Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

How do I search for ("Due" - "Time Estimate") > "Today" AND "incomplete"

(closed account) says:
Hello,

As a new RTM user, I am unable to come up with a search query that allows me to essentially see when I should start working on a specific task.

Since RTM lacks task start date, but it can be effectively computed based on due date and time estimate, I thought I might be able to create smart-lists that only display tasks which cannot be completed by due date.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted at 3:51pm on February 15, 2007
sean.pfister says:
RTM is kind of designed with the Getting Things Done format in mind. In that system, your calendar has to have "hard edges", which means that only things like meetings, planned telephone calls, etc go there.

We often use our calendars to hold lists of things we'd like to do on Monday, or things we think we should do on Monday--but that's what a list is for, not a calendar (according to GTD).
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks for the explanation, although I am somewhat disappointed.

My needs are very basic (and probably "outlookish"). I still think, instead of enforcing paradigms, it's better to let them evolve on their own merit. Providing start date doesn't hurt who do not want to use it. Actually, all the building blocks are already there -- just need a new advanced search operator, maybe "mustStartBy:" (by subtracting "Due Date" - "Estimate" fields).

P Adhia

Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.