Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Any way to NOT sort subtasks by parent task sorting?

chirmer says:
Hello!

New to RTM and am migrating tasks from my current task manager to here to see how it goes. One thing I'm struggling with are subtasks. I never, ever want them sorted by the same method as the parent task. I can't even think of a single instance where this would be helpful (I practice GTD). Is there a way to sort subtasks in a separate way from the parent tasks?

For example: I have a list of tasks. I sort this list with an advanced search that sorts first by due date, then by priority. Then in this list I have tasks with subtasks. These subtasks are the steps needed to complete the parent task, and must happen in a certain order. Step 1, step 2, etc. But I can't sort them that way in the list, because it's trying to sort by due date and then priority.

Is there a way to disable this? I feel like this should be a setting we can change, because there are soooooooooo many reasons why one would NOT want subtasks to sort like the parent tasks.

Thank you!
Posted at 3:14pm on April 28, 2017
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi chirmer,
Thanks for describing what you're doing—that's helpful feedback.

Currently there's no alternative behavior, but it would be possible to adapt to this with one change.

It sounds like you're using this list as your primary view for these tasks? And you want the subtasks to sort by drag and drop?

If so, what you could do is to create a Smart List, even just one that searches list:name to make the Smart List a separate view.

Then, you can use your advanced sort for that Smart List to view your tasks, and change your list to drag and drop (for example) so your tasks' subtasks would sort this way.

Hope this helps, but let me know if that's not quite what you're looking for!
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
When new to RTM I also struggled with this concept until I realised that tasks and sub tasks are sorted by the settings for the "List" (not Smart List) that they are in.

So first off, put your Main tasks with Sub tasks into a List called (lets say) "Project".
Allocate Due Dates and Priorities to the Main tasks as needed and sort the List by drag and drop.
All the Main tasks and sub tasks in the List "Project" will be sorted by drag and drop.

Then create a Smart List called (lets say) "Projects" (note you cannot use the same List name as "Project", List and Smart List names have to be unique).
Sort this Smart List by Due date and then Priority.

All your "Project" Main tasks will then appear in the "Projects" smart list, sorted by Due date and Priority, but with the associated Sub tasks sorted by drag and drop.

Hope this helps.
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
Sorry, should have said at the start, Main tasks are sorted by the Smart list they are in, sub tasks are sorted by the List the Main task is in;
Not "tasks and sub tasks are sorted by the settings for the "List" (not Smart List) that they are in" this is wrong, my mistake.
Posted 6 years ago
chirmer says:
Andrew and Martin:

Both posts were very helpful, thank you! I initially thought it always sorted subtasks by the sort of whatever list you were viewing, even if it's a smart list, which threw me for a loop. It's good to know that it's just the master list that sets the subtask sorting. It's still a bit clunky but I can definitely make this work - I'll just shift my working task lists from regular lists to Smart Lists. Thank you both!
Posted 6 years ago
robert.ward says:
I was going to suggest the same as Martin. Nice explanation!
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
Thanks Robert.
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.