Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

conflicting edits with offline

nah.why says:
let's say i go offline, and while driving to a party i delete at task. At the party, i leave my laptop in the trunk, locked of course :)
Then say at the party i realize that i have to do one more step in that same task, so i use my friend's computer and go online to RTM and add a note to that task and postpone it (online, it's not yet deleted).

When i get back home i go to sleep, and forget all about this situation. Next morning, i connect my laptop back onto the internet.

what will happen to this task?

It's had a simultaneous deletion and edit.

I suppose i could just try it, but haven't got the time right now.
Posted at 6:59pm on December 17, 2007
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
In this case, the task will be deleted when you sync your offline version.

Hope this helps.
Posted 16 years ago
nah.why says:
well, i doubt that would be what i want. But i ask because these are always hard problems, in all areas of data versioning.

I think, ideally, some conflict indicator with a clear indication of the conflicting changes, would be best.

If the offline change was to complete the task, rather than delete it, will the additional note be there? Are you saying that the syncing offline version always applies changes, no matter what the online state?
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Actions performed offline are queued up to be applied once you come back online -- so if you complete or delete while offline, and then synchronize, that will be the last action affecting your tasks.

In both your examples, the additional note will be added to the task, but the complete/delete will be the last action that's applied (and the state of the task will reflect that).

We have no plans to introduce a user interface for conflict resolution management, sorry.
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.