Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Adding tasks by voice? Anything better than my solution?

korey99 says:
Every couple of years I like to revisit the question of "how do I add a task I thought of while driving?"
Currently, I use Google Assistant, through IFTTT, into RTM. I say "Hey google, add a task." then afterwards she asks me "when do you want to be reminded?"
The result is a reminder in Google, unfortunately with a date/time I didn't want.
I use and IFTTT trigger for new Google Tasks, and I add an RTM task with the following name: "GTasks: {{Title}} "
I then review those incoming tasks in RTM directly (because sometimes they're a disaster due to bad speech-to-text), then run a milkscript to add some tags and remove the prefix from the title.
It works, but it's not my favorite, especially since it adds a bunch of reminders to my calendar. Anyone have any better luck? I even tried other to-do list software just for the purpose of entering new tasks for transfer with IFTTT, but didn't find any with a good voice experience.
Posted at 5:17pm on April 30, 2024
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi korey99,
Thanks for sharing the details of your setup!

Based on Google discontinuing the conversational actions that meant you could use Google Assistant to talk directly to Remember The Milk, catching a Google Task via IFTTT is a good idea to get it into your Remember The Milk account.

I hope this helps reassure you a bit at least! 💙
Posted 13 days ago