Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

RTM in Google Sidebar

cek1227 says:
Reference closed item 1984.

I followed the instructions to get this to work with Firefox as my default browser, and still, it opens up a new tab from the RTM gadget in the sidebar. The IE cookies are set (verified by closing IE, restarting, going to RTM, and boom - my tasks!). But, click the login from the gadget, and still it starts a new tab in Firefox.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted at 8:30pm on August 30, 2007
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
cek1227, it should be automatically logging in if you're logged in with your browser already (so it doesn't seem like it's reading IE's cookies). I'm not sure how Google Desktop works exactly (and it may change with different versions), so it might be worth logging in with any browsers that you have installed and seeing if it's reading the cookies from any of them :) Can I ask which version of Google Desktop you're using? Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
cek1227 says:
According to Help/About, I'm running: Google Desktop 5.1.0706.29690-en-pb.

When I go to RTM (http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/modules/googleig/) from Firefox or IE, it works exactly like you'd expect. Therefore, the cookies seem to be fine on both browsers. In the sidebar, however, it comes up instead with the login dialog, and then logging in opens a new tab in whichever browser is the current default. The login dialog remains in the sidebar.

I tried a little experiment with Vista sidebar (which uses html; Google uses xml and javascript). I created a little gadget with several variations (iframe, frameset, a/href). In every case, the behavior was the same. The login dialog appears, and logging in opens a new tab in a browser. But, when I use that same html in a browser instead of Vista sidebar, it works exactly like you'd expect it to - the RTM shows up in the same window instead of opening up a new tab. (I hope this brief description makes sense.)

So, I don't know if the problem is in the two sidebars or if there is something that RTM can do. Or perhaps the problem is related to some setting on my Vista???

I can email you the html for Vista sidebar if you like, but it's really straightforward.
Posted 16 years ago
We've done some quick testing, and it doesn't look like the latest version of Google Desktop is reading any cookies. So unfortunately that means that the RTM gadget doesn't currently work in Google Desktop -- sorry! We'll see what we can do to get this working in the future.
Posted 16 years ago
cek1227 says:
Thanks. Boo Google. Apparently Vista Sidebar doesn't either, then.

However, if I can unzip the gg package, I should be able to hardcode my own id/password for my installation.

G'day!
Posted 16 years ago
cek1227 says:
I may have found the answer. It seems to work fine for me, but I don't know if it will work for everyone.

In the RTM XML file, I changed the module from type URL to type HTML and used an iframe, with src = "http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/modules/googleig/ ".

Perhaps there's a reason it wouldn't be universally acceptable, but I think it'll make me happy.

I can send you the URL of the test version via email, if you like, but I won't post it publicly in case you'd rather not have a hack published.
Posted 16 years ago
I think there are a couple of limitations with this approach (for example, it may not dynamically resize the gadget), but if it works for you, feel free to use it like this :) We'll look at creating a gadget specifically for Desktop in the future.
Posted 16 years ago
tessat says:
How do you actually do this? I have never created a gadget.
OR, could you share this?
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I'm also curious, cek1227.
Posted 16 years ago
rbaum says:
Latest Google Desktop doesn't find www.rememberthemilk.com/services/modules/googleig/rtm.xml when I try to add gadget. If this isn't working, there's no point me using Remember the Milk.
Posted 16 years ago
rbaum, have you tried the full URL as well?

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/modules/googleig/rtm.xml

If that doesn't work, it may be worth reporting the issue to Google (as the URL definitely exists).

Hope this helps!
Posted 16 years ago
dcoops says:
I can't wait for it to work with google gadgets!
Posted 16 years ago
cek1227 says:
Sorry for taking so long to respond. This works, although there are a few downsides - like the tab key doesn't advance the cursor from field to field, for some reason. I have not played much with the parameters to really make it work well.

But ... from the sidebar, search in Google gadgets for:

http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/109131591124899821933/myrtm4.xml

Or, use the Google Gadget Editor to create your own, and modify the parameters.

]]>

Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.