Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Recurring tasks lose their recurrence after deleting completed tasks

(closed account) says:
When you have a recurring task, you cannot delete the completed instances of that task properly. The "delete" command appears to delete the task completely, "orphaning" any instances of the task that may remain uncompleted. The effect is to turn a recurring task into a non-repeated task.

Example:

I have a task that repeats daily. I complete it every day for 50 days. Then I go to view completed tasks and delete all of them. The next day, I go to check off the daily task. It should immediately spawn the next day's instance of itself. But instead, it disappears forever.

Before somebody tells me to just not delete tasks, that's not an option. I have thousands of tasks in my account, and performance is INCREDIBLY slow unless I regularly delete the completed instances of recurring tasks.

Desired behavior:

The deletable tasks that show up in the "completed" view should be one-off children of the "parent" recurring task. Deleting them should have no effect on the recurrence of the parent task.
Posted at 5:11pm on March 6, 2007
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
armchairdj, thanks for your feedback on this. Deleting currently stops a task from repeating in the future (although it's possible to re-set the repeating option to make it continue). We may provide an option to delete tasks without affecting the series in the future.

Regarding the slowness issue, can I ask which browser and version you're using, and also which operating system you're using? We'd love to investigate this and see if we can make things faster for you. Thanks!
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
I use Firefox on Linux, Firefox on OSX and Firefox on a PC (depending on what sort of work I'm doing). Whether I'm at home on DSL or at work on a huge backbone connection, browser response time is very slow. I do have a LOT of tasks. I use the same RTM account to track daily work and personal to-do stuff, grocery lists, long-term goals, and lists of hundreds of books, movies and cds i want to check out. so i guess i'm probably an extreme case......
Posted 17 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
armchairdj, thanks for these details. Does your account seem slow to load, or have you noticed that it's slow when performing particular actions? If you're able to let us know which parts are slow, we can look into what's causing this.

Also, as you're using Firefox on all computers, can I ask if you have any extensions that are common across all browsers? There's a possibility that something external such as an extension could cause the application to behave slowly. Thanks!
Posted 17 years ago
cmjb says:
Ah, I wondered why the recurrences of tasks kept disappearing! I was starting to think I was going mad! I guess I should have noticed that it happened after I cleaned out the Completed list.

In my opinion, this is a bug, not a feature. It's not behaviour that a user would expect. Please fix, since now I can't clean out my completed task list. In fact, no threats, but I think it's a show stopper. Afraid I'll be looking for a different to-do list program without a fix.
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
I agree that it's a pretty big showstopper. Anyway, in terms of extensions across browsers, I have Firebug (but disabled for RTM due to known incompatibilities), Flashblock, Web Developer Toolbar, View Formatted Source, Tab Mix Plus, Google Notebook, Foxmarks, Advanced Bookmark Search.

The application is fairly slow to load, but it's especially slow when I am attempting to rapidly create a number of new tasks. I know the keystrokes by heart, but the system lags badly and I have to wait many seconds between steps.

T (to create task)
(long wait - new task box shows up)
type task name and hit return
(long wait - task registers as added)
1 (to set priority)
(long wait - task floats to the high-priority part of the list)
n
(long wait - task unselects)
T (to create next task)

... on and on, till I wonder why I ever invested so much in memorizing all of these "time-saving" keyboard shortcuts in the first place! I'd almost rather use the non-AJAX Google calendar/homepage widgets!

One other thing that could be a factor: I usually have 3-6 other tabs open, usually with big JavaScript Google apps loaded in them. But even when I close everything else to focus on RTM, the slowness recurs.
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.