final release of Firefox 3).

3) Check that you have third party cookies enabled for RTM (required to allow logins in this feature). To ensure this:

1. Go to the 'Tools' menu in Firefox
2. Click on 'Options...'
3. Click on 'Privacy'
4. Press the 'Exceptions' button
5. Enter 'rememberthemilk.com'
6. Press the 'Allow' button

4) Clear your cache and cookies and restart the browser before trying again (just in case there's a cache issue).

5) Try to access Gmail via HTTPS (replace the 'http://' in the URL with 'https://') to force Gmail (and RTM) to load via a secure connection (this can help if something is blocking RTM from loading properly).

6) Lastly, there are a number of Firefox extensions and Greasemonkey scripts available that make modifications to Gmail. If you are experiencing a problem with this feature while using another extension that modifies Gmail, we would recommend disabling the other extension, restarting Firefox, and seeing if that resolves the issue. If you do encounter an extension conflict, please tell us so that we may investigate further (however, please note that we cannot guarantee compatibility with other extensions or scripts).

Hope this helps!
Posted 15 years ago
mehardin says:
As of 12:30 AM EDT on 6/24/08, The RTM extension is not working AT ALL in my google aps account. No list on the right, not tasks tab in settings. OTOH, it is working just fine in my xxxxx@gmail.com account. Go figure. I'm not griping, beggars can't be choosy, and I can always access my tasks from the RTM page. I just thought you'd like to know what we're experiencing out here.
Posted 15 years ago
deanloh says:
As of 18:30 GMT +8 on 6/24/08 (Singapore time), my RTM extension has stopped working. So mehardin is not alone in this.
Posted 15 years ago
olivercastell says:
for info: RTM firefox plugin for Gmail not working for me either, the RTM sidebar is not even visible. Was working ok this morning so guess this is within the last few hours. Will keep an eye on this thread for any updates. :)
Posted 15 years ago
jajaja3003 says:
RTM doesn't work for me either.
It shows up, but no entry "Create Task" and no auto-creation of tasks when i star emails (although it's switched on in settings).

- Firefox 3.0 final on openSUSE
- no Greasemonkey installed
- using https connection
Posted 15 years ago
20miler says:
I am experiencing the same issue - Create Task is not available, adding a specific label to an email does not create a task, nor does starring the email

In my situation, I do have the list of tasks available on the right side of my google apps email and am able to successfully interact with it.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the plug-in as well as clearing out my private data:

- Firefox 3.0
- No Greasemonkey
Posted 15 years ago
luca.palli says:
Exactly the same situation as 20miler.
Posted 15 years ago
getjet says:
Same problem here, there is a text field to create new tasks, but starring an item or adding a specific label do not create a task. The rest of the application seems to work perfectly fine. The auto-create problem persists after disabling BetterGmail2.

- FireFox 3.0
- https
- cache cleared

Despite this, thanks for a wonderfully useful application!

It would just add so much if the auto-task creation feature were working.
Posted 15 years ago
ftheory says:
same here - star does not create a task

-Greaseless FF3
Posted 15 years ago
Google rolled out a new version of Gmail's code, and we've now updated (once again!) to use the new code. (You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.)

If you continue to experience problems, we'd much appreciate it if you can submit a Gmail issue report via our new support system.

Please select the issue that you're experiencing from the list on the left, try the troubleshooting steps (if any are shown), and then submit your report -- this will help us greatly in resolving Gmail issues, as your report will provide all the information that we need to investigate further.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
getjet says:
Excellent work! It now works like a charm!

Thanks.
Posted 15 years ago
Awesome, glad it's working!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
For what it's worth: I have firefox 3.0 and Remember the Milk for Gmail V1.0.2, and New Version Gmail. The drop down list on my Gmail does not have 'Create Event', nor Create Task. However, the list of RTM tasks is present in the right panel in Gmail - and is excellent.

I would like to get Remember the Milk for Gmail functioning - it would be a very useful addition to the RTM experience.

Patrick - Hereford UK
Posted 15 years ago
kthomas says:
No luck here, FF3, cache cleared
Posted 15 years ago
Google rolled out another new version of Gmail's code, and we've now updated to use the new code. (You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.)

If you continue to experience problems, we'd much appreciate it if you can submit a Gmail issue report via our support system.

Please select the issue that you're experiencing from the list on the left, try the troubleshooting steps (if any are shown), and then submit your report -- this will help us greatly in resolving Gmail issues, as your report will provide all the information that we need to investigate further.

To everyone who's submitted reports via this system already -- thank you! It's been a huge help to us in tracking down issues.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
This is just not getting any better. Even free it's too expensive. Thank you. Bye. Peace.
Posted 15 years ago
hayward.ac says:
Changing G-mail to US english worked for me
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I've been having the same problem as everyone else. I've tried the troubleshooting steps and now see that support is not offered for non-US English versions of Gmail. Fair enough, but could you at least let us know if it will be offered for other languages in the future? It seems a bit silly to ask people to switch to US English Gmail simply to get RTM tasks to work.
Posted 15 years ago
tejaspatel says:
I have it as US English and still does not work for me. Even Starring a message does not create a new task.
Posted 15 years ago
jamuraa says:
I also have this problem, with the language set to US English.
Posted 15 years ago
alex.keybl says:
Just stopped working on US English. And also, Starring a message doesn't create a task.
Posted 15 years ago
craig.camp says:
This is a bit crazy. Making tasks from email is a basic need. I have done everything above but nothing works. The contact function does not work and when you edit details in Gmail it does not make any changes in the online version.
Posted 15 years ago
Google rolled out another new version of Gmail's code (yet again!), and we've now updated to use the new code. (You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.)

If you continue to experience problems, we'd much appreciate it if you can submit a Gmail issue report via our support system.

Thanks everyone! :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I started having this problem again July 22. Tried all suggested solutions but still not working.
Posted 15 years ago
erkorb says:
I'm having this issue too. I tried uninstalling the Plug-in, then reinstalling. Still no Create Task pull down.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Is there anyone who is NOT having this problem? I assume RTM is working on it, but why haven't we heard any updates? This is extremely frustrating!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
same issue as the people above, can't create task from the email. on the inbox page, only if you go into a specific email then can you create a task of it.

Also to note, when on the inbox page everything in my more actions tab is gray'ed out except my labels. Why is that

Fix or update please
Posted 15 years ago
bmatheny says:
I have to "Create task" action in the "More Actions" drop down (I'm using version 1.0.3) but when I click it, nothing happens. When I star an email or label it appropriately, the task is created though.
Posted 15 years ago
There may be a new version of Gmail's code out that we aren't seeing yet (as they sometimes make it available to a small number of users first), but if you continue to experience problems, we'd much appreciate it if you can submit a Gmail issue report via our support system if you haven't done so already.

Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
bdrieselman says:
I can not add tasks directly from my email. There is not a option in the drop down to add to tasks and when I star the email it does not update the task list. Please help!
Posted 15 years ago
karl.olson says:
Same problem here. No "create task" and starring an email does not create a task. Not noticing any other problems.
Posted 15 years ago
btait1 says:
Problem confirmed. I am considering transitioning to RTM because of the great intergration with GMail, but I can't create tasks from my email nor when I start or apply a tag to an email
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I just discovered that I can no longer add tasks directly from email. I was creating a task when I label an email with to-do label. I am using the latest version of Better Gmail 2, Skins Gmail Blue. I am also using latest version of Gmail and RTM on a Windows PC.

I have checked Gmail / Settings; made sure RTM in Gmail is showing all tasks (no filtering), double-checked to be sure to-do label was applied to messages in Gmail, closed/re-opened Gmail, made sure I was checking the correct day in RTM for Gmail (today is default) .

Nope. It's not working. Anybody have any clues as to what is up?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
It just started working! All I did was delete one of my labels in Gmail which should have zero effect. My point is that's the only action I took.
Posted 15 years ago
harryldanieliii says:
I am having the same issue and have been for 2 days. I sent in a support ticket yesterday but have not heard anything.

Posted 15 years ago
tbarrett says:
Same problem = no "create task" and starring an email does not create a task - nor does labelling.
Posted 15 years ago
noah_weiss says:
I'm having the same issue now too.
Posted 15 years ago
erikstrup says:
I always have the "Create Task". However, starring/labelling only occasionally creates a task - annoying.
Posted 15 years ago
ajs.cbr says:
It seems Google rolled out a new version of gmail's code.
RTM for Gmail stopped work this morning.
I now know when gmail's team rolled a new gmail's code because i use Google redesign and it starts to get a bit messy
Posted 15 years ago
ajs.cbr says:
back to work... just after the new labs got to work too: drag and drop boxes, and other 2 features...
Posted 15 years ago
We're regularly updating to handle new versions of Gmail's code (as their changes can affect parts of RTM for Gmail's functionality), but if you continue to experience problems, we'd much appreciate it if you can submit a Gmail issue report via our support system.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
gmakor says:
I'm having the same problem as tbarrett and others: no "create task" and starring an email does not create a task - nor does labeling. I have updated all my add-ons, which all seem to work, except RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
dblwide says:
i am having the same issue as gmakor, this morning "create task" was available and working, this afternoon, not so much.
Posted 15 years ago
del.bigger says:
Oops - gmail subject goes into a Task(RTM) and everything else into notes:
Priority: 1
Due: Mon 3 Nov 08 at 8:00AM
Repeat: never
Estimate: 30 Mins
Tags: .Nov, 03
Etc.
May need a fix for this.
Posted 15 years ago
jawn says:
> i am having the same issue as gmakor, this morning "create task" was available and working, this afternoon, not so much.

Same here, don't know if it is related to having gtdinbox 2.0.9.3 installed.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
same issue here, reinstalled rtm but no luck, it does not show up on the right hand side at all anymore.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
just found out the issue here for me at least, I did not add rememberthemilk.com to tools/options/exception (in firefox).

after I did this rtm appeared in my gmail again

richard
Posted 15 years ago
elizbrown says:
Starting 9/25 I get the message "you are not logged in to RTM" so I log in, even though on the RTM page it shows I am logged in. Click Refresh on the gmail sidebar. Nothing happens. Still says "you are not logged in".
Close browser and reopen. Still the same.
No change this morning, either.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Posted 15 years ago
jebworks says:
the create task function in GMail is off again. Have latest version installed on latest version of FF3. Happened before repeatedly but I can't detect a pattern. Guess we'll just have to wait until it appears again. Annoying, as I then have to go back to all the messages I want to create a task for!
Posted 15 years ago
alankelon says:
just to note: create task is still off.
Posted 15 years ago
wearethedeckers says:
I still cannot see the create task option
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
hrm, just installed rtm gmail plugin for first time and not seeing the create task option. Labelling emails doesn't add them as tasks either. Google roll out new code again?
Posted 15 years ago
gregtallent says:
Same issue. Just disabled and enabled RTM, cleared the cache in FF, and starring an e-mail doesn't create a task.
Posted 15 years ago
jonesclp says:
Still no go....damn this sucks...back to pen and paper
Posted 15 years ago
hbraberg says:
not working for me either.
Posted 15 years ago
tiwari.vikas says:
not working for me as well.
Posted 15 years ago
marcos.melero says:
RE: elizbrown says:

>Starting 9/25 I get the message "you are not logged in to RTM" so I log >in, even though on the RTM page it shows I am logged in. Click Refresh >on the gmail sidebar. Nothing happens. Still says "you are not logged >in".
Try enabling third party cookies.

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I am glad I found this post.. I've been pulling my hair out for an hour. I guess gmail changed their code again.
Posted 15 years ago
michelle.corbin says:
I noticed that the Create Task menu option is no longer available either. I tried all of what was suggested here, but I still have the issue.
Posted 15 years ago
waltzzz says:
Is it working for anyone? Not me.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
working for me, i am using google apps for your domain
Posted 15 years ago
iron says:
How did you make this work?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Well, apparently I'm not alone. Good to know.
Posted 15 years ago
nabilalk says:
I'm having the same issue and have submitted a report to the RTM support staff. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this shortly.
Posted 15 years ago
lightweb.design says:
Having this issue now. Apparently just started - was working fine earlier today.
Posted 15 years ago
michaelrshannon says:
I am also having this issue - Firefox 3.0.3, No other Gmail extensions active.
Posted 15 years ago
lightweb.design says:
My Firefox is also 3.0.3. I do have Webdevopler and Roboform toolbars.
Posted 15 years ago
paul.bakaus says:
same here - issue comes and goes (currently gone) :(
Posted 15 years ago
gregtallent says:
still gone!
Posted 15 years ago
lightweb.design says:
I'm surprised that more people are not chiming in. It makes me wonder if it is isolated. I have tried different computers/operating systems/accounts, it doesn't seem to make any different. I really like this functionality and miss it.
Posted 15 years ago
lightweb.design says:
It's back, I'm happy to report!
Posted 15 years ago
gerbert.jansen says:
For me the 'create task option is missing on both XP / Ubuntu 8.04, both FF 3.0.3.

The issue persists irrespective of enabling the 'Better GMail 2' extension, or even all ist individual counterparts in GreaseMonkey scripts.

Switching the Google Toolbar 5 on/of doesn't help either.

Also: adding a task using the Task settings 'apply star' or apply label' doesn't work....
Posted 15 years ago
highplace says:
For me it disappears several times a day and this morning the panel show but no tasks. I have to clear the cache and then log out and log back in for it to work properly.

Please, please make the wonderful RTM in Gmail work....
Posted 15 years ago
And once again, Google has rolled out another new version of Gmail's code and we've now updated to use the new code. (You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.)

Also, I should mention that our new status blog is being updated now each time we update to handle Gmail's code changes. It's a good place to check if we're already aware of the issue.

Thanks everyone! :)
Posted 15 years ago
kthomas says:
The OP title is "gmail create task is missing." I personally have never seen it work :), alas. It would be nice if there was a link to where to submit this Gmail issue, specifically. Thanks very much!
Posted 15 years ago
arvid says:
Hi kthomas,

you can use the following link

arvid
Posted 15 years ago
jhollington says:
After having been working fine for the past few days, all Create Task options are again missing -- no "Create Task" menu option, and no tasks are creating when starring or labelling e-mails.

This is reproducible in either my Google Apps for Domains account or my original Gmail account, on a clean Firefox configuration with no add-ons installed other than RTM, and all Google Labs and gadget features disabled. I even tried it on a Firefox 3.0.3 machine, since an update to Firefox came out last night as well.

I'm guessing it's the revised/modified script issue again. I've submitted a bug report to support.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
is it possible to include this functionality in your new gadget?
Posted 15 years ago
0cean8lue says:
Like jhollington, I too do not have the "Create Task" menu option and a task is not created when clicking to star a message in my inbox. All extensions are disabled, I cleared all my cache and other "private" data, restarted FireFox 3.0.4, etc. Thanks for checking into this!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi,
I'm using Flock with the newest version of gmail and US english, etc., and I don't see the Create Task - help!
Posted 15 years ago
arvid says:
hi milan,

Flock is currently not a supported browser. Please use FireFox to be able to use this FireFox Extension.

arvid
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Create task is missing....again!
Posted 15 years ago
richlin71 says:
Create task isn't there for me. FF3.0.5 on Mac/Leopard. Doesn't work, even with all other extensions disabled.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
SAme here. Missing again. Irritating to say the least - not only for us but also the RTM guys having to constantly keep up. I think you need to get the association to email included in the Labs gadget.

While RTM is awesome, the integration being offered by the Labs core task tool might be enough until this issue goes away.
Posted 15 years ago
bernd.salewski says:
no "add task" feature in gmail here.
Posted 15 years ago
ravindrabg says:
me too!!! i badly need it
Posted 15 years ago
tcoslow says:
Gone here too. Cleared cache, uninstalled all extensions and only reinstalled RTM and still no luck
Posted 15 years ago
sjoerd.haverkamp says:
Missing here too. I've done the same thing as tcoslow...
Posted 15 years ago
krissy says:
Hi Everyone,

If you're having issues with this we'd appreciate it if you could lodge a GMail issue report via the support system so we can have a look at it for you.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
You cannot post under this topic as it is locked.