Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Implementing "Next Item"/Sub-Lists with Just a Search Term

(closed account) says:
Just had an idea.

The "next item" mentality, which I've also seen described as "nested lists" (if we're thinking the same thing) could be implemented by simply implementing a new search operator -- one that reflects the position of a task within a list.

RTM allows you to create new lists for each project. Each of those could be the "nested list" or "sublist" people desire. The master list can then be

I'm not sure precisely how the syntax would work. You could perhaps have it be toptask:[list name] if you were just concerned about assuming that the "next item" would be whatever was topmost; you could then assure yourself that things in that sublist were in order via the already-existing priority and due date abilities.

If you wanted to go into really fine granular control and allow position to be a numerical value, you'd have to introduce a search operator that could encompass two variables, position number and list name, and I've not seen that in the search terms yet; that might be a little weird.

You could then incorporate "next items" into your master list by using the OR operator.

(toptask:Exercise AND toptask:Diet AND toptask:Workplace) OR (whatever variables you'd normally use to define your 'master' list)
Posted at 9:00pm on March 7, 2007
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.